Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Electric Truggy....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Truggy....?

Alright, I'm looking to get an electric 1/8th scale in the next few months when money will allow.

My first choice for awhile has been the Savage Flux, but after seeing the truggys at the track run I kind of want one of those...

I was looking at the RC8Te, since a friend has the RC8T, and it seems to be tough as hell....he isn't the best driver, and the track has a lot of huge jumps that love to destroy everything, and he hasn't broken anything yet. I've read a lot on the plastic shocks, and how everyone hates them. I did some price checks, and it'd cost me about $25 more to the RC8Te than the savage flux (including batts) but if I have to get shock right away for it...that like, what another $100? And I just can't do that... I've also read that the Associated conversion kit that comes with it needs some washers somewhere to fit the MMM 2200, that doesn't bother me very much, as that's less than a buck to fix. But I'm also not sure if it come with tires or not...so there goes another, what $40? at least. But either way, I'll get some better offroad tires for the flux, since the stock ones don't work very well on our super dusty track.

I think I'm better off just getting the savage flux, and racing against the other MT's out there. (and of course lots of bashing)

Any other options on a 1/8 electric truggy? (that are comparatively priced) I came up with a starting price for the savage of about $715.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Truggy....?

for a truggy you could get a Nitro Jammin X2 CRT roller for around $150-200 a Mamba monster 1/8th for $260 and the Jammin X2 conversion kit for around $50-100 (theres a few diff ones going from a center diff motor mount and battery box to whole new chassis) and have a nice tough as hell competitive truggy.

As a savage owner the things are a blast and don't break easy at all. The flux also has some nice aftermarket TVPs which will make it a tank, the stocks re not the strongest. My LHS when I asked about it(they are all Savage lovers, and own multiples) said they tell ppl who buy the flux order the aftermarkets online of buy a 2nd set of HPI TVPs and double them up, but thats only if your going 6S and trying to launch it 30 feet in the air

I actually just finished making a budget savage flux out of a Savage .21 (waiting on body mount posts & to test it outside)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Brainanator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

for a truggy you could get a Nitro Jammin X2 CRT roller for around $150-200
Where can I acquire this? Can't seem to find any.
and which (cheapest) conversion kit would you recommend? I'm afraid I don't even know where to look.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

generally find rollers on ebay only see two right now one for $175 bid(others $300 Buy it now) though looks like it was ran a few times from lack of scratching. Just search for Jammin X2 CRT and it should be within the 1st 10 results (has red and black body) ends Apr 21, 201013:11:17 PDT

as for conversion kit http://rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCMCRT1 I think will work. I'm 99% sure that the center diff mounts are the same(can ask in the truggy forum though). You will just need to make a battery holder though(I love stampede chassis's for that )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_399/tt.htm ask there also theres a few BL truggy guys there that know more
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 AM
FoamyVictim

Brushless 8th scale is hard to beat. Tough, reliable, FAST and incredible handling. Once you get it setup, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with nitro:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfMNFBy6AQ[/youtube]
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Brushless 8th scale is hard to beat. Tough, reliable, FAST and incredible handling. Once you get it setup, you'll wonder why you ever bothered with nitro:

funny I've never wondered why I bothered with nitro. I find nitro a blast in summer and electric a blast in winter(or now with the 85 degrees one day 40 the next weather where I live)

Once the weather stabilizes most my elecs will be shelved till fall
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
FoamyVictim

Nitro is a great way to draw in new people. Electric is a better way to have fun with the hobby. You spend more time driving, and less time trying to keep it running... and its MUCH more powerful.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Brainanator

I've never bothered with nitros anyway.

and don't start a nitro vs. electric in here....
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Brainanator

about how much does it cost to maintain the Jammin X2 CRT? I was astounded by the cost of parts for the RC8Te, and that it came with the plastic shocks that everyone seems to hate.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
FoamyVictim

In the years I've had my Jammin, about all I've spent $$ on, was consumables. I really can't remember the last time I broke it. For operating costs, BL 8th scale has to be among the lowest. As long as you don't take it to a skate park or MX track, it should hold up for years to come.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Brainanator

Which Jammin do you have again? There seems to be a decent looking JAMMIN CRT-X1 on the marketplace...if only I could haggle him down a little.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
GravityJunkie

I second the CRT X2. I love mine. Bought mine as a roller for $200 (with extra parts and hop ups). A RCM motor mount and Losi battery tray/straps and it's ready for whatever brushless system you want to run.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
deviltrigger529

Here you go brain, scrounge up some extra cash and get 2 Jammins. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Brushless-Jammin-CRT-X1-and-CRT-5-X2-8ight-e-emaxx-/160424897753?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item255a11acd9]Linker[/link]
Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Its kind of a tough decision to decide against a truggy or something like the savage flux. Im sure you already know some of this, but ill go over some of it just to refresh your memory[8D]

