Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

replacing motor bushings with bearings

I have a lot of used vintage motors coming my way, and would like to know if it is feasible to replace stock bushings in a motor with bearings. If so, are they all the same size? I have seen 1/8x3/8 bearings online for motors, but am unsure whether these are universal or not. any help out there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: replacing motor bushings with bearings

it kinda depends on the motor. some of the more expencive ones had bushings that come out fairly easy and can be replaced with a bearing of the same size but then agian some of the cheaper motors have there bushings pressed in and are not ment to be replaced so there not as easy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, they are 4 kyosho le mans 360st's, which I know have bushings (not sure of condition) and 4 lightspeed stock motors (which I know absolutely zero about). I am assuming that they were used for racing, so they may need a little TLC. Hopefully some new brushes and/or springs and they will be good as new...fingers crossing....or else I'll put them up for sale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most of the time bushings can be knocked out without much trouble. But replacement motor bearings can cost a ton. They'll either be 1/8x3/8 or 3x7(or 8 I can't remember) x3 metric usually for a 540 size motor.

edit: when pressing in new bearings ALWAYS press on the outer race of the bearing. Motor builders have a special tool for this. You'll have to be creative to find what works for you. I've used a 1/4" drive socket with a 3 or 6 inch extension to hammer new bearings into old motor cans/endbells. But the magnets in the can make it difficult to hold anything metal in one place for long enough to put a good hit on it with the hammer.
    *Compact battery box is waterproof against dust!
    Rustler, Slash, TA03F, 4Tec, Evader, X-Crawler, Cx3 heli, more?...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

awesome-I'll have to perform so exploratory surgery on them when they get here.....taking forever to get shipped! hey....would a piece of a dowel work? not as tough, but much less magnetic!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wouldn't use wood. Wood will deform and put pressure on the inner race of the bearing which may ruin the surface of the races or the balls inside. Then the bearing will pretty much be no good.
    *Compact battery box is waterproof against dust!
    Rustler, Slash, TA03F, 4Tec, Evader, X-Crawler, Cx3 heli, more?...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use a plastic dowel too install motor bearings never hurts them!!