Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Perfect brushed motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Ken448

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Perfect brushed motor

Heres a couple links if you can make sense of the "chart"
http://e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

And some other good stuff to read:
http://e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Firebolt 15t is the one in the blitz
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWHX0&P=Z $14
great call man!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Blazing_angel_

i'm running the electrifly s-600. Fellow forum member john01.... helped me out on this decision. ok, first, what battery are you runningg (its prolly in the thread so ill search). a s-600 seems a bit slower with 6 cells, but it has a lot more torque, so you can gear higher. im currently running and 8 cell battery, and theit gives me roughly 35mph (estimate). downside?
you have so make a flat point on the shaft, its all round stock. besides these little things, its a great motor. its works on the xl-5 esc
Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
vpower

ok stop with the brushed talk all brushed motors suck thats why they put it on cheap toy's r us rc toys.

ive been dooing some research for you and ive found a awesome brushless combo that gives the most bang for your buck.[link=http://www.hobbywing.com/english/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=426]you would want too see this[/link]
Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
gwcrim

Other than cost, my only other objection to a BLsystem is that my boys will run through mud puddles and snow. My 7 year old is attracted to mud holes as much as he is to ice cream.

How do Iaddress that? Use a VXLesc? Are any others "water resistant".
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
vpower

you can always tell them not to run it trough mud snow water exc. and there are ways of making it all water proof just ask rclugnut.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
gwcrim

ORIGINAL: vpower

you can always tell them not to run it trough mud snow water ..........

Not my little guy. That's the first thing he looks for.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd ignore vpower personally. For kids a brushed motor is WAY more than enough power to handle.
You could always get a Mabuchi RS-540SH, they are the 27t motor tamiya uses. They also perform pretty well and are usually dirt cheap (see a pile on ebay for $9 buy it now shipped currently) and have pretty decent performance. Won't be as fast as the titan 550 but it should last. I've driven mine into big water puddles and through snow and it works perfectly fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
gwcrim

Little update here.  I called Traxxas and they are sending two new motors and 16t pinions.  I'll break them in as instructed and start saving for a BL system.

Thanks to you all for the input. 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
srt10

ok stop with the brushed talk all brushed motors suck thats why they put it on cheap toy's r us rc toys.

ive been dooing some research for you and ive found a awesome brushless combo that gives the most bang for your buck.[link=http://www.hobbywing.com/english/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=426]you would want too see this[/link]
Not at all!
there are still some brushed motors that will rock some brushless motors!
and some still race with brushed cans [:-]
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
vpower

I'd ignore vpower personally. For kids a brushed motor is WAY more than enough power to handle.
You could always get a Mabuchi RS-540SH, they are the 27t motor tamiya uses. They also perform pretty well and are usually dirt cheap (see a pile on ebay for $9 buy it now shipped currently) and have pretty decent performance. Won't be as fast as the titan 550 but it should last. I've driven mine into big water puddles and through snow and it works perfectly fine.
you best not ignore someone who is giving important info on good cheap bl systems(if i were you i would look for another forum to be mean on!)
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Redvanmafia

Yeah don't go around talking like a clown, brushed motors are dead and gone, for the price of a brushed motor and esc, you can get a brushless motor and esc, Don't want a 70mph street rocket?, don't run high voltage. brushed is a waste of time its 2010 get with the program
Old 01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

you best not ignore someone who is giving important info on good cheap bl systems(if i were you i would look for another forum to be mean on!)
thing is he was asking about a MOTOR ONLY not a whole system seeing he wanted to keep his 2 kids at the same level. So you would be talking 2X the brushless system you recommended which is not cheap (lowest cost is about $200 for 2X Hobby wing BL systems), or replacing a motor for $15 or so. I'm being mean? This is coming from the person that basically called people idiots that were trying to help him in a in a thread he made asking about a a 9000V or so motor esc combo.

And redvan same to you a BL setup would be perfectly fine, but he was only replacing a burnt titan 550 not the ESC, and specifically asked about a brushed motor. 2010 get with the program? I swear you people love to troll around, and derail threads that shockingly remain on topic.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
srt10

Agreed SyCo VeNoM! [:-]
I really have know idea why rude people come onto threads and call people names and jack the thread...[:@]
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
vpower

ORIGINAL: srt10

Agreed SyCo VeNoM! [:-]
I really have know idea why rude people come onto threads and call people names and jack the thread...[:@]
???? lol your one of them
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
vpower

thing is he was asking about a MOTOR ONLY not a whole system seeing he wanted to keep his 2 kids at the same level. So you would be talking 2X the brushless system you recommended which is not cheap (lowest cost is about $200 for 2X Hobby wing BL systems), or replacing a motor for $15 or so. I'm being mean? This is coming from the person that basically called people idiots that were trying to help him in a in a thread he made asking about a a 9000V or so motor esc combo.

