Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

I don't know that system so can only tell you what I have heard. I think 22T is going to be to high but if it dont get hot then go for it.. 32p is right for the spur tho...
Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
overrev

The slash 4x4 pinion is a mod .8 the pinion for the revo or the e maxx will fit. If you are runnig the mmm castle/nue 2650 on 2s make sure you have a high c rating on the batteries our you will end up damaging them you would be better of running it on 3s . A 22 tooth pinion will make that motor pull more amp so gear it down.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
avconslt
My Feedback: (22)

Overev,

I am currently running it on 2S 30C 5100 MAH batteries and have a 2S 60C 6500 MAH MaxAmps battery on its way! According to Traxxas, when you install the center diff you are limited to a 2S! I also have a 20T & 21T pinion on there way in case I need to gear it down! Thanks.

Richard
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
drgnerth

I finally got the chance to bash mine yesterday. I bent a front shock shaft, but considering how hard i was on it, i'm satisfied with the durability. Is there an upgrade to the stock shaft? I don't want to buy different shocks just wandering if theres a upgrade for the stock shock.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: drgnerth

I finally got the chance to bash mine yesterday. I bent a front shock shaft, but considering how hard i was on it, i'm satisfied with the durability. Is there an upgrade to the stock shaft? I don't want to buy different shocks just wandering if theres a upgrade for the stock shock.
I'm assuming you've got the standard 4x4, ditch the stockers and get the Big Bore shocks or the Proline's.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM
MTboy

Aluminum caps and titanium shafts work great.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:57 PM
drgnerth

I have the caps already, i'll have to get the shafts this week. I don't want to spend $60 for the big bores.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
MTboy

The caps and shafts are the way I'm going to go as well, when I need too..lol So far I havent bent or broke anything and I run atleast 3 packs every other day.
Let us know what you think about the shafts when you get them.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
samfordmt

so i just got my 4 wheel parts slash 4x4....( i cut the Adler out of Greg Adler and left the Greg because thats my name...so thats pretty cool) im currently waiting for the battery to charge..i know im going to get different batteries and a better charger but ive heard a lot about the crappy shocks...ive got upgraded shocks on a HPI Nitro MT i was wondering if there would be a downside to going with these shocks....i like them so far on the nitro but i know the nitro is heavier....i think the slash will be used mostly for bashing at home and on the track but eventually i want to do some local racing....also ive got the humvee body for the MT i havent painted it yet but i like the look of it on the slash...is there anyone else who has replaced the body with a different one? id like to see some pictures before i commit. thanks for all the help in advance
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Dave ESPI

I sold my 1/5th scale HPI baja SS and in part of the trade I got a 4x4 Slash.

It is my first Traxxas truck since the SLEDGEHAMMER back in 1992..... I really am impressed with how much abuse the 2 WD ones take at the local track with the "bash night" racers.

I'm going to try to make mine bulletproof before I run it and really blow away the competition.

GOOD THREAD THUS FAR !

I hope to be able to add some good mods to it. I have an idea for a cover over the Tension Nut, (Update soon.)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Lins

lacofdfireman... definitely go through ebay or even better paypal if you went that route and complain. it has done me wonders where people have tried to screw me over, but I always make sure and give positive feedback on those that have done me well.

Anyway, what are some good tips on dialing in the alignment on these? I'm a plane and helicopter guy, and the last vehicle i owned was a super blackfoot. I actually bought the Slash for my girlfriend, no really, it is all hers! She even replaced the broken rear hub carrier on it at lunch today with the new STRC ones! There is still 3 feet of snow outside, so we have only been playing on the street/driveway, and I can't even get it to full power with a 8.4V, 3800mah battery without it getting really squirrely. Is that as good as it is with the tires it comes with and not being an on-road vehicle to begin with (it is going to just be a park basher for now, even though I'd love to build an on-road racer)? I don't want to tune it for the road and ruin it when we can finally take it off-road.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Budman68
My Feedback: (4)

Installed a new 3s in it tonight.  Going to have to buy a center diff soon.  My guess is 50 mph to end and completely uncontrollable when you mash the throttle.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: Lins

lacofdfireman... definitely go through ebay or even better paypal if you went that route and complain. it has done me wonders where people have tried to screw me over, but I always make sure and give positive feedback on those that have done me well.

