Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

REDCAT VOLCANO EPX PRO

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 PM
therumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REDCAT VOLCANO EPX PRO

Just got a NEW Valcano EPX Pro came with a 2000mah 7.2 battery, I charged the battery an tryed to putts around the house an it makes a good aweful noise an bucks an the reverse has the same noise! I am new to the redcat as are the other guys that I run with... So i am asking for some help, could anyone please help me? Is there a catch on setting this truck?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
FairTax4me

Default RE: REDCAT VOLCANO EPX PRO

Is this the brushless one? It's probably cogging. A better battery (which I would suggest you get immediately) and lower gearing will help, but it's gonna do that. It's just part of the way sensorless brushless motors work.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Have you checked the pinion to spur gear mesh?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM
gelbschnee

yep your motor is cogging. you need a battery that can supply more amperage (lipo) you wont really get 100% performance out of the motor until you run lipos.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM
therumble

Yes its brushless! Like i said im new to the sport, an really like it! Just got a new Losi Speed T off ebay the othernight! So if lipos are the way to go, whats the best way to go about them? Size, charger, an if i do get a lipo i would like to run the same kind of batterys in both my cars!! any an all your help is much thankful!

Thanks guys!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
DrunkenLord

I am too, just getting back into the RC world and bought a Redcat Volcano EPX on the web. I didnt realize that batteries were hard to find. Only on the web and Hobby town does not carry them. After runnning it lightly with the original connectors, I switched the 7.2 3000mah , 8.4 5000mah and Volcano to Tamiya connectors. Now it sputters out when I give it full throttle. The first charged on both batteries were at full capacity 3amp/5amp. Not sure if this is the issue. I also noticed a small red button on the esc. Not sure what that does? reset? help. did I do something bonehead here?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DrunkenLord

I am too, just getting back into the RC world and bought a Redcat Volcano EPX on the web. I didnt realize that batteries were hard to find. Only on the web and Hobby town does not carry them. After runnning it lightly withthe original connectors, I switched the 7.2 3000mah, 8.4 5000mah and Volcano to Tamiya connectors. Now it sputters out when I give it full throttle. The first charged on both batteries were at full capacity 3amp/5amp. Not sure if this is the issue. I also noticed a small red button on the esc. Not sure what that does? reset? help. did I do something bonehead here?
Use Dean connectors, tamiya connectors are terrible

Hobbyking and Hobbypartz have all your LIPO battery and LIPO Balance charger needs

NiMh batteries are not designed to handle brushless motors

I am assuming you have the brushless version, do you?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 AM
DrunkenLord

It is a brushless motor, and I noticed that that there is a red light blinking on the ESC when the motor cuts out. I turn the ESC off then on and it resets something, then it runs fine. after a while, the light starts to blink again. Should press that red button on the ESC? Does that "sync" something so that it will stop the Volacno from sputtering? Is that red button a self distruct explosion devise? (just kidding) But what does that red button do. Thanks for reponding to my questions earlier. I wasnt sure if anyone was still active on this thread.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
red603

had that problem and i turned off the lvc that would make it go away untl i turned the power off. then it would go back to it being turned on. simple solution....go lipo it really wakes this car up. i have one and am running 5200 40c 2s..goes for about 45 min and is a fast car..just remeber to glue the tires before you run it with a lipo for the first time...they will come off
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrunkenLord

It is a brushless motor, and I noticed that that there is a red light blinking on the ESC when the motor cuts out. I turn the ESC off then on and it resets something, then it runs fine. after a while, the light starts to blink again. Should press that red button on the ESC? Does that ''sync'' something so that it will stop the Volacno from sputtering? Is that red button a self distruct explosion devise? (just kidding) But what does that red button do. Thanks for reponding to my questions earlier. I wasnt sure if anyone was still active on this thread.
the blinking red light, and then motor power cutting off is a feature nessesary for lipo batteries.

It is not needed when running nimh batts.

Most likely, your nimh pack is weak or your charger isnt charging it very well.

Upgrade to a better battery and charger (lipo recommended) and you wont have this problem. A 2s lipo pack will also add more power/runtime and top speed to the volcano.

I run a skylipo 2s 5000mah pack in my volcano. 25+ minutes of runtime and lots better speed over any nimh pack.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
DrunkenLord

thanks people. good help. Just a leary of lippo's and all the caution required to use them...With nimh batteries, it runs like
a bat outa hell. I can only imagine what it will do with Lippo's?