Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Monster GT Conversion With A Center Diff (Finished Pictures, Page 2!!!)

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

thoose poor poor tires....

the lug
    Lol, I am not worried about them, I am getting new Badlands in the mail tomorrow, so I might as well try to shred these ones. lol
    -Chris
    My Race/Bash Rigs ~ Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy / MBX5R Prospec Buggy - Picco/Werks - ACE/XP - Fioroni - Reckward Tuning - King Headz - JConcepts/Proline

\"ThunderbirdJunkie just ripped a bodacious White Castle Chicken Rings fart.\" - TBJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

gotta get a body on that thing.
    OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, stock sprint 2 drift, Savage Flux (4S), slash (just a roller for now)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So I got my Badlands glued to some half offset wheels, and put an extra body I had for my truggy on it, and it looks awesome! Pictures tomorrow if the weather isn't crappy. Will finally get to test it out with the badlands tomorrow also (if it's not raining that is). Other than that, I don't really have any updates for this truck.
    -Chris
    My Race/Bash Rigs ~ Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy / MBX5R Prospec Buggy - Picco/Werks - ACE/XP - Fioroni - Reckward Tuning - King Headz - JConcepts/Proline

\"ThunderbirdJunkie just ripped a bodacious White Castle Chicken Rings fart.\" - TBJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! Nice truck dude!
    \"Some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer\" -46u
    If you don\'\'t allow yourself to fail, you\'\'ll never allow yourself to succeed-ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

So I got my Badlands glued to some half offset wheels, and put an extra body I had for my truggy on it, and it looks awesome! Pictures tomorrow if the weather isn't crappy. Will finally get to test it out with the badlands tomorrow also (if it's not raining that is). Other than that, I don't really have any updates for this truck.
    phaltlines, really high gearing and a swoopy body and go for broke. PLEASE. If that video isn't doing it justice then I can't wait to see one that does.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess it's a bit overdue for a teaser shot, but here ya go.... a very pixelated screen shot of my CAD drawing, and the drawing isn't quite done yet.

A couple hints, it isn't what you probably think it is, and it will be cut out with a PlasmaCam CNC plasma cutter.

And I am not saying what material it will be made of.

-Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Getting whatever it is in the teaser pic cut out tomorrow (Friday), can't wait! Expect pictures of the almost finished or finished product tomorrow night..
    -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bet you're making it out of Delrin yo
    \"Some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer\" -46u
    If you don\'\'t allow yourself to fail, you\'\'ll never allow yourself to succeed-ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. I had the motor mount cut out and its already had a slight design change made to it and completed.

So anyway, I changed a few things from my original design change idea.... What I have done is eliminate 1 extra part from the entire assembly, turning the motor mount, top plate, and 1 of the center diff mounts into a single piece, for a 2 piece design. I originally planned on welding on a piece of 1/4'' plate to the bottom, using the same bearing retaining plate design I used with the current setup, and drilling and threading the 1/4'' plate, as well as using tabs that attach to the upper section of the chassis, but that just seemed over-complicated and not really necessary, so instead I welded on a piece of 10ga (to keep the weight down a bit over more 3/16'' without compromising any strength), and drilled 2 holes through it, not threaded as there will be a nut on the end of the screws going through, and decided not to use tabs that mount to the upper section of the chassis since there isn't really a need for them and it would look cleaner without them.

I was also lucky enough to have drilled the perfect sized hole in the motor mount plate the first time around, as the bearing fits in with no slop. I then welded on a piece of 14ga with a smaller hole to retain the diff bearing. I also filled in the 4 holes in the motor plate from the previous design and ground them smooth, and did the same with the top plate holes, then drilled 2 new ones slightly farther back to prevent the center diff from being able to walk back and fourth in the bearing holes. The result was pretty good IMO. And I did spray it with clear coat, so it should stay nice looking for a long time.

So here are some pictures of the current setup, and I put a picture of the first motor mount design in the truck at the bottom.

And this is an old pic from about a week ago, this is the 1st design of the motor mount in the truck -

-Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work Chris! Like how you made the mount to work with the existing center diff mount! Looks bomb proof. Now just go make a vid...
    Axial AX10, \"Irene\" with custom chassis, Thunder Tiger ST-1 [not working]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

spiffy
    OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, stock sprint 2 drift, Savage Flux (4S), slash (just a roller for now)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I should update the thread after a couple months huh?

Did a major design modification to my motor mount, went to a hanging setup. Not totally done yet, just have the finish work left to do, but I got alot of it done yesterday and so far so good.

[IMaGe]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1387.jpg[/IMaGe]

[IMaGe]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1388.jpg[/IMaGe]

[IMaGe]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1389.jpg[/IMaGe]

[IMaGe]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1390.jpg[/IMaGe]

[IMaGe]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1391.jpg[/IMaGe]

It's a hanging setup, nothing holding it on at the bottom of the chassis, only at the top, and the diff basically hangs from the motor mount. Nothing super amazing, but I thought it would look a lot cooler than the previous setup.

