Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

simplecj: those bodies look very nice..naturally i favor the vw more but the truck still looks good..how much gearing did you have to do to get the slash to run with those tires? haha andi may have to get you to do me some decals
    4x4 slash with custom \"herbie\" bug body
    1/16 slash vxl with dune buggy body

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first official race is this weekend, I'm uuber excited..I'll be racing in the CORR 4WD open class..probably wont do the best but I'll give it my best shot..there was a guy with a 4x4 slash practicing while I was and i could keep up and outrun him when he tried to race me..who knows weird things HAVE happened..and hopefully I'll be getting my SC10 in so I can enter into 2 classes and better my chances lol..any suggestions on a first race?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood

I took out my 4X4 Slash today and should have done the electric tape mod. It was a gravel strewn dirt lot and my poor car started to make some very bad noises. Oh well...

What I really like about this car is how easy it is to break down. In less than 15 minutes I had the thing broken down to the bare frame. A quick soak in some warm soapy water and all the plastic parts are pretty once again.

Question, I went to my lhs to buy a new pinion and they had none in stock. I order some 30C 3s5000 lipos from Hobby King and am looking to buy a 19 tooth. I was also hoping to buy some replacement linear springs (Team Associated), but they didn't have those in stock either...

While I'm at it, is it advisable to upgrade the spur gear to metal? Or should I just buy some plastic spares? After breaking it down, I noticed that it is a little damaged from the rocks so I guess I'm going to replace it.

Also, will I need to buy a larger battery adapter for these new lipos?

Finally, what's the best online retailer to buy car stuff from?

Thanks for your advice!

Pete
    Are you running the stock VXL esc? If so, I wouldn't run 19T on the pinion. I was running 18T on a 2s and was hitting thermal shut down in just a few minutes. If you gear it with the stock 13 with your 3s you should be fine and be able to run nice and long. I've noticed running too big of a pinion is the quickest way to thermal shut down, Iused to think Iwas just going through packs really quickly. Now I'm running a MMM and even on 4s and a 18T pinion and a 52T spur it's staying nice and cool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

don't let the other cars psych you out too much, a little is good, too much is bad.
    OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, stock sprint 2 drift, Savage Flux (4S), slash (just a roller for now)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't change the gearing, still a 54 tooth spur with whatever the stock pinion is. It's definitely faster, yet not over geared. Would swap out for a 52 or 50 tooth spur if i'm wanting to show off. For now, stock gearing is fine.

What is the stock pinion?? I've had the motor out twice now and never bothered to look. I ordered a 19 tooth pinion for the slash, but again I was disappointed when it was apparently for the 2wd not the 4wd slash. Again though, for now stock gearing is fine.

I could cut some decals, all I need is an image to trace and approximate dimensions you want it cut to. I'm running low on material though, I'll have to make a trip to the crafts store and see what they have available. I just used the thin vynl that came with the Cricut. Would be willing to do it for a small fee to cover materials, and shipping/handling.

If you're having problems with thermal shutdown, you should get the Velenion fan and probably gear down a bit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you running the stock VXL esc? If so, I wouldn't run 19T on the pinion. I was running 18T on a 2s and was hitting thermal shut down in just a few minutes. If you gear it with the stock 13 withΒ* your 3s you should be fine and be able to run nice and long. I've noticed running too big of a pinion is the quickest way to thermal shut down, IΒ*used to think IΒ*was just going through packs really quickly. Now I'm running a MMM and even on 4s and a 18T pinion and a 52T spur it's staying nice and cool.
    Thank you for the advice, it is truly appreciated. Yes, I'm running the stock VXL. Bummer, why do they suggest a 19 on 3s when it can't handle it? I kind of wanted it to hit 60mph as that is the speed of my nitro 4-tec...to be able to do it with a clean electric is just plain awesome.

Where are you all getting your parts? My lhs has hardly anything so I have to go with the internet...

