Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
overrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

yes it transfers power were it is needed which improves cornering.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 PM
1fastsob
My Feedback: (33)

yeah one of my mlst2's had that...and i really didnt like it...it seems when it transfered power it just drove the tires crazy! and plus i like to slide a little bit
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
overrev

It won't stop you from sliding as long as the surface will allow you to. Setup really depends on how you like to drive my setup might not work for your driving skills.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 PM
1fastsob

okay..then whats the best center diff to get? i found the traxxas prebuilt for $38 at amain..is there a stronger one out there? i want the best one even if it costs more..i dont like stripped gears
im just trying to see what will fit in my budget..i may be able to get the caliber m3's next week hopefully
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
overrev

I don't think anybody else makes one for the 4x4 yet. Just try the tires first then go from their what works for me may not work for you.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
1fastsob

yeah thats my plan so far..and then ill go from there...does anyone have the sway bars? im sure the pe or ultimate guys do..but im just curious how much difference itd do on this truck
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
overrev

I have the the P.E. and yes the sway bars help.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:14 PM
1fastsob

im startin to think i shouldve gotten the pe lol..im gonna end up spending more than the cost difference!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
simplecj

ORIGINAL: Frostbyte

what shock/spring combo you guys using? im using losi greens in the front and losi blues in the rear, and my lhs suggested 40wt oil, but now the front seems to not have as much spring to it.... any suggestions?
I'm using Losi Adam Drake 2 shocks with light blue T-maxx springs on the back and stock white springs on the front. I just used the oil that came with the shocks, so I'm not sure what wt it is. I think they help a lot, definitely made my rustler handle better and after adding the sway bar kit, my truck is a monster. If you don't have sway bars, get them!! Out of the box this truck wants to flip over all the time. Center diff and sway bars made a big difference.

Also, I set up following this: [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=506141]Slash 4x4 Supspension Setup[/link]
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM
ScottKelly911

Calibers are great tires and you'll notice a big difference intraction. Also, the Center Diff and the swaybars make a HUGEdifference, you also will get used to the different driving style quite quickly. The Center Diff really just allows the truck to have power to the wheels that need it. Cornering improves immensely. I'm running Associated 60 wt in the front and 50 wt in the rear shocks. I believe stock is 30 wt which is fine for tracks with a lot of small chattery jumps, but anything over a 1-1 1/2 feet, you really should go with a heavier weight. That being said, I have a friend who's pretty fast that runs 20 weight in his truck all around, but we all think he's crazy lol He does have really stiff springs though, not sure which he's using. I just ordered some Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy shocks so I might end up dropping down to 50 front and 40 or 45 weight in the rear once i put them on. The Slayden set-up that SimpleCJ posted is a really good set-up to start with and then play around from there. I'm also going to go with 1/8th scale buggy wheels and tires with 17mm adaptors once i get my new shocks and put my Monster back in. Should make for a really good set-up.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
overrev

Just a warning don't use the m3 calibers or bowties on the street you will wear them down quick.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM
1fastsob

trust me they wont see the pavement..ive got some anacondas coming in if i feel the need for speed lol
got my rpm arms in today and i love them!! also got my mini slash in teh pic too and yes i know my table is a mess..it gets that way when ur working on 2 rc's lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15518.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1423010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61125.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	1423011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65505.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1423012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87222.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1423013  
Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: 1fastsob

trust me they wont see the pavement..ive got some anacondas coming in if i feel the need for speed lol
got my rpm arms in today and i love them!! also got my mini slash in teh pic too and yes i know my table is a mess..it gets that way when ur working on 2 rc's lol
What tires are those on your mini-slash?I've also got a mini-slash and would love to get some good street tires for it. I've got Road Rage's for my Slash 4x4

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
1fastsob

they are the hpi vintage tires and wheels..26mm in the front and 31mm in the back, they bite really good on asphalt..im getting some anacondas for my big slash
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
MTboy

That mini slash is so cute..

I really hope to get out this weekend and run my truck. It's been a few weeks and I'm about to lose my cool..[]
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
it8ezbngrn

Please......I'm still waiting on a PE. This will be the first time I have all the hop ups before I have the truck.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Jgaff2

I've really got to get some of those solid aluminum (or whatever)driveshafts like on the slash. My Emaxx has those big fat plastic ones..
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Lovespicyfood
My Feedback: (1)

I FINALLY bought one of these today on sale at Hobby People!

