I've seen a ton of guys running new Proline bug bodies on the Traxxas Slash and I have liked the body and general idea right from the start but there has always been a couple of things I didn't care for. First was the length of the chassis. Looking at the Bug Body on the Slash chassis I've always though the front and rear wheels set too far forward and too far back from the body. Almost like the body was just too small. Second is I felt the wheels stuck out too far away from the body and didn't look scale.
After looking around at my various different Traxxas cars and trucks I decided to build my own Baja Bug but I wanted something a little more scale. I had considered shorting a Slash chassis and adding Bandit arms but then I'd still be stuck with the high mounted battery and tippy feeling of the stock slash and the problem would be even worse with a narrower stance. Same went for the Pede chassis. What I was left with was the Bandit/Rusty chassis so here we go.
What I used.
1) One used bandit roller $50 shipped.
2) One set of Slash body mounts $5
3) one set of Rusty front axles Free ($4 if you have to buy them)
4) Two sets of traxxas hex hubs (one front set, one rear set) free ($6 if you have to buy them)
5) 1/2 inch Alum "L" channel. Comes in 3 foot lengths at Home Depot $8
6) 1/16 sheet Alum for battery tray $4
7) Rustler Wheels and Tires. $50ish. Can be more can be less. Your choice. One thing to mention is you must use 2.8 or larger wheels when using the Bandit front arms. Anything smaller and the wheel will hit the arms and not allow full steering.
8) Bug Body $30
9) Slash front bumper $5
Please note that there are a couple of things I'm still waiting on so this is not finished. I have a new set of Proline 2.8 wheels and tires on order. Yes I know the wheels in the Pics are on backwards. They Have to be because of the Wheel offset
Cut the chassis 1.5 inches in front of the rear wall of the battery tray and stretch 1.3 inches.
I secured 6.5 inch long pieces of 1/2inch "L" channel using 4 screws and nuts along with an auto body adhesive that meant to bond Kit car bodies to the donor car. I could remove the screws if I wanted. It's that strong.
Sorry guys. Ran out of time. I'll post the rest of this when I return in a couple of hours.