Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless motor brands

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brushless motor brands

support of castle? have you ever tried talking to a tech? it should be called "how many reasons can we come up with not to warranty our product"

dont live in denial TBJ, you can polish a turd and charge exorbant prices, but its still just a turd.

bottom line though, you dont have to pay for a name to have power or quality. thats the same thing everyone said about feigao motors, turnigy lipos, and EZ run combo's. now i'm sure there will be the non believers- but if you dont believe me i can keep you posted with weekly updates on how well my "cheap" setup is running.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several ezrun systems, they have all been great. Very fast and always run cool. Have great tuning capabilities, cheap and the program card is great and better then lugging a laptop around. I seriously don't care what others say about them, As long as they are meeting my needs (like they did for 2 years so far) then I have no reason to get bothered by other peoples posts.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

support of castle? have you ever tried talking to a tech? it should be called ''how many reasons can we come up with not to warranty our product''

dont live in denial TBJ, you can polish a turd and charge exorbant prices, but its still just a turd.

bottom line though, you dont have to pay for a name to have power or quality. thats the same thing everyone said about feigao motors, turnigy lipos, and EZ run combo's. now i'm sure there will be the non believers- but if you dont believe me i can keep you posted with weekly updates on how well my ''cheap'' setup is running.
As ThunderbirdJunkie stated in the OTHER thread about "exorbitant" (you misspelled that, btw - a LOT) is that the users of cheap stuff and people like ThunderbirdJunkie, who buy GOOD stuff is that YOUR definition of "works well" means it "performs exactly the functions required to make it that thing they sell it as", and ThunderbirdJunkie's definition of "works well" is "performs far beyond any reasonable expectations". For example...tonight, ThunderbirdJunkie's Tekin RS Pro and his Trinity D3 10.5 kicked serious ass, outperforming pretty much every other 10.5 on the track, and came off the track at barely 140 degrees (motor) and 2 lights on the ESC (ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't temp Tekins, they don't thermal until 240 anyway) while dragging the rear bumper all the way down the front straight, obviously being pushed hard, but nowhere near the limits of the respective components. Another good example is ThunderbirdJunkie's Novak Cyclone that has seen temps of over 250 degrees that he bought back in 1998 that is attached to a 9 year old BRUSHED motor that still hangs with modern power systems in 1/10 2wd buggy.

On the other hand, we have ThunderbirdJunkie's F103GT with a Hobbywing 35a ESC and 13t motor combo. It's reasonably fast-ish, but it's an on road car...if an on road car isn't fast-ish, there's something horribly wrong. The ESC doesn't get hot, nor does the motor, but then again, it's only pulling around about 3 pounds worth of 2wd touring pan car, so it's not like it's drawing the amperage of a 2wd 1/10 SCT or 2wd 1/10 buggy.

ThunderbirdJunkie guarantees if he put that HW system in EITHER of his cars, it would die a very rapid, very hot, very smelly, potentially car-totalling death.

So, run your cheap stuff if you like it.

BTW, a coreless motor has a hollow armature that's wound around something, and that something is removed, and is generally DC, when we're discussing normal hobby type stuff. A typical RC car brushless motor is not, however, brushless, as evidenced by the grotesquely heavy rotor. Brushless motors are also 3 phase, which precludes them from being a typical hobby-type coreless motor like you'd find in the tail of a mini heli like the Blade MCPX or the Novus 125FP.

If ThunderbirdJunkie didn't think it'd catch his delicious RC10B4.1FT on fire, he'd put that HW 35a system in it and see how that system likes it when it sees huge amp spikes from landing big jumps wide open and such.

Please, tell ThunderbirdJunkie why he's overpaying again?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 PM
burnineyes

Thats a pretty odd comparison in my opinion. The 35A EZrun combos with the 380 size motor uses heatsinks to fill a 540 size mount, compared to an RSpro and a D3 10.5, and a good running 9turn brushed 540 motor?

In 10th scale 2wd buggy or truck the 35A 13T could probably please some kid who only has $50-60 to spend, and last quite longer than any comparable brushed setup.
But anyone looking for a little power and smoothness knows to get at least 60A and a true 540 size brushless motor. I promise you your cars would work just fine. Not really a big deal since it sounds like what you have works for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

Thats a pretty odd comparison in my opinion. The 35A EZrun combos with the 380 size motor uses heatsinks to fill a 540 size mount, compared to an RSpro and a D3 10.5, and a good running 9turn brushed 540 motor?

In 10th scale 2wd buggy or truck the 35A 13T could probably please some kid who only has $50-60 to spend, and last quite longer than any comparable brushed setup.
But anyone looking for a little power and smoothness knows to get at least 60A and a true 540 size brushless motor. I promise you your cars would work just fine. Not really a big deal since it sounds like what you have works for you.
You're absolutely right, but you have to remember; the people comparing brands like Tekin and Novak and LRP to Hobbywing are the Hobbywing owners.