Anyway, what are some good tips on dialing in the alignment on these? I'm a plane and helicopter guy, and the last vehicle i owned was a super blackfoot. I actually bought the Slash for my girlfriend, no really, it is all hers! She even replaced the broken rear hub carrier on it at lunch today with the new STRC ones! There is still 3 feet of snow outside, so we have only been playing on the street/driveway, and I can't even get it to full power with a 8.4V, 3800mah battery without it getting really squirrely. Is that as good as it is with the tires it comes with and not being an on-road vehicle to begin with (it is going to just be a park basher for now, even though I'd love to build an on-road racer)? I don't want to tune it for the road and ruin it when we can finally take it off-road.

Thanks!
They're reallyy fun and great bashers, not to squirrely box stock. I run mine with Lipos and it's fine, but I've got the Platinum Edition which has some much needed upgrades, mainly the shocks, center diff and for onroad use most importantly, sway bars. But to fine tune it a bit for onroad use, lower the ride height. Move the shocks to the inner most hole on the shock tower and the outer most hole on the A-arms, that should help quite a bit with onroad handling. Also, the biggest help would be to get the swaybar kit. I think another reason you're having problems is that it's just too cold outside which limits the adhesion because the tires get too cold to hook up. But start with the shock mounting change since it's free, then go out and get the swaybars.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 PM
yotaman1991

so after reading every page here i was wonder if the durability issues have been fixed or am i gonna run into the same issues when i get one in a few weeks. i,ll be using the stock battery till i save more and get a 2s and charger. i,ll be getting the rtr.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

so after reading every page here i was wonder if the durability issues have been fixed or am i gonna run into the same issues when i get one in a few weeks. i,ll be using the stock battery till i save more and get a 2s and charger. i,ll be getting the rtr.
I got the RTR about a month ago and havent had anything but the plastic spacer in the slipper go out. I run it atleast 6 times a week and nothing so far has bent or broke.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 PM
yotaman1991

is there a way to get rid of some of that hidious sound the body makes when it lands? my idea is to put felt washers on the body posts or something. any other ideas?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

that won't really help...if you put felt over the whole body you might be on to something, otherwise it's just a noisy body.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 AM
MTboy

I use the plastic washers under and on top of the body to make it a tight fit. Works out pretty good for some of the noise..
Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM
yotaman1991

ok thanks for the quick body answers. lets get into batteries and run times with the stock running gear. what batteries do you guys use and what kind of times are you getting? i'm thinking about a 20-30c 2s 5000 lipo from turnigy,flightmax(zippy),or tenergy for a first lipo. they seem more in my price range.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
MTboy

I get 15-25min on my flightmax 2s 25c 4000 depending on how hard I am on the throttle.. Just ordered 3 2s 20c 5000 that should be here today. Hope to get a little bit more out of them but will see once I have a chance to run them.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Budman68
My Feedback: (4)

Any idea why the center diff directions say do not run with 3s lipos?  All the advertising quotes speeds with 3s. I'm confused.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 AM
gohstwrighter

sory this took so long but i just found this sight as for your cover tray cut out a far size hole and hot melt a pece of window screen in it it will let the componets breeth and keep out all but the little dirt /sand particals this should fix your problems with the heet and if u want more trash to stay iut try brydle vale netting.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM
it8ezbngrn

You need to use the diff with the slipper for 3S is what they are saying. It only refers to Platinum owners. It means the drivetrain can't handle 3S pretty much, so 4S would be even worse.

Gohstwriter- Its spelled G H O S T W R I T E R or maybe you meant GHOST RIDER That's OK, It gohs write a long wit the rest of yur post.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
birdman1968

Looks like the parts problems for the Slash 4WD are close to an end . I called Taxxas recently and got C Diff parts sent no questions asked , including a metal shielded bearing upgrade . The Traxxas rep seemed alot happier now that they have parts to send . Super stoked . Picked up a complete slipper clutch assembly , and rear axles as well at the LHS . Finally .

Anyone have input on the Fastlane CVD kit ? I am wondering if their rear axle stubs will hold up longer ??

Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
MTboy

It's funny how I always read about people getting things replaced but the 3 times I called they tell me I will have to wait for stock. It is nice to see that others have had good things come from them tho and that things are being stocked up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.