Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

2.2 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.2 tires

I am going to buy some 2.2 wheels for my Rustler,which -that some of you might have noticed- i have converted/stretched to Slash-wheelbase.I saw this Baja Bug on the Traxxasforum:

and fell a bit in love with this wheels as they are simple and clean and not too "modern looking".

This has maybe not so much to do with this,but where can i find info about the outer diameter on 2.2 inch tires? And the width,is it the same,for example;if i buy some 2.2 rims,can i just buy a set of 2.2 tires and it will fit nicely without being to wide or too narrow? Thinking about Anacondas as i am going to use it mostly on asphalt and similar,but yell out if there are some more versatile to both asphalt and offroad use.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.2 tires

Well, as long as they are truck 2.2" tires and wheels, you don't have to worry about the width etc. They are all pretty much standard.

Also, the outer diameter of 2.2" is usually going to be the same as the 2.8".....unless they happen to be low profile street tires, then those might be a tad smaller.

For overall street and dirt use, Proline Dirt Hawgz, or Dirt Pawz seem to last a good long time and have great traction.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Lars from Norway

So [link=http://www.prolineracing.com/products/Dirt_Hawg_I_2_2_M2_All_Terrain_Buggy_Rear_Tires-9-37.html]Dirt Hawg[/link] or [link=http://www.prolineracing.com/products/Dirt_Paw_2_2_All_Terrain_Truck_Tires-2-93.html]Dirt Paw[/link] are the tires to use?I think i maybe will go for the Dirt Hawgs as they seems a bit more "asphalt" than the Paws,but still can take some offroad abuse.

Thank tou very much for explaining and recommendations!It helped me a lot.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I think you'd want the [link=http://www.prolineracing.com/products/Dirt_Hawg_II_2_2_All_Terrain_Truck_Tires-8-93.html]1/10 truck dirt hawgs[/link], not the buggy ones you linked
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Lars from Norway

Of course i do,thank you a lot for pointing this outA bit confused here as i am mostly used to the 1/5 scale stuffBy the way,does the buggy tires look wider than the truck tires?Or is it just the rim that is narrower on the picture?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

the truck tires are wider, and stay away from the buggy dirt hawgs the truck ones i've heard great things about but the buggies the blocks are too big/close so they don't grip very well

the lug
Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
genitor

I've great experience on and off road with these hpi yokohama geolanders
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEXA3&P=ML

The dirt paws are great for grass and some dirt but terrible for onroad use.

Oh and if you are worried about the size, tower usually gives the dimensions for their tires so you know exactly what you are buying.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Lars from Norway

Yes,i discovered here the other day when i searched Towers site that it is like an oracle when it comes to this,and the size of the wheels are by the way perfect[8D]Going to buy them here in Norway,so i will check out the Geolanders if i find them.I have found -and bookmarked,hehe- the Dirt Hawgs

Thanks a lot for helping me out here
Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Lars from Norway

I got my rims and tires today, i ordered the TRX # 1974-wheels, which is the "fronts" shown on the Baja in the first post. BUT, they have no hexes! I found out that these rims are designed for the [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/nsportse/trx_nsport.htm]Nitro Sport SE[/link], and this uses solid axles with bearings in the rim instead of bearings in the steering knuckles and rotating axles. I cant quite understand how he can use these rims at the rear as there are no hexes on them. So now i decided to just make some "bearings" -or more like a spacer- in my lathe and screw them on as if they had hexes as the Rustler use, and buy the TRX# 1972-rims which have the 12 mm hexes to use at the rear. Maybe i will buy the rears to use at the front too.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM
genitor

The traxxas electric fronts (for the stampede, rustler, bandit) have 12mm hex. The traxxas nitro fronts use the bearings.
Note also that the fronts and rears have different offsets.
I had the same problem you had, now i have a bunch of useless wheels knocking around.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

just use bearings in the wheel and the hub

i run them on my srt, they are good cheapo rims for my non-race tires.

ues rears all around since the slash is [roughly] the same offset all around?

on the note of tires. gladiator 2's are one of the best basher/multi-use tire on the market imo
Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Lars from Norway

I guess i have done to little investigation before i ordered And the webshop from which i ordered the rims didn't say anything about this being for electric or nitro. Darn, this was annoying to hear! So -as i understand- it is nitro-rims i have received today, right genitor? And yes, i am aware of the different offsets. But as they are so cheap it doesnt matter that much!

