Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A beginners impression of the Traxxas Rustler XL5

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM
carlsbad0331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A beginners impression of the Traxxas Rustler XL5

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12">

I was able to get the Traxxas Rustler brand new from a local hobby shop for $149.99 where as the VXL was $289. Had I done my homework ahead of time, I would have gone with the VXL from the start and saved A LOT of money and aggravation.

Out of the box the XL5 performs much better than I expected for $150. But being a speed junkie (Porsche Owners Club driver, SCORE chase vehicle driver, etc.) it was not too long before the included hop-up gear was installed. It again performed better, but not to my liking. I have a VERY LARGE wide open parking lot with very nice speed bumps to bash around (the parking lot is nearly 200 yards long and 100 yards wide and barely ever has more then 5 cars in it). The speed bumps are gentle but steep enough to get at least 10 feet of air at speed.

As I said above, I should have gone with the VXL version for the addition $150, and here is why… To upgrade the XL5 to anywhere near the VXL you will be spending another $185-$250.

I chose to go with the Castle Sidewinder and 5700KvM motor because I had heard good things about the Castle parts and I got a great deal at $125 for the kit. I could have spent $185 and bought the Traxxas Velinion system and been done here. But again, I had not done ENOUGH homework.

BUT, after installing the Castle Sidewinder and motor the truck immediately lost almost all radio control. Unfortunately, the parts cannot be returned so I was stuck trying to figure out how to deal with it. I found some posts suggesting braiding and wrapping the wires in aluminum foil and then heat shrink tubing them. This DID improve the radio accuracy greatly, but it was still obvious that it was not right.

I did some more research and decided on the Spektrum DX 2.0 radio set. As I said above, I am a beginner… and was pretty happily surprised at how easy of a swap out this was. The Spektrum micro receiver fits perfectly inside the Traxxas waterproof box and the tiny antenna was easily routed out and put into a 1 inch piece of the plastic antenna tubing. THE ONLY downfall to putting the reciver in the box is that every time I want to run the CastleLink software I need to open it back up and who knows how many times these screws can go in and out before they strip.

The radio system upgrade cost another $125 and was again well worth the investment. It extends the range of the truck to nearly the entire length of the 200 yard parking lot and if I park my truck and run it from the middle of the lot, I can get a full 200 yards of travel on the radio! The adjustments are taking some getting used to. The steering trim is not working as I thought it should, and I am almost to the point of thinking there is something not right with the vehicles front end set up. It is pulling pretty hard to the left unless I trim out to 8 in the other direction. More on that later…

SO, as is shown above… I have NOW spent $150 for the RTR kit, $125 for the motor and esc, and $125 for the radio system. Had I bought the VXL I would have already saved over $150 when including little things like heat shrink tubing, heavy guage aluminum foil, etc. NOW this would not have included a 2.4ghz radio system, but the VXL would not have required it. The VXL esc and motor would have worked just fine with the stock Traxxas radios.

But that’s not all folks… What new brushless system with nice radio’s is finished without LiPo batteries and a charger. So I shelled out another $100 for a SMC Max 7.4v 28c 6000mah battery and an Onyx 230 battery charger cost me $80.

So NOW, the grand total in less than a week is $580… Of course I would have wanted the LiPo setup with the VXL also, and probably at some point I would have gone to the 2.4ghz radios… BUT out of the box I would have gotten nearly the same performance out of the VXL system with the optional hop up gear. And it would have cost under $300.

I AM NOT knocking the XL5 rtr… Just saying that if there is ANY chance that you are going to want to upgrade it, your better off paying the money up front for the VXL. I don’t typically make an issue of money or cost of goods… But I really think the VXL is a great deal for what it is and if doing it all over again would definitely go that route.

<o></o>

HARDWARE:

Rustler

Castle Sidewinder ESC

Castle 5700 Kv motor

Spektrum DX 2.0 radio system

SMC 6000mah 7.4v battery

(2) front super bright white LED’s

(2) rear super bright red LED’s

<o></o>

TRUCK SET UP:

ESC is mounted opposite the electronics in the W.P case for an attempt at balance…

All motor wires are braided, wrapped in heavy gauge aluminum foil and heat shrink tubed and run through the rear shock tower.

The battery wires are also braided, wrapped and heat shrinked.

I have the thickest shock pre-load spacers installed on all 4 corners

I have the stock wheels and tires on the front and Traxxas Anaconda’s on the rear.

TRX aluminum caster blocks, aluminum toe links, aluminum bell crank.

I have the toe in set at 2-3% for the long high speed straight aways (if this is wrong, someone please let me know!!)

