Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My final Traxxas Slash 4x4 review (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
TheJANG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My final Traxxas Slash 4x4 review (videos)

Hi all,

I've been tuning, modifying, converting, and driving the Slash 4x4 pretty consistently for three months now, and have collected my thoughts together in a new two-part video set on YouTube that I can actually call a review:
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Almighty ODST

Default RE: My final Traxxas Slash 4x4 review (videos)

Nice review, I'm rather shocked on how much you stressed the maintenance factor. Kinda disappointing in a sense.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

thanks for the reviews Jang (I like you better than that Squirrel guy)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 AM
TheJANG

Thanks guys.

Almighty ODST:  Yeah in my personal experience, and from following many others' experiences, maintenance really is just that big of a factor with this truck.  If you don't do plenty of it, you risk having an endless string of problems that can make the truck seem like a piece of crap.  If you keep it cleaned up, it will run just fine you just have potential frustration from having to do said maintenance LOL...  Hopefully my driving videos say more about the handling & capabilities of the truck than any amount of my yapping can!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Access

What I thought was interesting was the commentary about racing, basically the less scale, more divergent path that 4x4 SCT racing is taking. On one hand you have companies that try to design the best truck on the track and on the other hand you have companies trying to design a truck that is more faithful to, or handles in a similar way as full size trucks do (putting them at a disadvantage on the track). Are we going to end up with a repeat of the 'slash' and the 'everything else SCT' class for the 4x4s?

And your reviews are good, they seem more honest (vs. an advertisement 'review') than most of the other reviews out there.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
TheJANG

Are we going to end up with a repeat of the 'slash' and the 'everything else SCT' class for the 4x4s?
Doesn't look like it. ROARwas quick to draft the 4WD SCT guidelines and from what I've seen, for the most part folks are simply choosing to race with the more race-worthy trucks when they want to be serious about winning, while the majority of Slash 4x4 folks are bashers or casual racers. It's a survival of the fittest situation, just like it should be

And your reviews are good, they seem more honest (vs. an advertisement 'review') than most of the other reviews out there.
Thanks much. I absolutely despise "reviews" that are done either in exchange for advertising dollars, or in the hopes of appeasing the manufacturers in order to try to get future advertising dollars. It's a real disservice to everyone other than the reviewers and manufacturers themselves.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Are you going to do any cool conversions with the 4x4 like you did with the original slash?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 PM
TheJANG

Thus far I've got this one going:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9573755

I hope to keep this as a long-term all-terrain basher, but if something else interesting comes to mind, you know I'll jump on it
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
xz1gsw

You said you can keep up with and pass a scrt10. what setup were you running?

Thank you Ron
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
TheJANG

Well, granted, that was one driver, one truck, but I'm basically at this:

[*]Tires: Pro-Line Bow Tie M3 (not that it matters... needs vary by track)[*]Motor: Stock[*]Gearing: Stock[*]Shocks, front: 2-hole pistons, 40wt oil, Losi black springs, mounting positions C & 3[*]Shocks, rear: 2-hole pistons, 45wt oil, Losi blue springs, mounting positions C & 5[*]Ride height, axles level front & rear[*]Camber: -1 all 4 corners[*]Camber links front: #4 inner, stock (upper hole) outer[*]Camber links rear: #2 inner[*]Battery full forward[*]No center diff[*]Diff oils:  Stiffer than you want to know  [/list]
Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
ScottKelly911

Jang, can I ask why you're running thicker wt shock oil in the rear? Do you mind explaining? Don't most people run thicker in the front to keep the rear from bucking over medium to larger jumps? Just curious. I also do understand that everyone has different driving styles and this may fit yours best. I'm just curious as I run 60 wt front and 50 rear in my Big Bores. but I'm always willing to try something new.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:07 AM
TheJANG

Dunno, I tune by what feels right and works best when I drive.  You can see in my most recent track run video that I don't have any nosediving issues, and in fact if anything, it's still jumping slightly nose-high.  I've changed my shock mounting positions from stock though, so that makes a difference.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911
Jang, can I ask why you're running thicker wt shock oil in the rear? Do you mind explaining? Don't most people run thicker in the front to keep the rear from bucking over medium to larger jumps? Just curious. I also do understand that everyone has different driving styles and this may fit yours best. I'm just curious as I run 60 wt front and 50 rear in my Big Bores. but I'm always willing to try something new.
Actually I do the same thing, always running about 5 or 2.5 wt softer in the front than the rear. Helps the steering around those tight corners.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 AM
TIGER76

Great pics m8y looks like you had fun
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
TheJANG

Sorry I somehow missed that last response until now.  Thanks Tiger!  One more run in short course form and I'll be back to bashin it!