Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

LiPo vs. NIMH discharge curves

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LiPo vs. NIMH discharge curves

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007
Access needs to test some more packs when he gets the chance to. Like the elites vs the promatch packs.
Maxamps vs Thunderpower etc...
There are probably some things I personally will never test. The one time I bought a maxamps pack was when maxamps packs were the cheapest around. It was something like $100 for a 3s 4000mAH 20C pack. This at a time when 2s 4800mAH LiPos were between $150 and $200. The cheap brands from HK or PRC did not exist or if they did, none of us knew of their existance at the time.

The 20C maxamps pack typically went into my B4 and was then driven on grass. It was a very fast vehicle for the grass, between 35-40mph (radared) but at the same time runtimes were in the 5-6 minutes. This battery had a pretty short life, it would overheat and survived maybe 10 runs before it lost its punch due to the abuse. Now I had a PolyRC battery I had paid $129.00 for, 3s 3300mAH 20C and it took the abuse of being in that buggy just fine. I still have that pack, the polyRC, it must be 4-5 years old now but I'll test it when I get the chance.

At some point 2-3 years ago maxamps hiked their prices. Roughly +50%. This at a time when any other brand I can think of has become less expensive considering the battery you get, not more. Today if I bought maxamps, it would cost me roughly as much as a thunderpower as the same type. Honestly I don't know why any reasonable person would choose the maxamps.

As for the elites and promatch, I think high-end NIMH is dead. Unless the pricing comes way down, no practical person is going to pay $50. for a NIMH, even the absolute best one out there.

Keep in mind building a tester like this is perfectly possible for anyone with some money to spend. The power resistors are the most expensive part. A cheap voltmeter, a stopwatch, and openoffice calc (free software) are all it would take to generate the graphs. In thought experiments in the past, I think we decided it would be more efficient to build a test unit and ship that around, having everyone who received it test their batteries before shipping it onto the next person. Rather than having people ship their batteries to the person who had the tester, and then having to ship the batteries back, etc.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didnt mention turnigys or zippy's, will you consider tesing those............maybe against one of your more expensive packs....................just a thought, and i realize it takes your valuable time.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Access

I'll do the zippy's sooner or later, basically I do the testing during rainy days or when the weather prevents me from doing what I actually want to do.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

My cars are fast enough with nimh. I still dont have a reason to switch to Lipo just yet.
I just went to 4000 elites for my b44(and will be running these packs in my touring car for dirt oval racing)
And 5000 elite nimh's for my 501x, and it was a lawn dart with these packs and can get close to 15 mins runtime as well.[8D]

Access needs to test some more packs when he gets the chance to. Like the elites vs the promatch packs.
Maxamps vs Thunderpower etc...
dirt oval sounds like fun!