Thanks for enlightning me about this genitor!

Fiero; i went for the HPI Geolanders. I just make some bushings for the rims if i am going to use them, it is too much having 4 bearings for each wheel
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
DCooper

I'm using the proline gladiator 2's rear and Edge 2.2 front. I run them on HPI #2140 super star black spoke wheels.

They look like this.
http://www.ehobbies.com/hpi2140.html...mpaign=froogle

It gives the back a wider stance than the front but it handles better than the stock bow ties and stock fronts.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
genitor

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

I guess i have done to little investigation before i ordered And the webshop from which i ordered the rims didn't say anything about this being for electric or nitro. Darn, this was annoying to hear! So -as i understand- it is nitro-rims i have received today, right genitor? And yes, i am aware of the different offsets. But as they are so cheap it doesnt matter that much!

Thanks for enlightning me about this genitor!

Fiero; i went for the HPI Geolanders. I just make some bushings for the rims if i am going to use them, it is too much having 4 bearings for each wheel
Yep, those are the front wheels for traxxas nitro vehicles.
The geolanders are a great choice, i have them and they do great on most surfaces. They do balloon under brushless power but if you strap the insides with duct tape it virtually eliminates ballooning.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

it is too much having 4 bearings for each wheel
nah

more = better
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: genitor
Yep, those are the front wheels for traxxas nitro vehicles.
The geolanders are a great choice, i have them and they do great on most surfaces. They do balloon under brushless power but if you strap the insides with duct tape it virtually eliminates ballooning.
I was going to ask about that! So basically you just put tape on the inside of the tire? Will it help to tape the outside of the inner foams aswell? When i ordered the rims they had only one set in stock, they was going to send the other set to me later on. But i called them today and made them send a set of rear rims to me, and not another hex-less front-set of rims And best of all, they were in stock, so no waiting! So no i'll just make some bushings in my lathe and put the hex-less rims on the front.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
genitor

That's great that you got you order changed.
Yeah you just flip the tires inside out and tape down the middle with duct tape. Make sure you have about 3/4 inch overlap where the ends meet.
Taping the tires alone is enough, you don't have to tape the foams.
Here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BO-dfYz4Rw
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Lars from Norway

Again;thanks a lot!!

I didnt even think about flip them inside out, haha! Makes it ten times easier to put the tape on. That is just a major difference in taped and not taped[X(]
Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Lars from Norway

I got my rims and tires today, i ordered the TRX # 1974-wheels, which is the ''fronts'' shown on the Baja in the first post. BUT, they have no hexes! I found out that these rims are designed for the [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/nsportse/trx_nsport.htm]Nitro Sport SE[/link], and this uses solid axles with bearings in the rim instead of bearings in the steering knuckles and rotating axles. I cant quite understand how he can use these rims at the rear as there are no hexes on them. So now i decided to just make some ''bearings'' -or more like a spacer- in my lathe and screw them on as if they had hexes as the Rustler use, and buy the TRX# 1972-rims which have the 12 mm hexes to use at the rear. Maybe i will buy the rears to use at the front too.
Well, here is what i did; i just made a bushing where the outer bearing is supposed to be, and on the hex i machined it down to 11 mm so i just put it in the rim where the inner bearing is supposed to be. Easy fix! And today i got the rims today! Wow, it only took 21 hours from when i called them and changed the order until it was in my mailbox. That is what i call fast.

By the way, the TRX # 1972-rims are as deep dished as the 1974's are, i thought they would have been shallower in the dish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32232.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1387111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66209.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1387112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31479.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.1 KB