And redvan same to you a BL setup would be perfectly fine, but he was only replacing a burnt titan 550 not the ESC, and specifically asked about a brushed motor. 2010 get with the program? I swear you people love to troll around, and derail threads that shockingly remain on topic.
ok i really didnt know much about the 9000 i admit that but a brushless will last a long time and is more effiecient so acually you'll be cutting your costs()
Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
srt10

Rude????
find another thread to jack
Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
vpower

Rude????
me?? your the one who is[&:]
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ok i really didnt know much about the 9000 i admit that but a brushless will last a long time and is more effiecient so acually you'll be cutting your costs()
In one way cost would be cut, a $20 replacement brushed motors once every god knows when. Like I said earlier my nephews Titan 550 has been going strong since he got his pede in I think may, he bought the truck used so who knows how much runtime it had prior (it was royally banged up).

Or seeing the way he described his kids driving and loving puddles and stuff A BL motor once water gets inside and shorts out and a pile of parts they will break hitting things going insanely fast. Hell even on NiMh's those things can go quite fast. My brama prolly hit 60 before it snapped off the rear, and destroyed its diff on a 6 cell NiMh (and just FYI it wasn't my driving that was the issue the thing actually didn't hit anything with it the thing snapped from the power the motor was putting out).

Now if an older kid or an adult was driving it I would say sure BL but kids are another thing.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Rude????
me?? your the one who is[&:]

holy crap what are you 4?shut up!quit postin bs on this guys thread whos tryin to get help for his kids.go to youtube and do that crap.syco and srt, thanks for tryin to help.vpowr and red quit bsin.if your not gonna help him or commit to this thread leave.to get back on topic, i replaced the burnt out titan in my rustler(old one with the yellow xl5 ) with an orion sv somethin 17 turn, which only recently burned out, yesterday actually.[:@] id try the titans you get, and if those go again, id say go with the orions or maybe a trinity or something, speedgem 10t is what im gonna throw in my rustler next week [8D] the orion lasted me over a year of royally mackin that thing around.if my truck could talk and had feelings, itd be madder than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
traxxaspede

Just something to add, if he's driving in mud/dirt/snow a lot you shoud clean out and re oil the bearings (motor/others) pretty often
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 PM
ELK

ORIGINAL: gwcrim

It didn't make it a month. My youngest has roached the Titan in his Stampede XL5. He's like his daddy.... could break an anvil.

I want to stay brushed because he aims at every mud hole or snow pile he can find. I want rebuildable so I don't have to keep replacing motors. We're running 5000 mah 7 cell Nimhs.

One thing I've learned in my years of racing and hot rodding:

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

You can only choose two.

In this case, I'm more concerned with Cheap and Reliable (rebuildable.) Suggestions please?

(Yes, I've searched and searched threads here. Everyone likes to refer to links that are out of date.)

Thanks

Crim
just get a water proof brushless
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

he needs 2 and brushless aint cheap, and cheap dont mean its gonna last
Old 01-22-2010, 11:23 PM
FairTax4me

There are Waterproof BL systems out there, and you can make any ESC waterproof by dunking it in plastidip or liquid tape, but that voids the warranty. So either you spend a ton of money of an already waterproofed system, or spend half the cost on two BL systems that might not last a month, and will be too fast for the kids driving them. Not to mention, the XL5 does NOT have the hardened steel gears necessary for brushless power in the stampede. Yes people can and do run BL setups in other Pedes without steel gears. But these are kids, they don't have the same judgement of throttle control as an older more experienced RCer will have. They're going to be rough on the trucks, and plastic gears probably won't last a day under heavy BL abuse.

Ken I'm gonna have to pick up a few motors off that list. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

There are Waterproof BL systems out there, and you can make any ESC waterproof by dunking it in plastidip or liquid tape, but that voids the warranty. So either you spend a ton of money of an already waterproofed system, or spend half the cost on two BL systems that might not last a month, and will be too fast for the kids driving them. Not to mention, the XL5 does NOT have the hardened steel gears necessary for brushless power in the stampede. Yes people can and do run BL setups in other Pedes without steel gears. But these are kids, they don't have the same judgement of throttle control as an older more experienced RCer will have. They're going to be rough on the trucks, and plastic gears probably won't last a day under heavy BL abuse.

Ken I'm gonna have to pick up a few motors off that list. Thanks for posting the link!
I've read the same thing on waterproofing any ESC. Only issue I got with that dunking thing people say wouldn't the plastic coating hold in heat and cause the thing to overheat alot easier than normal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.