Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rustler vxl vs xl-5

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
katzcratch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rustler vxl vs xl-5

Am I reading it correctly that the only dif between the 2 vehic is the brushless setup?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: rustler vxl vs xl-5

I think the VXLs have slightly beefed-up suspension arms too, to better withstand high speed crashing.

They used to have all metal gear transmissions too, but I think even the XL-5s have that now too.

I've been quite happy with my XL-5 Stampede. Plenty fast enough for offroad, even on 6 cell NiMH packs. The Rustlers are even a bit faster.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Littl3TuffGuy13

Go VXL, trust me you always thirst for more speed, so you may as well be there right away. You can start with a 6 or 7 cell, then build up to 2s or 3s.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Orion1024

brushless and the VXL has bearings at the wheels...the XL-5 has bushings. If you plan on running in rain or snow I would go with the XL-5 because the ESC is truly 100% waterproof and there's no bearings to rust. I have both brushless and brushed and use the brushed setup in wet conditions and it's quite nice not having to worry about damaging the electronics or cleaning out the motor. I don't even bother drying it off. If you aren't going to be running in these sort of conditions, then I'd go for the VXL.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
katzcratch

I was figuring on putting a castle into the rustler afterwords.  I didnt think it was worth the exttra money to buy the ven brushesss if the castle was a better motor.. I just wasnt sure if the vxl had that many upgrades to start..
thanks for the input, I have been darting between the losi dt, assoc t4, and even the vortex
I guess it would be nice to have a fully waterproof esc though..
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think you're going to go brushless at some point then just bite the bullet and buy the VXL now. It will be cheaper in the long run.

The only differences in the VXL and the XL5 are the brushless setup, adjustable camber links and bearings in the hubs. Otherwise they're exactly the same trucks.

The XL5 is fast enough for most people but if you know you're going to go brushless later then just buy it done..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: john01374

If you think you're going to go brushless at some point then just bite the bullet and buy the VXL now. It will be cheaper in the long run.

The only differences in the VXL and the XL5 are the brushless setup, adjustable camber links and bearings in the hubs. Otherwise they're exactly the same trucks.

The XL5 is fast enough for most people but if you know you're going to go brushless later then just buy it done..

John... you and I are on the same page here... the only other difference I see as well is the digital servo, but Traxxas may have changed that for the XL5 as well...

Katzcratch.. If you are planning on getting the Mamba /Castle setup, then you can get the XL5 and convert the bearings.. You really don't need to worry about the camber links, the fixed ones are fine... The Digital servo is nice to have for high speed runs as it center quickly and accurately.. the analog ones don't but for normal bashing its fine... On another note.. alot of guys will remove the Velinon and sell it on Ebay or here, but you are paying an extra 180 for the truck and not going to get that back.. keep in mind the extra money also includes the upgrades... Its not really cheaper either way...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Littl3TuffGuy13

Castle motors tend to over heat, i switched to VXL and it runs way cooler. Castle ESCs are said to be better though. I run Sidewinder/VXL because i burnt up my 5700 castle motor.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Littl3TuffGuy13

Castle motors tend to over heat, i switched to VXL and it runs way cooler. Castle ESCs are said to be better though. I run Sidewinder/VXL because i burnt up my 5700 castle motor.
I have two CC5700 motors and neither of them overheat... My friend has 4 of them in various cars and they don't overheat either... If you overheated your motors, you were overgeared and didn't follow the guidelines for gearing brushless motors.. Remember, the CC motor that you are talking about is a 5700 or maybe a 4600... the traxxas is a 3500... none of these motors are geared even remotely the same.. I'd be willing to bet you geared the CC motor for Traxxas 3500 specs.. Yes, they overheat when geared that way.. Mine after as many as 4 batteries of about 5000mah running back to back doesn't get over 125 degrees... I don't consider that hot...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
bmoore83

I just bought a rustler xl-5 and 2 extra venom 8C 4200mah batteries. Was wondering around how fast it would be. Also what could I add to speed it up once I get to the point that I crave more speed.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
drgnerth

Venom 8cells won't fit  unless you move the esc. The hump is to big. If you want more speed you need to replace the bushings with bearings in the axle carriers.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
bmoore83

What is the best 8 cell with the highest mah that will fit? Can you give me a video to do that?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
bmoore83

Having a problem here. I am trying to remove the stock 19 gearing on my rusty but cannot get it off. I see the small insertion for a starwrench but the one I got only seems as if it is stripping the hole. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
slashrunner

ORIGINAL: Littl3TuffGuy13

Same hear. burnt up two 5700s on a 13/90 gearing in my slash, and the 4600 tends to get a little on the hot side with a 13/86 gearing. all of them have been the revised versions. and yes the castle escs are better; I own both castle and vxl.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
slashrunner

ORIGINAL: bmoore83

Having a problem here. I am trying to remove the stock 19 gearing on my rusty but cannot get it off. I see the small insertion for a starwrench but the one I got only seems as if it is stripping the hole. Can anyone help me out here?
Are you using a 1/16 hex. If not, thats what you need.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
bmoore83

I finally got it off. I had to go to wal mart though. Bout a set of hex key chains. They were only a buck.