Can someone recommend some 2s and 3s lipos from Hobby King? Will I have to mod the battery retention system to use them?

Are most of you using Dean Ultras on your setup? I have ~50 lipos for my helis/planes all with Dean Ultras. However, now that Hobby King is not able to sell their Dean Ultra "clones", they are pushing a new connector that is getting good reviews but is rarely in stock. I like Dean Ultras, but I HATE paying too much for them at the lhs...thinking about going with the Hobby King connectors...

Also, where would I buy the new pinion to run 3s at the fastest speed? Traxxas?

I have not done anything to my rtr Traxxas (charging the battery now). Do I need to check the gear mesh before using it?

Thanks!
Pete
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood

I FINALLY bought one of these today on sale at Hobby People!

Can someone recommend some 2s and 3s lipos from Hobby King? Will I have to mod the battery retention system to use them?

Are most of you using Dean Ultras on your setup? I have ~50 lipos for my helis/planes all with Dean Ultras. However, now that Hobby King is not able to sell their Dean Ultra ''clones'', they are pushing a new connector that is getting good reviews but is rarely in stock. I like Dean Ultras, but I HATE paying too much for them at the lhs...thinking about going with the Hobby King connectors...

Also, where would I buy the new pinion to run 3s at the fastest speed? Traxxas?

I have not done anything to my rtr Traxxas (charging the battery now). Do I need to check the gear mesh before using it?

Thanks!
Pete
HK Packs: I can say that the polyquest 5000 2s hard case packs fit as well as the flightmax hard case packs with plenty of room

Steve
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
1fastsob

the turnigy 2s 5000mAh black hardcase lipo's fit very well, however they are a little small but can be fit good with the included foam
the flightmax 3s 4000mAh lipo fit perfectly in the battery tray
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Lovespicyfood

Hi Gentlemen,

Thank you for the responses, I truly appreciate it.

It doesn't appear that HK has the 3s4000s in stock.

Would these fit?
3s4500
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mAh_3S1P_30C_

3s5000
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mAh_3S1P_30C_

I realize it would probably be safer utilizing hard case lipos, but it seems most of them are 2s. I would really like to go 3s. Having crashed many a heli and airplane, I've never had a lipo explode on me...even when bending them in crashes. Of course, I have handled these damaged packs very carefully to render them harmless.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 PM
1fastsob

lovespicyfood: i actually would sell you mine..its already got the deans plug on it and only has 3 cycles on it and id sell you a good deal in it..pm me and we can work out a deal
Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM
simplecj

Here's a pic of my baja body. Not the best pic, but wanted to get something posted.

My wife told me she had a Cricut Expression sitting in storage that her mom had given her for Christmas a few years ago. So, we went and dug it out, got it set up with a good program on my laptop, and all I can say is, why the heck didn't I know we had this thing?? It's awesome! I can cut any custom decals that will fit in a 12x12 area.

I'm going to start working on my Chevy Silverado body today. Gotta find some nice tribal designs.

Name:	Rp44014.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1424750  
Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
simplecj

Got the truck body done, here's a few more pics. I think they turned out pretty good. I love making my own decals, the Cricut rocks!

Name:	Mk26363.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1425040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90083.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1425041  
Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Lovespicyfood

I took out my 4X4 Slash today and should have done the electric tape mod. It was a gravel strewn dirt lot and my poor car started to make some very bad noises. Oh well...

What I really like about this car is how easy it is to break down. In less than 15 minutes I had the thing broken down to the bare frame. A quick soak in some warm soapy water and all the plastic parts are pretty once again.

Question, I went to my lhs to buy a new pinion and they had none in stock. I order some 30C 3s5000 lipos from Hobby King and am looking to buy a 19 tooth. I was also hoping to buy some replacement linear springs (Team Associated), but they didn't have those in stock either...

While I'm at it, is it advisable to upgrade the spur gear to metal? Or should I just buy some plastic spares? After breaking it down, I noticed that it is a little damaged from the rocks so I guess I'm going to replace it.

Also, will I need to buy a larger battery adapter for these new lipos?

Finally, what's the best online retailer to buy car stuff from?

Thanks for your advice!

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.