Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Wow Well This is Just Great

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow Well This is Just Great

Here recently, I found out that my stepdad didn't want his rustler, so I inherited it lol. Well the chassis (upper and lower) needs to be replaced and ir needs a new body. This friday, my mom is going to Get me the chassis, a body, and paints so I can have a fixed chassis, and finally get to use my airbrush to paint a body! Next I planned on putting in a Velineon system and some offroad tires.

I really want something to run on the track. If I could fix this Rustler up, I figured could run it on the track. I figure it'd be great in the ST class and be super fun!!

Well my ideas just got shot down. I was reading through a thread and people were saying how they didn't like when noobs came out onto the track with crappy Traxxas trucks and got in the way of the real racers like the 8th scale buggies and truggies. I've always loved racing but I don't have the money for a racer. I have to make due with what I have and unfortunately what I have is what no one wants at the track. Looks like I won't be spending some days during the summer at the track []
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Wow Well This is Just Great

thats pretty lame that they're shooting you down cuz you're new, its true the traxxas isn't a racer, even tho on the box it says "ready to race" total BS no lie there but you're trying to have fun with the hobby and with what you have, and i give you a ton of credit, the guys at your track are being jerks, i say get a 5T and run over their 1/8 buggy , i'd just run anyways, and if they get all whiny tuff, its an open track, if you have to pay your dues pay them you have as much of a right to run as those guys, and try to enter into the lowest level class you can with your rustler and do the best you can with it, just cuz its not ready to race, doesn't mean you can't race it, yes a T4 will be better for you but the fact still stands you're at the track racing, as opposed to at home feeling sorry for yourself

the lug
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
gelbschnee

take it to race anyway...my lhs recommends traxxas as a first truck over the t4...just for the learning experience. just think, if you can learn to drive your rustler well on the track, just wait until you get that t4...or kyosho...or whatever st it is and it will be even better. Don't think that you are gimped because your first rc car isnt top of the line pro racing carbon fiber blah blah whatever...go to the track and enjoy racing and if the folks there have any brains or maturity they will welcome you and cheer you on.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
supamagician

Yeah I kind of agree with you. Although not all people are jerks...I'm not nescessarily new (I still have alot to learn) but I've learned alot thanks to a pro racer I met (Roger Ayres). He taught me alot, and I have gone to the track with him numerous times whether to learn stuff or even one time I helped him, a few other pro's, and the track owner build up a track. Hell back when I had my E-Firestorm he gave me a 130$ LRP ESC because mine fried and I didn't have money to replace.

One thing I don't agree with though is that the Rustler isn't a racer. I believe that ANY truck can be a racer. You just have to know what to upgrade, and what to tune.

It's the same with bowling. If a bowling ball isn't hooking up enough for me, I'll sand it down to give it more bite to hook more. On the other hand, if it is hooking to much, I'll polish it up to make it do the opposite. Or, I can just move and adjust to get the correct reaction out of the ball. It's not always the ball....It's usually the bowler.

This, I believe, applies to RC racing as well
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM
supamagician

It just sucks that no one wants my truck on the track

And also, this isn't my first RC. I've had an E-Firestorm, a Slash, a Vendetta ST (now) and a Micro T (now also)

I got rid of the firestorm for the slash. that was back when no one was racing them when they first came out. so then I traded that for a brushless Vendetta ST which I was going to race on a 1/18 track that was supposed to be built but never did...........and now I have the rustler.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: supamagician

And also, this isn't my first RC. I've had an E-Firestorm, a Slash, a Vendetta ST (now) and a Micro T (now also)

I got rid of the firestorm for the slash. that was back when no one was racing them when they first came out. so then I traded that for a brushless Vendetta ST which I was going to race on a 1/18 track that was supposed to be built but never did...........and now I have the rustler.
screw them I'd go anyways
Hell I'm thinking of goin to the track this week with a BL Jammin .5 crt, a Tamiya DF-02 running on the silver can, and a E-converted Nitro MT1(as backup in-case the jammin breaks)
trust me the DF-02 will probably be laughed at and I can care less if they don't like it they can pay me to leave(which would have to be more than the entrance fee I pay to go in) otherwise they can screw off
Its your truck now take pride in it and if people don't like it they can goto hell IMO
hell go get a cheap ass piece of junk and take it here as a joke to royally piss them off
Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
supamagician

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

screw them I'd go anyways
Hell I'm thinking of goin to the track this week with a BL Jammin .5 crt, a Tamiya DF-02 running on the silver can, and a E-converted Nitro MT1(as backup in-case the jammin breaks)
trust me the DF-02 will probably be laughed at and I can care less if they don't like it they can pay me to leave(which would have to be more than the entrance fee I pay to go in) otherwise they can screw off
Its your truck now take pride in it and if people don't like it they can goto hell IMO
hell go get a cheap ass piece of junk and take it here as a joke to royally piss them off
Yeah you guys are right.

