Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with brushes motors discharging and batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brushes motors discharging and batteries

Yeah its a lot... as you guessed from the subject fell FREE to correct any thing i said wrong in this

Well heres the deal i wanted to make a battery discharger, and i figured an old electric motor would be great for this, i got this motor with an old Tam mad bull a friend gave me that he got some how... either way its a Reedy Rage stock 24, i don't know if its a 24T or a 27T set at 24* timing... it has lay down brushes, idk about timing weather or not its fixxed its a pretty old motor,
(i just found this [link=http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3825/is_199906/ai_n8862877/]review[/link] and that it was approved by roar in 96), either way i went to run it today and found i only had one brush that was fit to the com. so i stuck in a brush from an old fireball that was a stand up brush, but there wasn't a ton of wear on it, so i started off with discharing a 5 cell that i hope to use in series with a 6 cell, either way so i ran it and i got some sparking from the brush but it soon went away (its still dry) and so then i put it in water (to put a little strain on it and hopefully increase amp draw) and everything goes fine a little gunk but not much just what i expected from being an off road electric motor that was never cleaned, so then i hit it with my Ep 4200's 6 cell (the last were the same but hadn't been run in a while so less than peak condition). so when i plugged it in it spun faster and everything so i put it in the water it was going fast, it then dropped a bit as a nihm should then about a min later the sound changed a bit and the water started to really cloud up and get gross, so i let it finish out the pack and i get this ohh forgot to mention to put a little more load on the motor i put on a 15 or 17T 32p gear to see what would happen and idk if this atripbuted to it or not see more on this below

yes i know my shop is a mess don't remind me...

this is what the brush looked like

this is the brush next to an orginal venom brush just like the one i put in, the stock AE one was also the same lenght

a video of it running this was powered by my less powerful (now i know why cuz they had a dead cell) EP4600's this is without the gear and it did the same thing again, got a little cloudy than after a min or so got really cloudy and just got worse sorry for the low quality its off a digi camera but you get an idea of the setup....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4iC6KMZ5k

any thoughts on the apreceaited btw the com. looks fine no hour glassing or barrelling

random what a dead cell looks like when put under heavy load

sorry it was so long...

the lug
Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Help with brushes motors discharging and batteries

Hey, your shop is a mess.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
rclugnut10

thanks but does anybody have any thoughts on why i burn thru a set of brushes in like 15 min of running, is it the nature of the motor or because i'm running it in water or what?

the lug
Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a milkshake your motor is in?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM
rclugnut10

that was clean water, in a clean tub, that gunk is what i can only assume to be the other half of the brushes...

the lug
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

If I understand correctly you used a stand up brush with a laydown endbell? or vise-versa?

Anyways if that's true then the brush probably overheated due to a small surface area. It's hard to believe it would bite the dust in just 15 minutes without load, but water is very hard on it.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 PM
rclugnut10

it soon ground its self down to the correct face of the brush, but yes the water did get up to 135 or so but this was long after the sparking went away, so i'm geussing the water was a bit much, i'll see if can find some more brushes and try this again tommorow but i don't wanna do it unloaded... ahh well i allready deemed it a junker...

the lug
Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water does the same thing to brushless motors, to much throdle when wet, can totally fry the motor.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 AM
willsbma

Im new to the old school. Can someone please enlighten me? Why do you run the motor in water, is it just to clean it? I always assumed water would rust everything up and seize the guts. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM
rclugnut10

i ran it in water to provide some load for the motor to discharge my batteries a little quicker...

the lug