Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which basher is the best for a first timer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
acctingman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which basher is the best for a first timer

Howdy all

I'm thinking of getting back into RC'ing. Last truck I had was a Stampede like 6 years ago. I'd like to get an electric run truck now. Looking for a basher more than anything.

Looking for something that is fast though....40mph+

ANY suggestion are welcome and I will research those options.

Thanks to all those that offer their .02c
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Which basher is the best for a first timer

Most important thing is your budget. Without knowing that people will have suggestions all over the place.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
acctingman

DOH!

Sorry, you are right

$500 for the truck/battery and a nice controller

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Blazing_angel_

i say either slash, stampede again, rustler, or the all new slash 4x4. then buy a onyx 230 charger and seperate balancer. DONE!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BL Stampede ($324 from tower) with a few hobbyking Turnigy lipo's and a charger (around $120 for 2 2S 5200mAh lipos and charger)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB6**&P=ML

or you can get the Slash 4X4 which has a 2.4ghz controller for $400 and stretch the budget a tiny bit for batteries and charger
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYNB0**&P=ML
Old 01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firestorm flux and some zippy lipo's good for 45mph and long run times.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Bigbangtheory

Slash is pretty durable....just broke mine yesterday, but I beat the crap out of it on pavement, so actually very surprising it has lasted this long, lol!

4x4 would be my choice if I had 500 smacks, then again it all depends on what type of terrian you will be on. For offroad, I would hit up the brushless Stampede...for pavement running/dirt tracks, I would do the slash.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend a slash. Then get a vxl system and a couple of lipos from hobby city. On 3S you can easily hit 40mph. Having already owned a pede you know how tough these trucks are.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Budman68
My Feedback: (4)

I vote HPI Firestorm or Traxxas Rustler.  Buy the Brushless versions, recommended above. Both will drive great on grass and dirt.  Both my Slash and Blitz will drive on grass, but very fast unless upgraded.  How about an e-maxx, is that in you budget?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The stampede is just an awesome basher, so I say VXL stampede. Im surprised at how much better my stampede is with hills, grass, and ruts than my FIL's blitz is. It also handles pretty good to be as tall as it is. Just cant hardly beat the old tried and true stampede[8D]

Eric
Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
motobrett

revo all the way. seriously.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be aware that when people enter or re-enter, they are focused a lot on speed. But speeding up and down the street at 40+ mph gets old in a hurry. After you get over the need for speed, where will you want to be driving?

The Stampede is a good basher, and $500 will get you a nice brushless setup and spare batteries. But it has the typical 2WD handling: Doesn't want to go well on grass, and the rear end comes around on loose surfaces unless you're very careful.

For $500, you could also get a nice HPI E-Savage that will leave a Stampede VXL for dead on any offroad area that involves turning or grass taller than 2". It won't be brushless or 40+ mph out of the box, but if you want all-out speed, why are you looking at off-road? May as well get a touring car.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
radiojh

Slash!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
twp

I am in the same boat. I have been out of the hobby a few years and am getting back in. I cant make my mind up on what I want. I like the rock crawlers, but they are slow. I also like the e maxx and the 4x4 slash. All I am going to do is drive it on the street and yard, jump ramps. I really like the slash but I might be to hard on it. My last emaxx held up reall good. The last rock crawler I had was alot off fun also. I just dont know.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Lurp06x

well really what kind of style of rc you looking for? if its a monster truck then go e-savage, but if its just 4wd then get the new slash 4x4 at stormerhobbies.com they have it for $370 then you got around $130 to spend on charger an batteries.

but really with $500 you could get almost anything you want. its really hard to give advice with it being used for bashing and you want it to go over 40mph. because almost every rc can and is used for bashing and with brushless motors you can go well over 40mph.

maybe you should look around at some sites and gather in whats out there an then tell us what your looking for an then we can for sure help you with info on the rc you are looking for. because really, from what you said you dont know what your looking for you just want a fast basher.

heres some general web sites i like.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...epage.template

i would show towerhobbies.com but you need to be a member to get great deals there.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

E firestorm is a great 1st truck ... basically its a rubber truck, ya can twist em up like a pretzel and they just snap back
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Dirt_hawg

I highly recommend a slash...Whatever choice you go with( traxxas anyway), Get some aluminum shock caps,thicker shock oil,and rpm parts (shock towers,a arms,hubs, caster blocks)..Im not saying Traxxas is crap...They are so much more bashable than other brands..I beat the crap out of my slash and the rpm parts make it much much more durable..I actually try to break my slash and it just keeps on going!!..The same holds to the other traxxas models...The slash is just a really fun vehicle..Especially with a VXL system!!!
Also, the stock front and rear bumpers add alot more protection...

Slash a perfect 10[sm=thumbup.gif]

Brian @ http://www.gshobby.com/ is awesome to deal with!!!!