There is nothing wrong with a Hobbywing setup, but to say that Tekin, LRP, Novak, Castle, Viper, etc are overpriced simply because they're "more expensive" and Joe Blow honestly, truly believes that they are all made in the same factory is simply bunk.

Again, ThunderbirdJunkie has nothing against Hobbywing, but let's look at the facts here.

He can buy a Hobbywing XErun system with a 10.5 for what, $100?
He can spend another 50% and get a Novak Havoc 3S system. One made in the USA, not some communist country (nothing against China, but ThunderbirdJunkie prefers to buy things from companies that are based in countries that aren't known for human rights violations)
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

You're absolutely right, but you have to remember; the people comparing brands like Tekin and Novak and LRP to Hobbywing are the Hobbywing owners.

There is nothing wrong with a Hobbywing setup, but to say that Tekin, LRP, Novak, Castle, Viper, etc are overpriced simply because they're "more expensive" and Joe Blow honestly, truly believes that they are all made in the same factory is simply bunk.

Again, ThunderbirdJunkie has nothing against Hobbywing, but let's look at the facts here.

He can buy a Hobbywing XErun system with a 10.5 for what, $100?
He can spend another 50% and get a Novak Havoc 3S system. One made in the USA, not some communist country (nothing against China, but ThunderbirdJunkie prefers to buy things from companies that are based in countries that aren't known for human rights violations)
I'm not a fan of the 35amp esc and finned motors from hw. Only $20 more for full 540 motor and a 60amp esc versions. I don't know why someone will say they are built in the same factory as the higher end stuff, i cracked up laughing when I heard that.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
burnineyes

I am going on 3 years of using Hobbywing equipment. I have owned and raced with RSpros, Mamba Max Pros, Havoks, and several other ESCs and have slowly sold everything off but my Hobbywing stuff because it is the cream of the crop in my stable. I race with drivers who are better than me and some who are not, and everyone drives what brand they like. I dont have as much trouble with my stuff as I did before and I compete just as well as always. I could care less about a crappy warranty if I never even think about it.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Zacoriah14

I'm just getting back into the hobby. recently purchased a T4.1 rtr brushed and ready to get a brushless system of my choice. I'm looking for less torque cuz of the loose gravel I'm running on.  want something close to the 50mph range without shortening the motor life with crazy gearing. can a 3900kv do this or should I seek a system above 3900kv? btw this is a one time buy for this vehicle and I would like an esc that can handle the 3S lipo eventually. Any suggestions on a system with 3S capability?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Zacoriah14

I'm just getting back into the hobby. recently purchased a T4.1 rtr brushed and ready to get a brushless system of my choice. I'm looking for less torque cuz of the loose gravel I'm running on. want something close to the 50mph range without shortening the motor life with crazy gearing. can a 3900kv do this or should I seek a system above 3900kv? btw this is a one time buy for this vehicle and I would like an esc that can handle the 3S lipo eventually. Any suggestions on a system with 3S capability?
Novak Havoc 3S/13.5 combo.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM
savagecommander

BTW, a coreless motor has a hollow armature that's wound around something, and that something is removed, and is generally DC, when we're discussing normal hobby type stuff. A typical RC car brushless motor is not, however, brushless, as evidenced by the grotesquely heavy rotor. Brushless motors are also 3 phase, which precludes them from being a typical hobby-type coreless motor like you'd find in the tail of a mini heli like the Blade MCPX or the Novus 125FP.
Just as i suspected....

Gentlemen, enjoy your discussion.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

Just as i suspected....

Gentlemen, enjoy your discussion.
If ThunderbirdJunkie is wrong, grow a pair and say so and tell him how he's wrong. ThunderbirdJunkie is a big boy, he can take it.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

Well just to add I had a hobbywing 35a esc and tacon motor in my b4.1 (before I sold the roller) and on my t4.1 and I raced it at my track with no issues, some even 10min+/- or so runs on it, and the motor never reached above 150 and esc if I remember correctly never got above 120....... Even when bashing with it on my t4.1 and long speed runs I never had any overheat issues...... Which isn't bad for a $50 dollar combo IMO........ However I do like my castle setups better mainly due to customer support and warranty, and yes my sct 3800kv combo performs better then the hobbywing/tacon setup and was only 30 bucks more and its backed with a 1yr warranty which the other combo offers no warranty...... So those are my main reasons for sticking with castle and paying more... Just my .02
Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
NOVAMEGA

My only problem with hobbywing stuff is there crappy termal tape under the heatsink . My newest esc was runnin very cool... well to cool . After a hard 3s run 95*f . I know the sc8 is a good esc but not that good . So when I had a look under the heatsink the tape wasnt even making contact . So I added some pc termal compound and my next run the temp was 125*f . Now we was Rollin right . I'm almost sure that wouldn't have happened with highend gear ........ Now motors...... IMO the cheap stuff has gottin so good over the last few years that there for all great . I just hope that the cheap stuff drives comp between motor manufactures to keep rollin out better and better stuff to justify there prices ....... I don't mind dropping $120 on a motor ,but it better run better then my $70.00 dollar motor .
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Very well said, NOVAMEGA.