Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Perfect brushed motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
gwcrim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Perfect brushed motor

It didn't make it a month. My youngest has roached the Titan in his Stampede XL5. He's like his daddy.... could break an anvil.

Iwant to stay brushed because he aims at every mud hole or snow pile he can find. Iwant rebuildable so I don't have to keep replacing motors. We're running 5000 mah 7 cell Nimhs.

One thing I've learned in my years of racing and hot rodding:

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

You can only choose two.

In this case, I'm more concerned with Cheap and Reliable (rebuildable.) Suggestions please?

(Yes, I've searched and searched threads here. Everyone likes to refer to links that are out of date.)

Thanks

Crim
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: The Perfect brushed motor

S-600 ? I don't think it's rebuildable, but it's really cheap, and way strong I've heard.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
gwcrim

LHS recommends a Venom 15T. Any good?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a venom 21t and no not so good IMO. I've not had a good experience with mine. Sucks more juice than a 12t, runs hot, and has no internal cooling fan to help keep it cool.

I have a Tamiya 27t (runs nice), Saturn 27t again runs cooler than hell, a saturn 35t (Only got it hot once running masher 2ks on a over geared buggy), Venom 21d (junk), Titan 550 12t (better than the venom but not by much)

Should have added my 27t motors both out perform the Venom 21d
Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM
gwcrim

The Venoms sure don't have a good rep if you search these forums. I think I'll pass on them. What about a Reedy Radon? Are bearings important vs bushings?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I have a reedy radon. It has good performance geared 12/87 in my stampede. Gearing needs to come up a little for high speed running though. It gets warm doing speed runs. My Reedy actually had the front bushing fail after just a few packs of use. I called associated and they sent me a new one for free. Should be in the mail now. In the mean time i fixed the other one with an old bushing and so far so good It has good power and run times are 20-25 minutes with a 5000mah venom 7.2v pack. Its not "rebuildable", but you can put new brushes and springs in it. You can take it completely apart like I did, its just not as easy as a "rebuildable" motor.

Here is a video showing some off road bashing and performance of the motor. Has lots of low end snap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwRVxrqVRAU[/youtube]

Overall, Im going to say its a good motor for the money even though i had a problem right out of the gate. The motor was fairly cheap at $22, and they had great customer service sending me a new one right out without wanting my old one back, so i would reccomend it. If you get one, I would reccomend something like 14/87 or 14/90 gearing. I think that would be perfect if you want some speed. Mine gets pretty hot doing speed runs but i think that is because of the low gearing. My father in laws blitz has the stock 15t HPI motor in it and its a great motor. Has good power, and real good stop speed. They arent rebuildable, but they are cheap. Definately a good motor for someone on the cheap, and i cant believe how cool it runs. Of course his motor plate is aluminum where mine is plastic on the pede, and that probably makes a difference getting rid of the heat.

Eric

Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
gwcrim

Thanks so far........ I've also seen good reports on Graupner 600s. Anyone run them?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Access

Back in the days I had pretty good luck with reedy quad mag 19t motors. But I really wasn't running brushed for very long. After a few times changing the brushes, then you need to get a comm cut and that's around when I gave up on most of the brushed setups.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've had good luck with orion brushed sport motors, i wish i got the one with bearings but i got bushed thinking it was fully rebuildable, (the brushes are replaceable but you'can touch the com) and you can't get to the bearings... either way the 15T bushed is pretty powerful, i also have a 19T from them and it's wayyyy more powerful than my venom 19t, and my 15t never ran once from venom....

the lug
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: gwcrim

One thing I've learned in my years of racing and hot rodding:

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

You can only choose two.

In this case, I'm more concerned with Cheap and Reliable (rebuildable.) Suggestions please?

(Yes, I've searched and searched threads here. Everyone likes to refer to links that are out of date.)

Thanks

Crim
you must read OSE?
I love Orion brushed motors but I cannot find any 19t or 17t motors anymore
I do have two Team Orion Revolution Touring 13x1 motors with nothing to put them in! [:-]
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say just keep getting the Titan 12T. Speed 600s are more torquey but slower, so that is also a good route. Maybe some of those and a slightly larger pinion.

I would not buy a rebuildable motor if I were you. You'd be ticked if he buggered it up and ruined your plans of replacing brushes. (ex. picking up a stone inside)

When the brushes wear out or the commutator needs to be turned on a Titan, or S600, just check it and buy a new one.

www.maxxprod.com has another good cheap option, something like $12. I'm too lazy to look it up now, but if you go to their site and look, you'll find it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
gwcrim

I did a lot of research last night and agree that rebuildable may not be the way to go.   But day-am..... I just bought two of these trucks a month ago and if I go brushless for one of my boys, of course the other will have to as well.  $400 for two nice toys is one thing.  $600+ is another.