While I wait for a new LiPo from HobbyCity, I will clean the mount up a lot with files and the dremel, as well as dunk it in some muriatic acid for a few hours to clean it really well and save some work with the files (it will smooth out the surface quite a bit, I've done it before with other parts with great results). I also need to clearance the chassis a bit more for the wide plastic spur I have now, so I'll try to do it in such a way that looks factory rather than the current hack job I did with a sanding drum on my Dremel. Also ordered a new chassis so I'm just going to clearance the new one also and send the old one off to be polished and use whichever looks better. Stay tuned for more updates

-Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for the hijack.

Eric
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run the truck all the time, just decided I'd redo my motor mount to be even more unique. I was outdone by a French guy on RCM with a really nice milled aluminum center diff motor mount that he machined himself, so not to be outdone for very long( ), I did a very unique "hanging center diff" setup. Gotten a lot of great feedback about the setup over on RCM, a lot of people like it. I haven't gotten to try out this new design yet but it will work just fine, it's actually a more reinforced design than my previous one and puts the whole setup slightly lower for a better COG.

I hate transmissions, no offense to you but I am not a fan of your conversion due to the fact that you used a transmission. It may be reliable for you, but in the past I've always had bad luck with trucks with transmissions, constant problems. Center diffs are the only way to go if you want near 100% reliability and strength. Plus help with handling due to the fact that they allow the front and rear to spin at different speeds through a corner and they have a much lower center of gravity compared to a transmission. And if you prefer the solid center driveline of a transmission, just fill the center diff with silly putty or some Racers Edge brand diff locking putty (I think that's who makes it?). Plus with the release of the RC-Monster universal vertical style center diff motor mount, you can have a very clean and factory looking setup for a relatively low cost (compared to having something custom machined).

Also, ditch the NiMH batteries if you can afford to go LiPo. I'd hate to know how hot those are after 1 run. I can pull over 18 minutes of runtime with two 3S 4000mAh 40C/50C LiPo packs (in series for 6S) with medium to hard running, and about 17 minutes at the lowest with hard running. Lower Kv and higher voltage means efficiency, thus longer runtimes. The setup may cost more, but well worth it in the end. I have had my MMM for over a year and in 2 different trucks now and my Tekin motor for about 7 months in 2 different trucks and I never have any problems with either one. And Castle and Tekin customer service is about the best there is.

EDIT: Get rid of some of the receiver box setup too. Unless you run your truck through mud all the time then you don't really need it, its just excessive plastic which means excessive weight. PM me if you would like a link to my build thread on RCM, I have pics of how I was able to keep the steering servo mount from the radio box/tray but eliminate the rest and still keep the servo mount securely screwed down to the chassis/mudguard.

Overall, your truck is a decent conversion in my opinion, but I think you could make it a lot better. With a little bit of time and some fabrication work and you can make a nice center diff setup that will be much stronger than that E-Savage transmission could ever be.

(And not to be rude, but you kind of thread hi-jacked... lol)
    -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, I am MugenPiccoGuy on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...nPiccoGuy&aq=f ), I have a couple videos of my original (and hack) setup, which was long before my nice steel center diff setup, but it had the same power system (Tekin/Castle). It's pretty mellow in my slow mo video because I have it geared down, and I try not to wheely alot in the speed runs video so I can actually get it to top speed. But that Tekin motor has some psycho power, especially in the lower RPM range (gotta love Tekin 1550Kv truggy motor power!).
    -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Every time I look at this, it makes me want an Monster GT. Well done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice... you need more videos of it on youtube though.... and a body.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: urjustamemory

Every time I look at this, it makes me want an Monster GT. Well done.
    Thanks!

ORIGINAL: adb140275

Nice... you need more videos of it on youtube though.... and a body.
    Way ahead of you with the body, I've had one for a long time now, just don't have any pictures of it with a body on it yet. JConcepts Mugen MBX5T body (since I only have like 7 extra bodies for my Mugen truggy, might as well use some of them).

More videos will come later, the truck is apart right now waiting for a new chassis and GH aluminum steering setup with a cam type servo saver. Hooray for not needing servo saver arms, hate those things, lol.
    -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's been a while since I updated this thread, and even these are older pictures. The truck doesn't have the 1717 shown, it has a 1520 in it, and I had the center diff motor mount powder coated blue (very close to the usual Associated blue). Still runs great, still have not had a single broken drive line part (diffs, shafts, center diff, etc.) in 2 1/2 years of romping on this truck. It has been run on 6S LiPo since day 1, three different motors (Tekin 1550kv truggy motor, CCNeu 1717, and currently a CCNeu 1520) and the drive line is still working great. I'd say that pretty good considering I shredded an HPI Bulletproof diff within the first 3 minutes of running my Savage Flux XL with the 1520 and 6S LiPo. It's been a great truck, no complaints about it other than the 1520 likes to break away from its front end bell, but I fixed that with a motor clamp and I clocked the endbell and redrilled/tapped the can.
    Just thought I'd also mention that the truck is for sale as a complete RTR package. If you are interested send me a PM.

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1649.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1650.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1651.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1653.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1654.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1655.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/ChrisKrawlin/DSCN1656.jpg[/IMAGE]
    -Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice man. How much you asking?
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! PM Sent.
    -Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12