Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

EnerG 7 cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 AM
searlesy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EnerG 7 cell

Looking at ordering some EnerG 7 cell stick pack style configuration, what does matched and unmatched mean, and how important is it?

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EnerG 7 cell

Give this a read. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n9200022/
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 AM
searlesy

Cheers, thanks. Do you think they are worthwhile? It sounds as if purely in terms of longevity the concept makes a lot of sense..
Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Blazing_angel_

i've got a 8 cell ener-g form pro match, and i must say its awesome. get a matched pack, they will have better performance becuase the cells ar ethe higest capactiy/discharge rates ones they've got.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
flat6
My Feedback: (5)

ive got an energ 7 cell unmatched and it works great but if i did it over again id go with matched.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM
FairTax4me

Not all cells are created equal. Some preform better than others. The best performing ones are picked out of the bunch and paired with other cells that perform in a similar manner. These are "matched" cells because they all fall close in range of run time, internal resistance, and average voltage. Unmatched cells are the left overs from the matching process that couldn't be paired closely with the other higher performing cells. But they're still good.

Matched cell packs require a good deal of maintenance to keep them performing at their peak. Over time the cells will get out of balance, meaning that some will start to charge/discharge faster than others, or will have slightly different voltage at full capacity. When that happens its no better than an unmatched pack as far as performance goes. To keep matched packs at their best you want a balance tray and a 30 amp discharger to condition the cells. If you don't have and use that equipment, the extra cost of matched cells is really a waste because in a month of use they'll likely be no better than unmatched.