-The driveline on the truggy will probably be easier to maintain. They generally have stronger driveline parts like the CVD's and things
-The dogbones/CVD's are at less of an angle in a truggy usually, which keeps them from wearing quite as much
-The differentials are probably similar strength in both, however the flux will be harder on the differentials because it doesent have a center differential to help it distribute power
-The Flux will wheelie easily, and has great ground clearance for climbing and moving over rocks and things
-The Truggy has less ground clearance, but still does pretty good off road, and it will be much easier to control with crazy brushless power because of its center differential, lower center of gravity, and better setup overall
-The truggy is much easier to work on. My Savage is awesome, but a truggy is a simpler design with no transmission, and everything can be fixed pretty quickly. The new savages are better than my older savage, but they still require a decent bit of dissasembly to replace stuff like the center driveshafts and drive cups

Honestly I think both would be a blast to drive, and very strong, so its mainly up to you as far as what you would rather have. If you want to great handling and the ability to race, then the truggy is the answer. If you want to go jump, wheelie, and just have something that is crazy to control, then the savage flux is it.

Id say you'd be happy with either one. Like was said, find a nice used truggy, convert it to electric, and go with it if thats what you want[8D]

Eric
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Which Jammin do you have again? There seems to be a decent looking JAMMIN CRT-X1 on the marketplace...if only I could haggle him down a little.
It's the old CRT, the first version. Here's a pic of when I first put it together. I was still using a Losi 4S pack, and the Castle 2200 was still in it(have since installed a Tekin 1900, and put that Castle in my 8ight E). I've also moved the battery closer to the center. This has to be one of my all time favorite race rigs. It just does anything I tell it to. Lots of steering, way more power than I could ever use, and tough as NAILS!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
ryansiki

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Alright, I'm looking to get an electric 1/8th scale in the next few months when money will allow.

My first choice for awhile has been the Savage Flux, but after seeing the truggys at the track run I kind of want one of those...

I was looking at the RC8Te, since a friend has the RC8T, and it seems to be tough as hell....he isn't the best driver, and the track has a lot of huge jumps that love to destroy everything, and he hasn't broken anything yet. I've read a lot on the plastic shocks, and how everyone hates them. I did some price checks, and it'd cost me about $25 more to the RC8Te than the savage flux (including batts) but if I have to get shock right away for it...that like, what another $100? And I just can't do that... I've also read that the Associated conversion kit that comes with it needs some washers somewhere to fit the MMM 2200, that doesn't bother me very much, as that's less than a buck to fix. But I'm also not sure if it come with tires or not...so there goes another, what $40? at least. But either way, I'll get some better offroad tires for the flux, since the stock ones don't work very well on our super dusty track.

I think I'm better off just getting the savage flux, and racing against the other MT's out there. (and of course lots of bashing)

Any other options on a 1/8 electric truggy? (that are comparatively priced) I came up with a starting price for the savage of about $715.
I was in the same position as you and still am. I myself an leaning towards a truggy. Theres a guy on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/MikePeperni?blend=2&ob=1). He has an R8Te and some awesome bashing videos. I'd PM him and ask for his opinion
Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Brainanator

already asked mike, lol. Of course for me, the cost is the deciding factor. If I had the money I would get the truggy hands down, but even like $20 over the cost of the savage flux is really starting to push it for me...just wish I would have actually got an internship this summer...then I'd be rolling in the dough.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Hard to make money in school isnt it?

Im graduating in 2 weeks and cant wait. Trying to get a job lined up for when i get out. Of course then im getting married in October, so there goes all my $$ again

I bet with a Truggy or a Savage either one you could buy a used one, convert it, and sell the nitro stuff and have $300 or so in the WHOLE truck. If you are on a budget, that would save you major cash for any other repairs or upgrades you wanted to make to the truck. Its not hard to do, and I love doing conversions and things[8D]

Eric
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM
fastlane01

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZfMNFBy6AQ[/youtube]

Man the nitro never even had a chance! LOL! I have been running brushless for about a year now and love it. I am building a Jammin' x2 CRT with Tekin RX8 2000kv on 4s
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
FoamyVictim

Yeah, that old Jammin was fun to drive. I wound up selling it, since the class died off. Truggy is starting to take off again, so I bought a good MBX5 T, and converted it using that same Castle 2200. On 5S, its tough to control. I happened to have access to a 6S pack.... had to at least try it. I nearly had to reglue the tires. Talk about turning them to pizza cutters using half throttle and already traveling at 40+ mph
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
fastlane01

no doubt. I have been using gorilla tape to tame my tires. I mainly bash that is why I chose the Jammin plus the price for a new one isn't that bad. I ordered the Tekno kit today and will order the truck in 3 weeks. I plan on using a Tekin RX8 2000kv. I had a Mammoth ST and I used the tekno 3 shoe clutch on a MMM 2200kv. No heat issues at all.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Dadx2mj
Banned

Have you considered a Rustler brushless? Great truck.