Maybe we'll just go racing pinewood derby cars. 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Eman77

gwcrim - I say just go the cheap route and get the 600s or more Titan 12T 550s. With the Titans, people seem to have mixed luck - either they die after a dozen runs, or they last a really long time. Maybe the S600 is the answer, as it's cheap, and your stock ESC can run it I believe. It's just an easier solution

Heck, even if you burn through 5 of 'em, it's still cheaper than Brushless (if you include the motor and ESC you'll need).

The only thing, is with the S600s, you'll have to grind a flat spot on the shaft so the pinion grub screw will take hold. If you've already got a Dremel, you're set.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

gwcrim - I say just go the cheap route and get the 600s or more Titan 12T 550s. With the Titans, people seem to have mixed luck - either they die after a dozen runs, or they last a really long time. Maybe the S600 is the answer, as it's cheap, and your stock ESC can run it I believe. It's just an easier solution

Heck, even if you burn through 5 of 'em, it's still cheaper than Brushless (if you include the motor and ESC you'll need).

The only thing, is with the S600s, you'll have to grind a flat spot on the shaft so the pinion grub screw will take hold. If you've already got a Dremel, you're set.
Yea my nephews Titan 550 is lasting him a good amount of time. He runs his daily and bought the truck used (has a yellow xl-5) and you can tell it was ran alot before he even got it. My titan 550 died after 2 uses.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gwcrim

I did a lot of research last night and agree that rebuildable may not be the way to go. But day-am..... I just bought two of these trucks a month ago and if I go brushless for one of my boys, of course the other will have to as well. $400 for two nice toys is one thing. $600+ is another.

Maybe we'll just go racing pinewood derby cars.
Here's a thought. Buy them each another cheap brushed motor, and tell them that one has to last a while.

Tell them you want them to have brushless, but that they'll have to earn them by doing chores and saving up. Mowing the lawn, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. You might even give them more for doing these jobs than they're worth. This would teach them a lesson, reduce yours or your wife's workload, and teach them the value of working & saving.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
gwcrim

Well the second Titan took a dump tonight. Ijust can't bring myself to buy more of them. Iwill admit that neither was broken in but holy freaking cow. They weren't beat, abused or run all that much.

Just to confirm my test, I put the volt meter on the motor, squeeze the trigger and get good voltage.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
FairTax4me

Check out Kershawdesigns.com
Their Revolver 650S should be a decent replacement motor for the Titan. Plus it can be run on 8 cell nimh packs with ease. Might not be as fast, but it will certainly last longer the Titan 12.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
cummins driver

If you want something cheap and reliable I think i would go with the 15t HPI motor that comes in the Blitz. I cant remember what its called, but im very impressed with the power and how cool it stays so i can see it lasting a long time.

Eric
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Firebolt 15t is the one in the blitz
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWHX0&P=Z $14
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM
cummins driver

Yeah, thats the one. Im pretty impressed with it for a stock motor, and they are cheap, easy to find, and should last a long time with as cool as it runs in the Blitz.

Eric
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

hell just ordered me one, never heard of it b4 you mentioned it, the motor should make my DF-02 go flying
found it for $15 shipped on ebay with a pinion
Old 01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
cummins driver

Let us know how you like it

I know the father in laws blitz is a few MPH faster than my Pede with about the same bottom end(the smaller tires may help with less rotating weight), and you can hold the motor as long as you want after running 2 straight battery packs through it.

Eric
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Ken448

I used to buy something like these for "throw away" motors. Dont remember the exact specs, BUT if you look arounf, and find the specs, Id bet you can come up with a near match of the Titan or better motor for CHEAP

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...MABUCHI/1.html
You dont want THIS motor, it is only rated @4500rpm just showing an example
Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ken448

I used to buy something like these for ''throw away'' motors. Dont remember the exact specs, BUT if you look arounf, and find the specs, Id bet you can come up with a near match of the Titan or better motor for CHEAP

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...MABUCHI/1.html
man funny you mention that motor. When I was going through my big box of junk looking for a 12v power supply for the lipo charger I ordered I found the SH version of that motor and was like OOOHHH wonder how many turns this equals. (still trying to find out)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Ken448

over on e-savage.com, there was a guy that knew all the specs of the sealed can motors, Im trying to find it now.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.