Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Razdawg's Gravel Hound, Mad Bull question Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Razdawg's Gravel Hound, Mad Bull question Thread.

Official threads are usually good places to find info(including how it runs).
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88..._1/key_/tm.htm
Myself, I've heard that it works very well offroad, however I don't own one.[]
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Razdawg

Well...looks like I have a Gravel Hound on it's way.

Not what I originally had in mind but I think I got a good deal, lots of work already done on it...will probably still get another Tamiya.

Wondering if a Fire Dragon body would fit the GH?

Here is a pic of what the mailman is bringing me...hope it is as good as advertised.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62040.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1413051  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it fits perfect. All you need is the Hornet body mounts. The holes in the body even line up.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Razdawg

Thanks John01374...I don't mind the normal body for the 'Hound but I think the Fire Dragon body is way more eye catching.

Well got it today and charged up the battery....one problem...

when giving it throttle it stall or chugs. I can't pull the trigger all the way only about half and it will go about half speed.

Battery issue? ESC issue? Radio issue?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Razdawg

Well...looks like I have a Gravel Hound on it's way.

Not what I originally had in mind but I think I got a good deal, lots of work already done on it...will probably still get another Tamiya.

Wondering if a Fire Dragon body would fit the GH?

Here is a pic of what the mailman is bringing me...hope it is as good as advertised.

how much you pay cause there's decent amount of upgrades on it from what I can see
just hope the guy got better shocks cause the stock ones BLOW or I should say bend extremely easy, one of the few things that bends easier than the stock DF-02 shocks is origami paper.
of if you want to keep the stock shocks you could get new rods. I know for the front ones HPI 6807's work (I have them in mine) off a RS4. I forgot what I used in my rears
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

how much you pay cause there's decent amount of upgrades on it from what I can see
just hope the guy got better shocks cause the stock ones BLOW or I should say bend extremely easy, one of the few things that bends easier than the stock DF-02 shocks is origami paper.
of if you want to keep the stock shocks you could get new rods. I know for the front ones HPI 6807's work (I have them in mine) off a RS4. I forgot what I used in my rears
In another thread, it was determined that it wasn't the shafts that were the problem as much as the pistons. The stock pistons fit VERY loosely in the shock bores, so the shafts aren't held very straight which in turn causes the bending. A new set of better fitting pistons should fix the bending.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM
The Mad Modder

Thanks John01374...I don't mind the normal body for the 'Hound but I think the Fire Dragon body is way more eye catching.

when giving it throttle it stall or chugs. I can't pull the trigger all the way only about half and it will go about half speed.

Sounds like a low battery to me. If the battery has been sitting for a while it may need to be cycled a few times before it holds a charge well. If even after several cycles, the battery is getting no better, you may need a new battery. What electronics are you using?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 AM
john01374

Raz - Sorry I gave you some bad info.. I don't know if the Fire dragon will fit the Gravel Hound. When I read your last post I saw "GH" and I was thinking GrassHopper. Sorry about the confusion..

Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Razdawg

Syco - paid right around $100 shipped...might be a bit high..not sure.
Here is what the seller said:
Car upgrades

* Alloy A-arms

* Alloy Steering Knuckles

* Alloy Ball bearing steering bell crank

* Alloy Motor mount

* Full Ball bearings

* Four oil shocks

* Tamiya sport tuned motor

* Blue motor heat sink
Looks like the shock issue has already been addressed?

Modder - Charging the battery again...going to leave it on for longer. Never used an astroflight 114d charger. Good thing is the previous owner put Dean's on everything! The other electronics are Tamiya (stock as this was an expert built R2R) radio = Expec ttu 03 and ESC = teu 101bk.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Razdawg

Not a problem John...might just have to "make it fit".

Well left the battery on for much longer and got MUCH better performance!!!

BTW, is there a way to change the thread title.....I would like to use it to discuss the Gravel Hound?

How much alloy is to much....need to not by every part I see...heh heh heh.

JDT - you say you have good luck ordering parts from Japan?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

alloy shocks off the evader (at least I think its the evader) are a direct fit there on tower for $15 a pair
and the stock shocks are oil shocks the pic they kinda look stock

get the alum shock towers the plastic ones kinda crack from flexing
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Razdawg

double post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Razdawg

Well I have figured out how to use the charger included with my Gravel Hound and have had some serious fun with it so far! I am reading as much as I can as too not annoy people with silly questions....heh

Oh and if the 'Hound wasn't enough......got a used Mad Bull on it's way.....damn I hate how easy auction sites make it to spend money.......

Was looking at some alloy shock towers....does anyone have good experience with Yeah Racing parts?

J.D.T. - you still have that chassis for sale?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
J.D.T

Well I have figured out how to use the charger included with my Gravel Hound and have had some serious fun with it so far! I am reading as much as I can as too not annoy people with silly questions....heh

Oh and if the 'Hound wasn't enough......got a used Mad Bull on it's way.....damn I hate how easy auction sites make it to spend money.......

Was looking at some alloy shock towers....does anyone have good experience with Yeah Racing parts?

