Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 AM
ScottKelly911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Honestly, I'd love to try one out to see how it handles on an offroad track.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 AM
simplecj

Ya, pretty interesting, a gyro in a truck. I guess I can see how it would be helpful for when it starts to break loose, or for cornering on dirt.... for $15 it might be worth checking out. I doubt the cheap one will hold up to the abuse, but it might be enough to see how it works.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM
MTboy

I believe a year or so ago in the rustler thread people where testing gyros including me. For me the only time I notice it helping was taking off or hard braking. It held it straight under those situations but for drifting a corner I felt it would just help with spinning out..lol May have been my set up but don't think so since I use them in my heli's.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: MTboy

I believe a year or so ago in the rustler thread people where testing gyros including me. For me the only time I notice it helping was taking off or hard braking. It held it straight under those situations but for drifting a corner I felt it would just help with spinning out..lol May have been my set up but don't think so since I use them in my heli's.
Since the Rustler is 2wd and much easier and likely to spin out, I can see how over correcting may not actually help too much on high speed turns in loose conditions. But on a 4wd where all wheels hook up, it may work better as it lets the front wheels pull the chassis back into the correct position. Do you still have a gyro left?Will one of your Heli gyro's work in your Slash for testing purposes? I'd really love to see some real world testing on the Slash 4x4 with one. They obviously make a difference in the right applications or they wouldn't have been banned for racing.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, I'm not new to r/c, I've got several nitros, but i decided to pick up the slash 4wd back in december. Well I've never had a single problem with it till the other day when I lost total control of it and it took off on it's own. No steering, and no throttle or brakes, I put fresh batteries in the TX and I don't have much experience with electric, so any help of what would case this would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

Since the Rustler is 2wd and much easier and likely to spin out, I can see how over correcting may not actually help too much on high speed turns in loose conditions. But on a 4wd where all wheels hook up, it may work better as it lets the front wheels pull the chassis back into the correct position. Do you still have a gyro left? Will one of your Heli gyro's work in your Slash for testing purposes? I'd really love to see some real world testing on the Slash 4x4 with one. They obviously make a difference in the right applications or they wouldn't have been banned for racing.
I do have a few I could try out again and see how it works but will have to go dig them out, then read up on them since it's been almost 2 years since playing with one.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 AM
it8ezbngrn

ORIGINAL: Brett185

Hey guys, I'm not new to r/c, I've got several nitros, but i decided to pick up the slash 4wd back in december. Well I've never had a single problem with it till the other day when I lost total control of it and it took off on it's own. No steering, and no throttle or brakes, I put fresh batteries in the TX and I don't have much experience with electric, so any help of what would case this would be appreciated.
ESC? it supplies power to the RX. Does the ESC even come on?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 AM
MTboy

Try rebinding the TX/RX.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
1fastsob
My Feedback: (33)

since we're on tx problems...i have the 2.4ghz traxxas link system but I only get like 15-20 feet of range then it just loses signal..it really pisses me off anybody had this problem before?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
simplecj

Try rebinding the TX/RX.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM
laextreme

anyone running phaltline tires on the slash? pics?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
it8ezbngrn

Is the antenna OK on both the TX and RX. I would get with someone who has a Traxxas.2.4 and bind his TX to your RX and your TX to his RX and see if the problem stays or follows. I'm guessing low batt on TX or the antenna is messed up on one of them. Find out which thing is bad and send it in to Traxxas. They replaced an RX that I accidentally ripped the antenna wire out of.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM
it8ezbngrn

So here is a new issue I found. The VXL ESC does not like have a second fan running off the output for the ESC fan. I tapped into that to run a heatsink with fan for the motor and that power must come off the BEC circuit which causes it to cut out and go into LVC real early. So I am taking both fans off that circuit and powering it with an external BEC. Hopefully this fixes it.

I also found that the E-Maxx red springs work well front an rear. Softer ones up front, stiffer in rear.

Tossing my Stampede VXL tires (2.8 Talons) due to poor traction and trying a set of Proline 30 Series Badlands.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
it8ezbngrn

done and done. Much better.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 AM
MTboy

any pics?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
it8ezbngrn

I'll put some up tonight.

Seriously, I would recommend spending $16 on a BEC especially if you run a nice servo and an ESC fan. Just hook the fan or fans into the BEC. I running a 16T pinion and rnning 3S and withthe baja bug body the thing still wheelies alot. even at high speeds. I think the bug body due to its height to clear the 30 series allows air underneath and provides lift which makes it worse. The Proline badlands hook way better then teh Stampede VXL Talons I was using. Of course they'll wear quicker.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
MTboy

I'm running a MMP with 5.5hv with no issues so so far no need for a BEC but always interested in seeing others set ups. I'm interested in your springs as I've been trying different set ups. Waiting to test my latest that is rustler rears in the rear and the rear slash in the front with new installed swaybars.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
it8ezbngrn

I just about tried every traxxas spring made. The E-max T/maxx one work good. I have no issues. Use either the regular or progressive in rear. I prefer regular. Theres 3 kinds of the red Maxx springs.This is what I ordered. I did not like the Integy Progressives. I also have tried the Losi. They work if you want to preload the hell out of them, at least as a basher. If you race them maybe thats differnet. Maybe you want to sit lower but mine works fine on all sorts of jumps.
PRODUCTS ORDERED
Traxxas Springs Front Bandit 1 2.00
Traxxas Spring Front White (2) 1 3.89
Traxxas Springs Rear Rustler (2) 1 2.00
Traxxas Springs Rear White (2) 1 3.89

Traxxas Springs Rear Red (2) 1 3.89
Integy Super Motor Heat Sink/Cooling Fan Blue 1 14.99
Integy Progressive Spring Set Front Slash (3) 1 8.59
Traxxas Springs Red E-Maxx 1 2.39
Traxxas Spring Rear White (2) 1 3.89
Integy Progressive Spring Set Rear Slash (3) 1 8.59
Traxxas Springs Rear (2) 1 2.00

4649R was one part# used. Just search for Maxx springs on Tower.

I'm thinking of running the NovaK HV 5.5 to just try it. Its sensored and may give a lil more control and less heat issues. I run 3S on the VXL and I'm about 160 degress on motor on a mild day. Hence all the fans.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 AM
it8ezbngrn

Heres the pics. Tires Proline Badlands. Rims Proline 30 series. External BEC powering both fans. Maxx Springs front n rear (different sets) Front is 4649R I forget the rear. 16T Pinion. Integy heatsink and fan on motor. Proline under cover with the sides cut down.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 AM
MTboy

Looks really good. Like the badlands alot.
Hows that undertrey working for you?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 AM
it8ezbngrn

Well it does not keep all of the rocks out of the top and the side can hinder air flow. You can definately see it in the temps. I cut my sides down and am just using it as a bottom protector. It also keeps the rocks out of the shaft opening. I have done the electrical tape/shrink wrap fix on the ahaft also. If you search for my posts you will find my other mods I have done.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
it8ezbngrn

Axles are still an issue. I must admit it has taken a beating under 3S for awhile. But my Revo takes the same beating without a problem.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 AM
ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: it8ezbngrn

Axles are still an issue. I must admit it has taken a beating under 3S for awhile. But my Revo takes the same beating without a problem.

Yep, did that to another FLM axle yesterday, ugh!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 AM
it8ezbngrn

I was running the stock and they have been on there awhile. I just replaced it with an FLM. I'm thinking of replacing the whole truck with a Revo Brushless. I have a V-Twin that I made and it takes a beating.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Sideslider

Hello to all,

Been following the thread for a while and just wanted to ask, if i remove my driveshaft from my slash 4x4 would it handle and behave like a 2wd? i wanted to know so that im ok with doing it and know that i can run with the 2wd guys at a fair game........

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.