Hahaha I could picture one of those tyco trucks where the wheels are so big that even if its upside down you can still drive......I could see that running around the track!!! hahahaha

That would piss some people off. well besides the track marshals
Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
ludeman

Yeah go anyway thats what me and my son do. Last time we went we were running the Rustler and Slash 2wd on a sunday and nobody was there. Try to get there early or late or maybe on a day that they dont seem to be a lot of 1/8 nitros out. It is sad that some of those 1/8 guys can get an eliteist attitude.
But hey its not a private track so rock on and just have fun and learn.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 AM
gulfstreamI

Yeah you guys are right.

Hahaha I could picture one of those tyco trucks where the wheels are so big that even if its upside down you can still drive......I could see that running around the track!!! hahahaha

LOL....[sm=lol.gif]

What would really piss of those hard core drivers and track marshals at the track is to drive one of those Dodge Raminator 1/8 scale electric truck that were sold by Costco and B.J.'s wholesale outlets a few years back. Those trucks are huge but super slowwww.... They have this SPX with the engine revving from an onboard speaker.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yeah you guys are right.

makes me wonder if my cousin still has his laying around in his attic that sucker too a insane beating from us and still worked (I mean we drove it down 50 stairs into concrete type beating)

and why would the marshals get pissed not like they would ever have to flip it over
I could imagine anyone using am radios being mad seeing the tycos were not known for their precision 27mhz radios and it would probably screw all the bands up

and gulfstreamI your suggestion made me laugh makes me want to get a cheap engine revving junk toy rip out its board and hook it to a switch driven by a servo on chan 3 of my remote to give my RC the same realistic sounds
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
supamagician

Hahahahahahaha this thread just gets funnier
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Id race it for sure. If nothing else, just to make the people who think they have all the high dollar stuff and more rights to the track than you do mad Im just that kinda guy though.

Honestly, if you get good at driving, you can probably do good with a rustler. Most people cant drive, and then blame their equipment. Thats very rarely the case. Go out and have fun, and if they start talking crap about your rustler, just start running into them. Since the rustler is probably the strongest stadium truck out there, you will be able to effectively but their A-Arms, etc, and they wont be talking crap about your traxxas anymore.

Eric
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
searlesy

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Id race it for sure. If nothing else, just to make the people who think they have all the high dollar stuff and more rights to the track than you do mad Im just that kinda guy though.

Honestly, if you get good at driving, you can probably do good with a rustler. Most people cant drive, and then blame their equipment. Thats very rarely the case. Go out and have fun, and if they start talking crap about your rustler, just start running into them. Since the rustler is probably the strongest stadium truck out there, you will be able to effectively but their A-Arms, etc, and they wont be talking crap about your traxxas anymore.

Eric
Im with you! Ithink Iwould use my snowboarding philosophy.... speed and momentum are a perfectly good substitute for precision and skill

Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here recently, I found out that my stepdad didn't want his rustler, so I inherited it lol. Well the chassis (upper and lower) needs to be replaced and ir needs a new body. This friday, my mom is going to Get me the chassis, a body, and paints so I can have a fixed chassis, and finally get to use my airbrush to paint a body! Next I planned on putting in a Velineon system and some offroad tires.

I really want something to run on the track. If I could fix this Rustler up, I figured could run it on the track. I figure it'd be great in the ST class and be super fun!!

Well my ideas just got shot down. I was reading through a thread and people were saying how they didn't like when noobs came out onto the track with crappy Traxxas trucks and got in the way of the real racers like the 8th scale buggies and truggies. I've always loved racing but I don't have the money for a racer. I have to make due with what I have and unfortunately what I have is what no one wants at the track. Looks like I won't be spending some days during the summer at the track []

This is the perfect reason to fix up that Rustler and take it to the track. No the Rustler is not a racer out of the box but there is NO reason why it can't race and be competitive. I raced a rusty years ago and still have it. I took it to the local track here last year and had a blast. Granted the tires are hard from years of sitting but that is a simple fix. There where other "races' trucks on the track and I had no problems keeping up. Once I put some new tires on it I'm sure it'll be competitive and I love racing my traxxas stuff. Mostly because everyone says it can't be done.