I have the adjustable slipper clutch set at ½ turn or 180 degrees from fully compressed (what will the negative effects be of having this tightened down that much?)

I am using the stock 86 tooth spur gear and a 16 tooth pinion gear. I am not real up on the gear settings, but this is what I was told to use with the 5700 SW motor and esc. Is it possible to gear it differently (and safely) to get higher top end speeds?

I also am running it with the TRX wheelie bar… but I SURE HATE the way it looks. And Im not entirely sure that it would be necessary if I handled it properly.

<o></o>

I will post my Castle Link settings tomorrow. The only ones I remember are that I have it set for 50% throttle in reverse, and the throttle curve has a 25% trigger resulting in a 50% throttle in a curve. And the brake is 40% trigger resulting in 75% brake in a curve. I am just messing around with these numbers, and haven’t really gotten in to what works better… but that is what I am running now.

<o></o>

PERFORMANCE:

The truck performs much better than it did out of the box as a Rustler XL5. The acceleration is quicker and results in a wheelie if full throttle is used immediately. I would estimate the top end speed at something around 45mph.

I am really impressed with how well it handles and lands in high speed jumps. If I am at top speed, hit the speedbump jump I will get about 10-12 feet of air with a very balanced flight and even landing. I am not aware of doing anything with the throttle, and basically just keep it at wide open the entire time. I read somewhere about gear problems in doing this, and if someone has a link back to that or can shed some light on the possibility of doing any damage… I would appreciate it.

The braking can so easily be adjusted with the CastleLink OR the Spektrum system that it can be changed from mild and gently to stop on a dime and flip it like a penny. I haven’t played too much with the adjustments in the Spektrum, but intend to get to know it pretty well.

Observation on the LiPo batteries. The battery lasted me nearly (if not slightly more) than 2x that of the 7 cell battery that came with the Rustler. I actually got bored before the battery ran out! And when I opened it up, the battery was as cool as it could be sitting doing nothing. Also, the motor and ESC were just barely even warm to the touch. I had run it for 25-30 minutes doing nothing but high speed runs and jumps!

This afternoon while doing some high speed runs I thought to myself that video taping them from ground level using my wifes Nikon camera would be great. I was able to shoot about 5 minutes of video showing the jumps and such and then CRASH… I ran the truck right into the camera at top speed. Shot the camera about 30 feet, cracked the lense and the camera housing and the worse part… the batteries flew out and the video was not saved on the SD card. I would have LOVED to see the moment of impact. That camera had to have a real OH **** look on its lens at the very last moment.

So no more pics or videos till next week when I sneak a new camera in to the house!

Thank you those of you who took the time to read this. I realize it is generally targeted at beginners (as not much can probably be learned from someone who is also brand new to the hobby). But if my spending spree and mistakes can help even one person save some cash or get pointed in the right direction it was hopefully worth the few minutes to do this!

Take care,
Terry

</meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A beginners impression of the Traxxas Rustler XL5

good read, just on quick question how are those fancy super speedy bushings going for you in the hubs???

the lug
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Yeah, if you still have bushings in the hubs, Id go for bearings real quick They wont like 45mph speed runs for long. Nice truck, and nice write up! [8D]

Eric
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Littl3TuffGuy13

Well now you have a really awesome XL-5, but I would have suggested the Mamba Max Pro 5700 or normal max cause you can use 3s or sidewinder with 4600.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Nice read!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up, Always nice to get someones veiw.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrates on the new rustler. Starting with a VXL i always a good idea if you can afford it right away but some people can't and that's ok. You can build a truck very similar to the VXL for for about $20 less than what a new one costs. XL5 is $150, EZRun 3300KV is $107 and bearing for the hubs are $10 so all told you can do it for about $267.

As for the radio problem you experienced.. There are a few different things that can cause the interference. The most common is running the attenna too close to the motor or ESC. Mounting the ESC in the stock location or on the left side (like you did) and routing the attenna up through the stock location typically avoids those types of problems.