Regards,
    Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lovespicyfood

Are you running the stock VXL esc? If so, I wouldn't run 19T on the pinion. I was running 18T on a 2s and was hitting thermal shut down in just a few minutes. If you gear it with the stock 13 with your 3s you should be fine and be able to run nice and long. I've noticed running too big of a pinion is the quickest way to thermal shut down, Iused to think Iwas just going through packs really quickly. Now I'm running a MMM and even on 4s and a 18T pinion and a 52T spur it's staying nice and cool.
    Thank you for the advice, it is truly appreciated. Yes, I'm running the stock VXL. Bummer, why do they suggest a 19 on 3s when it can't handle it? I kind of wanted it to hit 60mph as that is the speed of my nitro 4-tec...to be able to do it with a clean electric is just plain awesome.

Where are you all getting your parts? My lhs has hardly anything so I have to go with the internet...

Regards,
    Pete
    No problem Pete, that's what we're all here for. I've learned so much on this forum, it's good to be able to impart some of my knowledge as well. I usually go to either the Hobby People in Encino or the one in Lawndale. There's a place called Hobby House that's in Reseda I think but have never been there. A REALLY good shop is in Torance called Pacific Coast Hobbies. I know it's kind of a hall for you but its worth it if you're gonna be down that way for some reason. I'm in Culver City, so I haven't explored too much up in your direction, but I'd think that there's gotta be something in Thousand Oaks. But if you just want to hit that magic 60+ mph mark, go ahead and throw it in, like I said, you'll hit the thermal in a few minutes but it will be fun just to see it hit those speeds, just don't hit anything! Let us know what ya do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: simplecj

Got the truck body done, here's a few more pics. I think they turned out pretty good. I love making my own decals, the Cricut rocks!
    Wow your bodies do look killer. Need some action shots to share with us..
    Keep dreaming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whats all this about getting 20% off if you have a tower hobbies membership ? i have never heard of anything like that and it doesn't say anything about it anywhere on the website. im going to be getting a slash 4x4 PE soon so i would really like to be able to get the 20% off.
    walking, walking, walking, ooo look at that plane, flying, flying, flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's hear from some of you running 3s lipos and what kind of gearing you are using...

I did some research last night and it appears that the kit comes with an 18t pinion...

Are any of you running 14-18 with a 3s lipo and if so, how is the heat on the system? It seems that the 19t pinion runs the system too hot to be practical...

I would like a high top speed (something in the 50mph range), but I still want to run it off road and in grass. Is there an optimum gear combination with the stock spur gear?

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping my 3s5000 lipos from HK come soon...

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whats the best pinion on stock electrics with a 2s 20c 5000 and would that be ok with the stock battery?
    slash 4x4, xxx-t, xxx-sct, mini raminator, evader ext, ax-10, rc18t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using 3s equivalent A123 packs at 10v. I'm using stock gearing (w/ center diff) and have had no thermal shutdowns. I am also using the velenion clip-on esc fan.

Anyone having thermal issues with the Velenion should get the fan and/or gear down a bit. The fan drastically cuts down on overheating, if it's getting too hot, just let it sit for a minute with the fan pushing air across the heatsink and you'll be fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i run the stock spur and a 10 tooth pinion..and it was INASANE to say the least..split tires were normal lol but then again im running a sidewinder/4600kv combo..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's another closer one on the truck. I ordered my paint with the truck body, but my two cans of "cobalt blue" were really a blue pearlecent speckle paint. I went and had to buy a can of Ford Blue with metal flake (only good blue at Autozone).

With the speckle paint sprayed then backed with that metal flake royal blue, you get a cool texured look to it. I liked it on the flames and decided to do the same on the truck, so basically the colors are just switched between the two.

The emblem on the front was done with a can of "guilded brass" spray paint I found in our cupboards. I think I'll be happy with these two for a while! Good fit and I can use my bigger tires with them (required some extra wheel-well trimming).

EDIT: I'll try to get my buddy to shoot some action shots. I just set up a little jump in the back yard that launches a good 5-10 ft. Really need to build a little ramp though cause if I hit it too fast the front bottoms out and causes the truck to nose-dive. A good jump needs a little scoop to it. I'm also very glad that Traxxas supplied this thing with nice big bumpers stock. They really help protect the body, my rustlers always destroy the back end from landing wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81167.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	1425902  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

woohoo FINALLY got the hobbyking 2.4 system before it sold out!!
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_
    ohh and simplecj..ill pm you soon because i have some ideas for some decals for my race team Gen!us Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

whats the best pinion on stock electrics with a 2s 20c 5000 and would that be ok with the stock battery?
    20c is really low for a 2s pack, infact, I don't know if it'll even work. You should be 30+c's I'm running a min of 35c on my 2s packs and my only pack that I run 20c's with is a 4s pack. I've heard of people running 20c on 3s packs, but I'm not sure how well they work though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

im running a turnigy 2s which is rated for 20-30c and it pushes the motor pretty darn good lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

20c is really low for a 2s pack, infact, I don't know if it'll even work. You should be 30+c's I'm running a min of 35c on my 2s packs and my only pack that I run 20c's with is a 4s pack. I've heard of people running 20c on 3s packs, but I'm not sure how well they work though.