J.D.T. - you still have that chassis for sale?
Sure, I got at least 3 left New in package, $6 should do it, I work downtown monday to friday, live on the southside of dm let me know if you are interested, I'll try and watch the thread but you can private message me also.
Yeah makes two different styles of front shock towers, some are solid some have a triangle shaped hole in the upright part that makes them weaker, here you can see the solid style it looks a little funny as I got the square carbon fibre one bolted to the front of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75610.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1416709  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
J.D.T

the one shown on dinball is the older style with the holes in it, like the gpm much weaker, I may still have an extra on the solid one, I'll check around, $10 would probably do it on that as I have had zero problems since going to the "double" one and my test mule car has one I hacked out of 5 mm aluminum so it won't ever bend or break.
As far as the rear goes the stock piece is better than the aluminum pieces unless you order two and double them up then they are tougher than the stock one but don't offer as much flex so it has a tendency to tear the top off the diff case, if you plan on running another body that will protect the tower better you will probably never have any problems with the stock rear, the truck body I use has kept the same one on my car for quite a while, I mainly only had problems when it would get flipped upside down sliding backwards on its roof
Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Razdawg

J.D.T. - we will defintely have to get something worked out about those parts. Ill send you a PM after I recover from my latest spending spree.

Gravel Hound - any suggestions on how to fit a rally type body to this chassis? I figure if the DF03ra is a take on a buggy chassis it shouldn't be too different than the df02?

Mad Bull - Got a Tazer 15t esc to drop in it, any suggestions on a motor?

Next up on my Tamiya hitlist - Clodbuster or on-road car (tt01?)....trying to collect one of every type of R/C all the sudden...heh heh heh
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 AM
john01374

Raz - My Bull is still running the stock silver can but I have a 12T titan sitting here all broken in and ready to go. From my experience with Hornet to truck conversions I know I can run LunchBox wheels and tires and use the titan or S-600 with the stock 18T pinion and not over heat with the Hornet gearbox.

My plan is to put the Titan in the Bull with a 19T pinion (make sure it's metric) and see how that goes. If she gets too hot i can always back down to the 17Tooth or try the S-600. I'm thinking it'll work but I don't know what the Bull's trans ratios are or how they compare to the Hornet so it's really a guess but an educated one...

Both motors will run fine on a 15T ESC but I have had mixed results with Tazers. One was great the other was not.

As for you next car... The Clod is a big old truck that is awesome to build, paint etc but it gets boring QUICK... I'd say go onroad or rally. You can get a tough TL-01 chassis car for $50 or so if you watch the Bay. There super strong chassis's and you can do almost anything you want to them. I've done more than a couple rally conversions and you can make them a buggy by using TL-01B arms and shafts.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Razdawg

Thinking about getting a mild brushless set up for the DF02.
Is the VXL system ok? I have also seen the ezrun 60 discussed.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ez-run 60 will be way more than it needs. I'd get a 13.5t combo if you can find em I think the 8.5ts would be too much for it
VXL is pure overkill

Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Razdawg

Syco: Something like this ->[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/XERUN-1-10-Car-Brushless-system-V2-0-13-5T-COMBO-X10-/250642289277?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5b71d27d]13.5t[/link]

I was looking at the VXL due to the waterproof ESC and better availability in the US.....
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'm guessing that would work you will probably have to get the alloy cups and the CVD's to take the extra power the BL puts out, cause I'm sure the plastics will break off fast. Hopfully one of the guys that slapped the BL set up in already will chime in(think J.D.T has one, and knows the parts needed).

BTW the xerun is sensored if you want the sensorless its around $90 and available from hobbypartz.com (weird they don't have a 13.5t combo but sell them separately)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 9t 35amp ezrun is more than enough for my df01 4wd dirt thrasher, and i blow away vxl's all day, 4wd wheelies too lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Razdawg

Being that this will be my first "advanced" motor system...are the ezrun's newb friendly? I am not looking for super insane speed, just a good up grade from the stock motor.

Syco: So I want to look for sensorless systems?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sensorless is cheaper pretty much
in a buggy you won't see a huge difference in sensorless or sensored IMO (only at very extremely low speeds you would notice the difference)
Old 06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
J.D.T

I like the mamba systems but have seen plenty of guys use the ez run systems in the df 02, the 13.5 is a little slow kv wise so I would go for the 8.5 or 10.5 combo in 4000 or 3200 kv respectively. The 10.5 would be great for 3s running if you get bored with six cells or 2s, if you plan on only running 2s or 6-7 cells then there should be no problem with the 8.5. The 60 amp esc is cheap enough I would get it over the 35 amp version for sure however the ez runs prices are now creaping into mamba territory.
Bishop Power Products has the mamba combos for $155, the 4600 is really the only one I like in the df 02, my 5700 runs a little to hot
bishop also has the mm sidewinder combo at $119.95, the sidewinder esc alone is $60 so you could always get that and run a vxl motor(the motor is waaay better than the esc IMO)

http://www.b-p-p.com/home.php?cat=48

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.