Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painting up a body!

Here pretty soon I am going to be painting up a body. I need some help.
    FYI I have an airbrush, and a compressor. Just need paint, mask, and a body.

1. What color combo's do you guys think would be cool?
    2. What mask should I use?
    3. If you say liquid mask, please explain how that works.
    4. Should I go ahead and use my airbrush, or rattle cans?
    5. What are some easy but cool looking effects I can do with the airbrush?
    6. Is there anything else you feel I should know?

Thanks,
    Rob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Painting up a body!

I've never understood why people ask what other people think is cool. Are you in the hobby in order to impress people, or have fun for yourself? Pick colors YOU like, screw everyone else! lol

I like green.

Squirrel on youtube has videos on using liquid mask, I've never used it personally.
    If you feel comfortable with your airbrush, use it, if not, use it and you'll be better next time, a bad paint job only lasts as long as the body

DON'T back the paint with none-lexan paint, it makes all the paint chip off like a son of a gun!
    OFNA Jammin CRT.5e, stock sprint 2 drift, Savage Flux (4S), slash (just a roller for now)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you get parma faskolor you can also use brushes for minor details.
    The paint works beautifully with a brush or in a sprayer without having to dilute it or anything. and its a water clean up

and colors its upto you
    pretty much all my bodies are different colors. and every time I get a new body I sit there looking at it and wonder what would look good than go get the paint, then usually try something new out painting style and all.

and liquid mask I hear good things about never tried it personally. I think it will be the next thing I try in painting
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are art-impaired, use a color wheel. Basically it is a pie chart divided in 6 pieces, with the colors opposite of each other complementing each other. essentially, you can't go wrong with purple/yellow, blue/orange, or red green. I like to think if you are doing a two-tone paintjob, you can mix black or white with almost any other color, but contrast will make it more eye-appealing. for example-black and very dark blue together don't really "pop". BUT, black and lighter blue or lighter purple look really good together. The same goes for white. white with lighter colors (yellow, pink, etc.) will not look as good as white with a darker color. Of course there are exceptions to this, and it is all subjective and a matter of opinion.
    What I would do is look around at other cars in the gallery or on other sites, and see what you think looks cool together. As far as effects, it will depend on your airbrush skill. I have personally never used the masks, so I won't comment on them. spend a few bucks on a sheet of lexan and experiment untilyou find what's right.In the end, take your time, choose colors you like, and if you screw it up, bodies aren't hat expensive to try it again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want a cool 90's spattered look, swap the nozzle with a wd40 can so you can use the tube. I just did a body like that a few months ago, spattered some florescent orange on there, then backed it with lime green. I would not advise using liquid mask, it takes forever to dry and is really a pain in the ass. Blue masking tape is better. Mixing candies and transparents can also be really cool. Put a layer of candy yellow down with candy red behind it, then back that with some silver... makes for a really deep, almost wet look.

Here are a few good tips:
    -Use a sharpie to draw your designs on the outside of the body first, then match up your tape on the inside with the markings on the outside. Makes things a lot easier.
    -Body posts. The easiest way is to put the unpainted body on the car, then use a sharpie to mark the location of the posts on the outside of the body. I usually do a rough cut of the body before I paint it.
    -Wash the body with windex before painting, soap can leave traces of oil which can ruin a paint job.
    -DO NOT mix paints made by different manufacturers... sometimes they will act like solvents and destroy an underlying layer of paint.
    -DO NOT leave a body in open sunlight to dry, the paint can dry out and crack, the body can also warp (both of which have happened to me).
    -Applying many light coats is better than a few thick ones. This is a REQUIREMENT when using candies and transparents, but should always be practiced.
    -Store your paints in doors... they go bad really fast when left out in cold or excessively hot temperatures.

That's pretty much what I can remember off the top of my head... I'll add more if I think of any more good ones.
    Her name was Lola. She was a show girl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not to hijack ur thread or anything biut heres my latest...

It is mostly fasblue and white with some spaztix mirror chrome (which I totally messed up on! lol). It is a good exmple of lots of different techniques. I used a fine tipped paint brush to do the lightning then ghosted the bolts with an airbrush. The blue and the mirror chrome were airbrushed as well. I used both masking tape AND Fasmask liquid masking. I am by no means a pro at this stuff but I really like painting. Shoot me a PM if I can help you with anything....

BTW... here is a link to some real pro's. This is probly the best RC painting sight period. Charlie ROCKS!

http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/modules...der=0&start=50
    Dude! I could beat you with a stomper!

TEAM TERRIBLES... RC money is a Terrible thing to waste!
    http://teamterribles.com/