Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Kit
78.79%
RTR
21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Kit or RTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:16 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit or RTR

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times in the past, but i'm doing a poll for a school project. lets assume that the kit included all the same stuff as the RTR yet you still needed all electronics and the price point was 40-60 under rtr. just for some standardization feel free to post any comments, i will use anything you use quoted proply with your screen name let me know if don't want to be quoted in that way or at all. Thanks a bunch.

the lug
Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kit or RTR

I prefer kits because I enjoy the assembly process. So when something comes in kit form I get a few more hours of enjoyment out of it.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chose RTR seeing you pretty much said to assume the RTR would be 40-60 under the kit with no electronics. Even though building it yourself is more gratifying than a RTR. Economically speaking though the RTR is a better deal even if you don't need the electronics. You can sell them off and usually make more back than the price difference. Most AM radio's/reciever combos go for $20-$30 each, servo's $10-15, ESC's can be anywhere from $20-$60, and motors another $10-40 (it all depends on brands though) so even low balling the estimate you come out either even with the kit price or cheaper if it sells for more.

Kits are more fun though I perfer tinkering more than driving so pretty much most RTRs I got turned into kits seeing I've pretty much disassembled em completely to mod em
Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 AM
OvalRacer99

I prefer kits simply because then I can choose what electronics I put in it. I have noticed a trend lately that the RTR's are getting some decent radio gear in them, FM or even 2.4 ghz stuff.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Casper06

I voted for the kit. Although I do not enjoy building kits for the most part unless they are more complex I do like to know exactly how to take it apart for repairs and troubleshooting. You gain knowledge by building it yourself and to me that is valuable because as we all know something is going to break sooner or later. Plus I always wind up upgrading stuff anyways and it is easier to do it from the beginning than tearing it apart and doing it later.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:14 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I like building the r/c myself, so I would much prefer to have the kit if the price comes out close. I really enjoy the mechanical aspect of the hobby, and building the kit is part of that. You can put everything together yourself and make sure everything is done right so that you know if it holds together well, you had a hand in on it instead of some machine. It also really lets you get a good look at all the parts, how they go together, and how they function so that if you have problems, troubleshooting later is much easier.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times in the past, but i'm doing a poll for a school project. lets assume that the kit included all the same stuff as the RTR yet you still needed all electronics and the price point was 40-60 under rtr. just for some standardization feel free to post any comments, i will use anything you use quoted proply with your screen name let me know if don't want to be quoted in that way or at all. Thanks a bunch.
Here is the problem. It is more a problem of basic distribution economics. Maybe 10-20% of the people in the hobby can actually think about building the kit. The other 80% or so doesn't have the time or the ability to do so. Overseas labor is cheap. To the manufacturer, the cost to make a RTR is only marginally more than the kit. RTR electronics is generally the cheapest of the cheap unless it is a value-add RTR (ie. brushless).

Realistically by the time it gets to the end customer, the kit is going to cost more than the RTR. The kit is basically a speciality item, hobby shops won't stock it, special-order only, etc. It never really goes on sale (except for closeout / end-of-life) and retailers just can't afford to take the risk of stocking it.

So when you say the kit is priced under the RTR, you are describing a situation that can't really exist in the real world. At least not exist for very long.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Bigbangtheory

In my case I don't have the time to do a kit right now. Maybe when my son/daughter get older I will do a kit like my dad used to do with me.

I say RTR if you are in my shoes or just want something for bashing around.

Kit if you have time and like to troubleshoot......which I like and one day will do a kit car. Who knows I may end up getting a Hornet kit, which is what I had 15 years ago and loved every second of it. I could just work on it when I get some free time, lol!

I guess thart didn't help ya.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Luth7799

If given the choice I'd always prefer to build a kit myself. Nothing will help you understand the inner workings of an RC Vehicle better than to just assemble it yourself. Building a kit lets you customize the final vehicle to your specs and with your prefered components installed. Lastly,I simply find it very fun. The building process is a large part of what makes this hobby so fun for me. There's a wonderful sense of accomplishment the first time you run your vehicle after building it yourself.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Yosh70

I'm not sure about certain kits how much you have to put together but I recently bought an Ofna LX1-E 4WD buggy that is roughly 80% complete.
I have to add the electronics, the servo, assemble the tires/wheels, apply the decals and a few other small items.
I dont know if thats considered a kit but its not a RTR either.

Its something I feel thats not overwhelming and that I'm capable of doing. Really looking forward to getting this buggy going.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Access

Here is the problem. It is more a problem of basic distribution economics. Maybe 10-20% of the people in the hobby can actually think about building the kit. The other 80% or so doesn't have the time or the ability to do so. Overseas labor is cheap. To the manufacturer, the cost to make a RTR is only marginally more than the kit. RTR electronics is generally the cheapest of the cheap unless it is a value-add RTR (ie. brushless).

Realistically by the time it gets to the end customer, the kit is going to cost more than the RTR. The kit is basically a speciality item, hobby shops won't stock it, special-order only, etc. It never really goes on sale (except for closeout / end-of-life) and retailers just can't afford to take the risk of stocking it.

So when you say the kit is priced under the RTR, you are describing a situation that can't really exist in the real world. At least not exist for very long.

lets assume that the kit included all the same stuff as the RTR yet you still needed all electronics and the price point was 40-60 under rtr.
I think that is the key point in his post.....
Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

thank you all very much for you votes and comments its really appreciated

the lug