Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Burnt 2 Reedy's and 2 XP ESC's, . . . WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burnt 2 Reedy's and 2 XP ESC's, . . . WTH?

Hey, Anyone heard of this crazy thing I've been going through? So far I've owned my SC10 about 2 months and it's seen and indoor track maybe 4 times. Each time I set it on the track something goes wrong. First it was the ESC. Then it was the motor. Sent the ESC to Associated through the local hobby shop. While I did that I called and had another motor sent to me. Before I got the replacement ESC I burnt the 2nd motor. And I didn't even have it in the truck for 5 minutes. Got a third motor and I'm not installing it. Was buzzing around Monday the 7th and everything was good. Turned it on today and i got nothing. I tried resetting the ESC a bunch of times and nothing. I put in a Novak ESC and turned it on and it and everything was fine.
So as of today I've burnt 2 motors and 2 esc's. This truck has hardly even seen the track. Any one else heard of this many bad motor's and ESC's? At first I was told the earlier trucks had a few problems but this is ridiculous!! Are they sending me bad parts??????

Associated. . . . . What's the problem?? Better get your stuff together.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Willystylz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burnt 2 Reedy's and 2 XP ESC's, . . . WTH?

Weird stuff. Unlucky, maybe. Coincidence, who knows?

First I've heard of anyone with continuous problems with LRP stuff. All I run in my rc's is LRP, and no problems at all other than user error and a first-gen rotor falling apart a few years back.

Are you running everything within the recommended parameters of the electronics (voltage, gearing, temps, etc.)??
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Willystylz

oops just realized you're talking about the stock electronics in the RTR SC10. I've heard of a few problems, but I've no experience with it first hand.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Im assuming its the Reedy Radon 17t motor, correct?

I bought one at the LHS for my stampede. It burnt up in no time. So I got it warrantied and i installed the new one. It also worked for about 5 battery packs before it had enough and wouldnt work anymore either. I never called them back to get this one warrantied, but if I do, It will just be so that I can sell it. They are junk motors IMO. Just horrible quality.

Eric
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
bigblock454XXL

Right. The reason I ask this is because at my local track they run about 18-25 Short course trucks on any Saturday and I watched these trucks for about a month before I bought one. All the guys say they bought one, put a battery in and ran it. I'm talking about SC10, Blitz, Strike and Slash. No problems with any of them. So I finally bought one and it just will not stay running. There was one other guy had a Stock ESC burn up in a SC10, but that was it. He got another and has been good to go ever since. Mine. . ? . . . . Still having trouble. Right now I have a Novak Tempest PRO ESC and a HPI Firebolt 15 Turn. It runs great with that set up. IDK. But I'm quite dissappointed. I'd rather get rid of the truck all together and get a Strike, I can bind it to my DX3S.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58548.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1395306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91584.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1395307  
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Ehhh, id stay away from the strike. You can buy a Blitz setup that someone has taken off for probably $30-40 and be good to go for a good while(or run the combo you are running). You will have lots more problems than the electronics if you go with the Strike IMO. Get your ESC and motor warrantied, sell them new as a set, and then buy something better.

Eric
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
hasek1616

yeah the strike isnt very recommenedable, the blitz isnt bad but if you set up the slash right its pretty good, did a 4x4 ever cross your mind, i own a slash 2wd and 4wd and the 4wd blows any sc truck ive ever driven away, plus its brushless and 2.4 ghz stock
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: bigblock454XXL

Right. The reason I ask this is because at my local track they run about 18-25 Short course trucks on any Saturday and I watched these trucks for about a month before I bought one. All the guys say they bought one, put a battery in and ran it. I'm talking about SC10, Blitz, Strike and Slash. No problems with any of them. So I finally bought one and it just will not stay running. There was one other guy had a Stock ESC burn up in a SC10, but that was it. He got another and has been good to go ever since. Mine. . ? . . . . Still having trouble. Right now I have a Novak Tempest PRO ESC and a HPI Firebolt 15 Turn. It runs great with that set up. IDK. But I'm quite dissappointed. I'd rather get rid of the truck all together and get a Strike, I can bind it to my DX3S.
Uh, you don't want a Strike-it sucks.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
bigblock454XXL

So . . . . A Blitz then?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
black mamba

For 2WD I'd get a Blitz...but I'm biased. lol. For 4WD, I'd get the Slash 4WD....but again, I'm biased towards HPI so I'd wait for HPI's 4WD Blitz to come out.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Just asking, but why would you get a different chassis, when the electronics are your problem? You've got a good, if older, Novak ESC in there now, just run the current setup and see what happens. No sense throwing the baby out with the bathwater.