Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Adding caps to esc???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding caps to esc???

I know this isn't the boat forum but I know you truck guys are pretty sharp on this stuff and the boat crew is taking a nap on this question!

I have heard of adding caps totheESCto improve things, since I am new to EP and EP boats specifically I don't know what this means?

Do you solder them across thebatteryleads going into the ESC from the battery or do you replace the caps on the ESC with bigger ones?

I have read that if the ESC overheats the caps can puff and need replaced. A warning sign before the ESC toasts?

I know there are some simple rules about adding caps in series vs parallel. 2 of the same in series cuts the capacitance in half and two of the same in parallel doubes the capacitance. How would this help an ESC to add a capacitor?

I will be working on a Proboat Stiletto that has a 60 amp ESC and a 1800kv motor with a 4s 5000mah 50C LiPo, I don't expect to change much but I will be changing the battery connections to 6 mm bullets.

Thanks for any Help!

Harry
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adding caps to esc???

sorry man, cant help you. i have no knowledge about the inner workings of ESCs and the same goes for a decent chunk of the others here. some of the vets might be able to help though.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

I would get a cap few caps rated to 20v and around 60uF wire them in paralel. 3 or 4 should be good, if you can't get 20v ones you'll have to wire up the ones that you get, so say you can get 5v 60uf caps you'll have to a 4s 3-4p arrangement...

the lug
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are u trying to gain???? or whats the problem????

Generally capacitors were used in the last gen r/c's to reduce The RF noise from brushes arcing. Will not work with most brushless setups(alot more to it with brushless ESC & very easy to mess up).
these days u can just get a cheap 2.4ghz radio gear & will nearly ellimenate 99% of glitches....

With the price of brushless setups & 2.4ghz radio gear why bother???
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotcha,
That's why I was confused when someone advised me I could add a cap to my ESC and it left me dumb-founded.

Thanks for sheding some light on the history, makes a lot of sence on a brushed motor and the RF interfenence on AM / FM radios.

The only other thing I could think of was hot-plugging the ESC to the battery because the on/off switch is only for the RX.
Surely, the ESC is designed for spike protection when we plug it in but maybe that is what they were meaning; I got an answer back minutes ago that said it was across the input from the battery to absorb spikes.

Thanks for the Insight.
I am always open to learn something new!
Alll the Best,
Harry
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Brainanator

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-cap-pack.html
edit:
Explains what it does/where to put it. I don't see boats listed though.
I personally wouldn't buy the cap pack, I would buy a few high quality caps and solder them on directly.
If you do this was you want to solder them in parallel. Just get high quality caps rated over the voltage you want to run your ESC on.
edit2:
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30692
last post has the rating for the cap pack caps.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hummmmmmm....

Sounds a bit funny to me....

Cars/Trucks: With their high torque requirements – going from 0 to 100% throttle isn't easy on controllers or batteries - RC cars and trucks put enormous loads on brushless power systems. Use CC CapPack to help your system power through the abuse.

IMO thats just a bunch of words with no clear meaning, I would like to ask castle what was the problem was?? can they explain it but more technical

inital thoughts, gimmick???
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 AM
kiyot78

Didn't know you could add them like that for the esc itself. You see alot of capacitors in way of glitch busting to help out with the amp draw of servos. Might need help there also depending on if you are using a high speed/torque servo. I ended up having to get one for an associated DS1015 on a spektrum radio because it was spazzing out. About the bad blowing out, I know years ago there was a ton of bad capacitors out there due to corporate espionage within capacitor companies. I have been able to rescue some TV's and Monitors just by opening them up and replacing blown capacitors, good place to order for me has been mouser.com