The Spektrum is also a great solution if a best costly. Either way.. Glad you're happy with your truck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Blazing_angel_

DAMNNIT. i have a stampede XL-05 Waterproof, and was planning to get a sidewinder...would this cause interferance? is the stampedes chassis desing good enough to avoid signal interfeance?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
hands without shadows

Its a plastic chassis. It doesnt effect the signal. Its all about how you route the wires.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Blazing_angel_

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Its a plastic chassis. It doesnt effect the signal. Its all about how you route the wires.
i meant the positioning of devices in the chassis...damn i seemed stupid
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
carlsbad0331

In reference to the radio interference, I have been told by two different shops and some research that Castle electronics simply do not work well with the stock Traxxas radio's. Although it can be made better by doing the foil wrapping and routing, I found little improvement. At the higher speeds, loss of control was a real fear and the new radio exuipment solved it perfectly. I measure the parking lot Im using this morning using a fange finder and it measure 224 yards. If I stand at the center I can get full range for the entire distance. (112 yards)
I did find one disappointing thing today. It seems that the Sidewinder system does not save data to be used in the graphing program.
Am I correct, or am I doing something wrong?

Here are the Castle Link settings I mentioned yesterday.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><xml><w:worddocument><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel><m:mathpr><m:mathfont m:val="Cambria Math"></m:mathfont><m:brkbin m:val="before"></m:brkbin><m:brkbinsub m:val=""></m:brkbinsub><m:smallfrac m:val="off"></m:smallfrac><m:dispdef></m:dispdef><m:lmargin m:val="0"></m:lmargin><m:rmargin m:val="0"></m:rmargin><m:defjc m:val="centerGroup"></m:defjc><m:wrapindent m:val="1440"></m:wrapindent><m:intlim m:val="subSup"></m:intlim><m:narylim m:val="undOvr"></m:narylim></m:mathpr></w:worddocument></xml><xml><w:latentstyles latentstylecount="267" defpriority="99" defqformat="false" defsemihidden="true" defunhidewhenused="true" deflockedstate="false"><w:lsdexception name="Normal" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="0" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 1" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 2" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 3" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 4" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 5" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 6" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 7" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 8" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="heading 9" qformat="true" priority="9" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 1" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 2" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 3" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 4" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 5" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 6" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 7" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 8" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="toc 9" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="caption" qformat="true" priority="35" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Title" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="10" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Default Paragraph Font" priority="1" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Subtitle" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="11" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Strong" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="22" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="20" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Table Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="59" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Placeholder Text" unhidewhenused="false" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="No Spacing" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="1" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Revision" unhidewhenused="false" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="List Paragraph" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="34" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Quote" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="29" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Intense Quote" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="30" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 1" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 2" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 3" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 4" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 5" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Shading Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="60" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="61" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Light Grid Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="62" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="63" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="64" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="65" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium List 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="66" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="67" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="68" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="69" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Dark List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="70" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Shading Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="71" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful List Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="72" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Colorful Grid Accent 6" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="73" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Subtle Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="19" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Intense Emphasis" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="21" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Subtle Reference" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="31" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Intense Reference" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="32" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Book Title" qformat="true" unhidewhenused="false" semihidden="false" priority="33" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="Bibliography" priority="37" locked="false"></w:lsdexception><w:lsdexception name="TOC Heading" qformat="true" priority="39" locked="false"></w:lsdexception></w:latentstyles></xml><style type="text/css"></style><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-qformat:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}</style>

6.o volt cutoff

Forward/brake/reverse

Motor direction: normal

Brake amount 60%

Drag brake: disabled

Punch control: 10%

Reverse throttle: 50%

Motor type: brushless

Power on warning: beep on

<o></o>

Sensorless motor timing: 15%

Arming time: 1.5 sec

Throttle dead band: average

Start power: high

</meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Blazing_angel_

ORIGINAL: carlsbad0331

In reference to the radio interference, I have been told by two different shops and some research that Castle electronics simply do not work well with the stock Traxxas radio's. Although it can be made better by doing the foil wrapping and routing, I found little improvement. At the higher speeds, loss of control was a real fear and the new radio exuipment solved it perfectly. I measure the parking lot Im using this morning using a fange finder and it measure 224 yards. If I stand at the center I can get full range for the entire distance. (112 yards)
I did find one disappointing thing today. It seems that the Sidewinder system does not save data to be used in the graphing program.
Am I correct, or am I doing something wrong?

Really damnnit, i dont have enough $$ to buy a radio system too, so i guess its just gonna be the vxl...
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
carlsbad0331

ORIGINAL: Blazing_angel_
Really damnnit, i dont have enough $$ to buy a radio system too, so i guess its just gonna be the vxl...
I think you will be very happy with the VXL, and given the chance to do it over again, that is the route I would have taken.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Blazing_angel_

ok that just motmivated me (thanks )
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
carlsbad0331

Look in to the Traxxas trade in program... You can get the VXL system for $130 if you trade in the original parts. I could not find a single shop here inSoCal that would do the trade, so it would have been done by mail... But it would save you about $50.
T