Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What brushless setup for a rustler?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
slickcb2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brushless setup for a rustler?

I'm getting a rustler very soon, all stock for now. I was planning on doing a CHEAP drop in brushless setup just to bash around the house. What do ya'll recommend? I was eyeballing the sidewinder 5700 so far. I have several 2s lipos now, but could get some 3s for pretty cheap if needed. What other fast decently cheap combos are out there? I'm really wanting wheelies on demand and something with some stupid fast speeds!!!!

What gearing do you think I should go with? I'm not really looking for 70 mph top speed, i'm looking more for low end grunt with around 50 or so top speed.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
burnineyes

Default RE: What brushless setup for a rustler?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...em_5200Kv/100A

This would be perfect. I love Castle and I think they make the best stuff, but you cant beat this for the price. It is similar to the Mamba Max in power capability, which is much better than the Sidewinder. Plus these are very reliable too.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like i always end up posting this right after you Burningeyes....sorry, but its a great setup for a good price. I recommend the 4600...runs cooler and is easier to gear imo.

http://www.b-p-p.com/product.php?pro...&cat=48&page=1
Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

you're not supposed to run 3S on the sidewindr 5700 system.
I would go 4600 for more torque, easier gearing, and less heat.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

This would be perfect. I love Castle and I think they make the best stuff, but you cant beat this for the price. It is similar to the Mamba Max in power capability, which is much better than the Sidewinder. Plus these are very reliable too.
That looks like a really good setup, and its right in the middle of the 5700kv and 4600kv motors!
this could be a great way to run 2s and 3s
little faster than the 4600kv without being out of control and a bit slower than the 5700kv for better runtimes and cooler temps..
dang, maybe I should pick one up for my DTX
Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
slickcb2000

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

Looks like a nice setup, but for a 10 dollar price difference I think I would rather go with a name brand like castle.

As far as the 4600 and 5700, what kind of power difference do they make? will the 4600 pull wheelies on demand? honestly i'm kinda looking for something with uncontrolable power. I have enough r/c's already for something with controllable power. i'm trying to build something that going 40 mph I can punch it and it still pull a wheelie!!!! all while keeping the price down too!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

you're not supposed to run 3S on the sidewindr 5700 system.
I would go 4600 for more torque, easier gearing, and less heat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the 4600 will allow you to run 3s safely........lots of power on 3s and gear it how you like it![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
burnineyes

Like I said I love Castle, I truly believe their products are second to none. Im sure with a Castle system you will be very happy, I have had 5 different Mamba systems for 18th and 10th scale use and love them all. I also have or had 4 EZRun systems(Hobbyking) and I would not hesitate to buy all of them again. In fact if I had known how much I could save, there is a few of the Mamba systems I would have skipped. I currently have a Mamba Max Pro, it is the ultimate top of the line racing ESC. But for just about any other use the EZRun is just as fast, just as smooth, actually easier to use, and way cheaper.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
slickcb2000

What about gearing?  If I got the 4600 what would be a good gearing to run?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

start out with the stock gearing and work from there, if the motor gets hot, gear down. if the motor doesn't break a sweat, it's you're choice to gear up, for more speed.