There is a couple of mods that you should do to make the rusty easier to drive. Do the slash rear arm swap to get some rear toe in and Slash shocks and springs all around help as well. I like my cars to push slightly so I have 50WT oil in the front and 40wt in the rear. Gives the rusty some decent grip in the rear.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Eric
but he would have to make it look like an accident or they would probably whoop his ass if there such elitist asshats to ook down on a rustler (even then they might still seeing they sound royally idiotic)
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM
etaeniura

If anyone gives you a herd time, ask them what the first car they ever raced was. I highly doubt any of them invested a ton of money in their cars before putting in a few laps with a "beginner" type car. And they certainly didn't learn to drive with a thousand dollar setup. Everyone starts somewhere. If you really don't want them to make fun of you, find out what the approximate lap times are for winners in the class you want to run. Then go to the track on "practice" or off days and see what your rustler can do. If it's not even close, see what upgrades you can do, or what driving skills you need to improve it. If you are in the ballpark, get there on race night and drive your little heart out. People that are going to make fun of you have totally lost sight of what r/c cars are all about-having fun, making upgrades, and tinkering with your high-end toy. When all else fails, tell them to f-off.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

at my local track we are really laid back, we'd just throw you in with the short course trucks and have fun driving, that's all be ever do,
Old 03-31-2010, 02:02 PM
etaeniura

Maybe he should just find a track with better people.....or talk to the folks who run it about having a "basher" class or something.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
searlesy

Just a note, I think we may have all blown this out of proportion, correct me if Iam wrong, but my first take on this was that the OPhad read a thread that said this.... in fact, Iremember reading the same thread on here that said exactly the above. Not that all the guys at the local track told him to get lost because of his truck, but that he had read on here that would be the attitude.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Access

I would actually encourage you to just race. Some of the hardcore racers or racing boards might give you the wrong idea. Just put it down on the track and race it. Even if they try to stop you from racing (claiming you are in the wrong class or something stupid like that), run it during practice time. Don't worry too much about classes, skill levels, or what the hardcore racers say. Racing is about skill, it's maybe 10% the vehicle you drive, 60% how you drive it, and 30% your setup. You get to be better by practicing and most of the racers are driving way too much truck for their skill level.

Racing clubs can be a bit wierd / territorial and sometimes you just need to make your own space. When I started in this hobby my local club was split into three factions, a buggy faction, a truck faction, and another faction who just wanted to race and didn't want factions. Every race instead of racing they would all sit around and argue, sometimes by the end of the day they would run one or two races but 80% of the time was spent arguing mundane things like whether the buggies or the trucks got to race first. Eventually the arguments got so out of hand that one side sabotaged the track during the night. It would have required a lot of work to get the track usable again, so after this the club pretty much disbanded. Current day, many years later, the spot where the track was is now heavily overgrown but still makes a pretty good bashing spot.

This general attitude can be common in nearly any hobby and a lot of time it's just about finding the right club or right group of people to hang out with. I've seen it in just about every hobby I've been in. If the track is on public land, don't be afraid to get your own friends together and use the track when they're not using it. If _everyone_ in the club is hostile, either show up with some friends and race with them, or find another club. Many of the better clubs even if they are hardcore will welcome newbies or a 'novice' class b'cos it keeps the club from dying off or stagnating over the long term. The better racing clubs I've been in have had gauranteed mains (including C or even D mains), novice classes, a class for kids under age 12 or so, and so on.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Carpilot

Don't let them them push you around! If the track has descent people they'll welcome you and your truck. If hey give you gaff for running a Traxxas truck then they don't deserve to even have a track!!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manager of one of my LHS's races at a track about half an hour north of me and many times I've heard him talk negatively about the "Traxxas noobs" and how he doesn't like them at the track. Funny thing is if someone comes in looking for a new vehicle he'll try to sell them a Traxxas. I hate that elitist attitude amongst some racers in this hobby. It's all about having fun. When I started 18 years ago I had a hopped up Tamiya Blackfoot and took it to the track. One guy was a complete jerk to me saying I shouldn't run it there, well I did, and I beat him and his RC10T lol.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while its true that most traxxas RC's are better for bashing than racing, that is NO reason not to take it out and race.
i can understand if racers get annoyed when noobs drive like a noob and ruin their race.
so, my advice would be go ahead and race your traxxas, but take it easy the 1st few times out. have fun, but try your best not to hit the other guys.
once they see that you take racing seriously, they wont care what you drive.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If their as good as they THINK they are at racing, you being a noob with a Traxxas should have no effect on them because unless i'm mistaken they think their awesome and have top of the line trucks Boo Hoo, cry me a river a noob is onthe track.

Run your truck at the track and have fun, who gives a crap what some "racer" says. I'd stick my foot up their ***** if they said anything to me about not running my trucks at the track. Just my opinion. They sound like some tools to me, go race your truck and have some fun. Thats what this hobby is about HAVING FUN!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Run your truck at the track and have fun, who gives a crap what some ''racer'' says. I'd stick my foot up their ***** if they said anything to me about not running my trucks at the track. Just my opinion. They sound like some tools to me, go race your truck and have some fun. Thats what this hobby is about HAVING FUN!
Sadly alot of people forget that its meant for fun though, and get lost in the competitiveness of racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.