20C x 5000mah /1000 = 100amps. The VXL motor is rated 65A constant and 100A burst/peak. A 20C 2s or 3s 5000mah lipo is fine considering their burst rates are even higher (usually 5 to 10C higher).

From what I've read the motor isn't drawing big amps very often. A higher C battery will cost more and add weight (albeit not much) if it isn't needed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

20C x 5000mah /1000 = 100amps. The VXL motor is rated 65A constant and 100A burst/peak. A 20C 2s or 3s 5000mah lipo is fine considering their burst rates are even higher (usually 5 to 10C higher).

From what I've read the motor isn't drawing big amps very often. A higher C battery will cost more and add weight (albeit not much) if it isn't needed.
    Thanks for the explanation. I was told not to go below 30c on a 2s pack, but I guess the number of cells really doesn't have much to do with it using that equation. Thanks for clearing it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just picked up a 3000mAh 35c 3s LiPo, new for $30 shipped.... brand is RC Max and it is shipping from Hong Kong. Seller has good reputation and is selling lots of stuff way cheaper than you'd normally find it. I can't complain about $30, even if it takes two weeks to get here.

Here's a link if you guys want to look at his other listings: Top Racing 2007 - eBay Store

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My PE arrives Tomorrow FINALLY. Been waiting since January.

Are the stub axles still breaking? bending?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does anyone have any experience running a 2s with a 14 tooth pinion? i seem to be hitting thermal shutdown on the track after only a few mins on a breezy 70 degree day. what should i do? i want the truck to go faster then stock and all i have is the stock battery and a 2s 20c 5000mah lipo. i just cut some holes in the body and bought the esc fan. is the motor heat sink really gonna help? also does anyone know what temps the motor can handle up to?
    slash 4x4, xxx-t, xxx-sct, mini raminator, evader ext, ax-10, rc18t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does anyone have any experience running a 2s with a 14 tooth pinion? i seem to be hitting thermal shutdown on the track after only a few mins on a breezy 70 degree day. what should i do? i want the truck to go faster then stock and all i have is the stock battery and a 2s 20c 5000mah lipo. i just cut some holes in the body and bought the esc fan. is the motor heat sink really gonna help? also does anyone know what temps the motor can handle up to?
    Not sure what is casuing your heat problem ? But the Integy Heat Sink with Fan for $10 is the best thing I have done to my truck . The ESCfan is good , but the motor heat sink and fan makes a big difference !!!

I run a 2S 35C 5000Mah LiPo from Hobby People , with 14/ 52 or 14/54 gearing and have no problems with heat at the indoor track !! 75 degrees inside . I run for 30 minutes straight with a JConcpets overtray and get about a 145 degree temp on the motor . ESC is always cool without a fan !

Hope that helps . Maybe your LiPo battery is bad ??
    Slash 4x4 PE , Slash 2WD Stock , Stampede VXL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My PE came with the hardend front hub installed. Part 6888X. I raised my body mounts to clear the 2.8s. I also have teh Proline under carriage cover. It will keep the rocks out of the shaft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Proline under carriage cover? I need to look that up! Body looks great man! I kinda wish I'd have shelled out the money for a Platinum. Pretty sure I've already put that much into it just adding the basic upgrades...

EDIT: Where'd you find that Proline cover? Can't seem to find one just googling it. Can you take a pic of it on your truck? I'm definately interested in something to both keep rocks out as well as to keep from snagging rocks and stuff on the servo.

I also like the little spongy washers on your body mounts. The Baja body doesn't allow room for the plastic washers on top and the body seems to rattle around a bit. What did you use to raise the mounts?

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast