Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Cooling off an Orion Brushless ESC, or any brand for that matter.

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cooling off an Orion Brushless ESC, or any brand for that matter.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:37 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cooling off an Orion Brushless ESC, or any brand for that matter.

I have an Orion Experience brushless ESC and motor on my B4 buggy. It's a great setup for me and the system works very well.

So, here's the situation; the specifications indicate the ESC is capable of putting out more amps if it has a cooling fan attached. However, it doesn't specify if the fan has to be powered by the ESC's fan connector or if it can run off the receiver or directly from the battery. Plus, how does the ESC put out more power when a fan is attached? Is there an internal trigger in the fan circuit that signals it to put out more juice or does simply running cooler allow it to increase the power output?

Additionally, Orion uses some type of micro plug on the ESC where the fan is to be attached. I've never seen this type of plug anywhere. The 25mm fan I found has a more conventional red mini plug like those used for small battery packs. The fan plug on the ESC has very tiny wires, perhaps 30 gauge or something, while the fan has slightly larger wire, probably more like 22 gauge. Does anyone know where I can find a connector or pigtail that will fit the Orion ESC plug so I can hook the fan into it? I thought about cutting the Orion connector and replacing it with the matching connector for the fan, but the wires are so damn small and I don't think there's enough slack to work that close to the ESC.

I'm sure others out there have run into fan compatability problems with other brands of ESC's. I figured Orion / KO Propo is a popular enough brand that they would use more conventional connectors. How do I cool my ESC?

I may have to post photos later this evening; I'm in the office right now... Don't tell the boss!

Thanks to all for your advice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16700.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1291538  
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM
BKoz559

Default RE: Cooling off an Orion Brushless ESC, or any brand for that matter.

I tried to consult the folks at the LHS and they weren't much help. I now know that the red connector is refered to as a JST style plug. The white plug on my ESC is still a mystery. It's like trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole. Refer to the photo in my first post to see what I'm talking about.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this HPI ESC cooler uses the same type of connector.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTLL6&P=7[/link]
Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 AM
BigTb17

The ESC won't actually put out any more power. Technically, heat does create resistance, so a cooler running system will run more efficiently. But that's not the main factor that comes into play here. Basically, the ESC is rated to be able to safely supply a certain number of amps without overheating. Since a fan helps cool the ESC, the ESC may be able to safely handle a bit more amps without overheating when you use a fan. Because of this the manufacturer may have two ratings for amperage handling (with and without a fan).

If your ESC isn't getting hot without a fan, then simply adding a fan will make no difference in performance at all. Amperage draw depends on motor load (things like gearing, tire size, vehicle weight, surface you're driving on, etc.). If you exceed the ESCs amperage capacity it will get hot. A fan can help it run cooler, allowing it to handle a bit more amperage. However, adding a fan alone will not increase the amperage or power if you don't change anything else.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
BKoz559

That makes great sense. I have experienced a thermal shutdown of the ESC on two seperate occasions. I was geared on the tall side but I then changed to a smaller pinion and it hasn't happen since. Thanks for the link to the HPI fan as well. For the moment, I have a matching pigtail that will fit the fan. I will solder the ends to the deans plug on the ESC so it will share the battery power. The fan is rated 7.2v so it should be fine. The only forseeable problem is the fan will run continuously while the ESC is pluged into the battery. I'll see if this does anything for me. Besides, adding the fan gives the layout a more intense, high tech look.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Snipin_Willy

Adding a fan will not increase anything in power related except the minor amount of additional current it is going to be needing from the battery to run it. I typically do not like running fans on my RC's because they are prone to failing at the worst times and they are $5 to replace at the cheapest I've seen. They will, however, help keep electronics within safe operating temperatures in summer heat waves. If you need a fan to keep your electronics cool in the winter then you need to change your gearing.
I believe it is a mistake to say heat creates resistance but that's another thread topic entirely.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Adding a fan will not increase anything in power related except the minor amount of additional current it is going to be needing from the battery to run it. I typically do not like running fans on my RC's because they are prone to failing at the worst times and they are $5 to replace at the cheapest I've seen. They will, however, help keep electronics within safe operating temperatures in summer heat waves. If you need a fan to keep your electronics cool in the winter then you need to change your gearing.
I believe it is a mistake to say heat creates resistance but that's another thread topic entirely.
In most metals resistance does in fact increase as temperature increases. It may not be a huge factor at the temperatures that a ESC works at (which is why I said it's not going to make a huge difference in the amperage supply), but it is true of most metals.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
gelbschnee

The ESC does not put out any power, It is just rated for a certain amount to pass though. Wattage (current * voltage) is a measurement of energy and heat. So, naturally, if you decrease the amount of heat in your esc, more current will safely be able to flow though it.

This means that attaching a fan will only help you if you have heat problems to begin with.