Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Dialed_In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

I'm leaning toward the 2200kv combo but I'm still feeling my way around the different brands. I did start another thread about the motor/esc combo in the 1/8 buggy forum if anyone is interested. Perhaps one of us can start an official thread as redfisher suggested. I'm not sure if it's more appropriate to post it here or in the buggy forum. I would be willing to post pictures when mine gets here if someone starts the thread.

Yosh70, Do you get your parts out of Canada?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Yosh70

Some parts at my LHS but I've been ordering everything lately from Amain Hobbies.....my 3rd order and this time, they had everything I needed to repair the breakage we had with the Savage, Slash and Ultra.
I was looking at the CNC hubs for the Ultra and noticed my LHS actually has a pair in stock. But I couldnt bare to part with $100 when the stock pieces are only $17 US.

Maybe next time if one of the hubs break again.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have to put getting this rc on hold, wife says i have to buy a new bbq first.[]
Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: Yosh70

Some parts at my LHS but I've been ordering everything lately from Amain Hobbies.....my 3rd order and this time, they had everything I needed to repair the breakage we had with the Savage, Slash and Ultra.
I was looking at the CNC hubs for the Ultra and noticed my LHS actually has a pair in stock. But I couldnt bare to part with $100 when the stock pieces are only $17 US.

Maybe next time if one of the hubs break again.
Thanks Yosh. I'll have to look around Amain once I get the rig up and running. We don't have a LHS in our small town.

redfisher1974, Get some river rock and arrange them in a circle. Now add wood or charcoal in the center and top rocks with a metal grate. Light a fire, add favorite meats and order your Ofna

P.S. The LX-1E is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm still open to motor, esc suggestions.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
losifiend

This buggy is really tempting. By what I have read you can upgrade from parts on other ofna based buggies like the Jammin.

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger since its only $164.99 shipped with the super savor coupon @ Tower. Talk about a budget build!! I already have a 2800 and a 1800 XL motors sitting in my spares box. The 2800 on 3S rips! The only thing that concerns me about the buggy is the tiny shocks though.

And the MMM and Tekin RX8 can both be run on 2S with no problems.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Dialed_In

I does seem like a decent deal. I had been looking at Slash 4x4 rollers and they have been going for $125 - $155(and up) shipped. They also don't have all the included hop ups that this rig has.

I really do hope that it's parts are interchangeable with other Ofna's/Jammin's. That would sweeten the deal.

Thanks for the tip 2S info!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Yosh70

I dont think the shocks are tiny as far as other buggies go.....maybe smaller (13mm) than say, a Hyper 9E (14mm) or a 8ight 2.0 (15mm) but definitely not tiny.

I have to question your suggestion to use a 2S lipo in a 1/8th scale with a MMM or Tekin combo.....not enough to properly power that system especially when you're trying to move a fairly heavy 4WD buggy. A 3S would the very minimum but I would recommend at least a 4S.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

I know the Mamba Monster (MMM) will run on 3s, not sure about 2s. The problem is the battery likely will not handle the amp draw. 1/8 buggies being heavier really need higher voltage, at least a 4s pack to keep the amps in check. Unless you don't mind being geared to go really slow to keep your packs from puffing. But yes you can use your batteries. Make a series adapter and run the 2-2s as a 4s and the 2s+3s as a 5s.

Example: a vehicle geared for 40mph on 3s will draw more amps (and run hotter temps on both esc + motor + batteries because of it) than a vehicle geared for 40mph on 4s. And yes amp draw + temps will continue to decrease as you increase voltage (add cells) BUT ONLY IF you adjust the gearing to maintain the SAME top speed. Just adding voltage will increase top speed with no change in temps.

I have an older Ofna Lx that I made into an electric (mmm/2200kv on 5s) CORR truck myself and a Slash PE. I like the Ofna better. The slash has a tiny bit more ground clearance, but doesn't handle as well. I haven't broken anything on either, except bending axles on the slash, but I know the Ofna is alot tougher. Personally I like american products/companies and refuse to shop at hobbyking, but 1/8 is going to be more expensive to setup no matter what. But its going to be more durable, handle better than the slash 4x4 PE (my opinion) and be a hell of alot faster without breaking a sweat.

There's a slight bit of misinformation there. Upon reading your further paragraphs I think you justified your first statement, however let me clarify a few things:

Running a 2s instead of a 3s or 4s on a MMM will not automatically increase the amp draw nor cause the battery to puff up. This is assuming you are not changing the gearing to get more top speed with 2s. In fact, like you mention in your post later, increasing voltage AND gearing down to a smaller pinion etc is a better way to get efficiency while maintaining the same speed as an overgeared lower voltage setup. However, keep in mind Ohm's rule (or law, whatever you believe) is that as you increase voltage, you INCREASE amp draw proportionally assuming the resistance/load stays the same (or in our case keeping the gearing the same).

So you unless there are some other seperate electronic 'walls' or issues with the MMM esc running 2s lipo voltage, you should be able to run the buggy on 2s with MMM but don't expect more than 20-25 mph if that (which is still fun in its own way).
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Dialed_In

The buggy looks really nice and seems solid. This is the first buggy that I have seen in person so I can't provide much insight as to how it compares to other rides.

It will be a while before I get it up and running. I haven't got much input on a motor system but I spent last night reading about brushless systems here at RCU and other forums. I'm trying not make another expensive mistake [sm=frown.gif]

Would an official LX-1E thread be better suited here in this forum or the 1/8 buggy forum? This forum seems to get more traffic than the buggy forum.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Dialed_In

Another pic of the contents.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
genitor

I just won the nitro version of these on ebay as a roller for only $111.
Planning to convert it to brushless.
I will post pics when i get it.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Dialed_In

Sounds like a decent deal. Definitely post pics when you get a chance .
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
redfisher1974

Looks good. I want one.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
redfisher1974

Would an official LX-1E thread be better suited here in this forum or the 1/8 buggy forum? This forum seems to get more traffic than the buggy forum
You could just change the name of this thread.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Dialed_In

Done!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
redfisher1974

Awsome, Im still working on the wife to let me get one.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Dialed_In

The car comes with a servo saver. Is it good enough or do I need to get another? If so, which should I get. I have the Hitec 645MG servo.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
bhcvc

I'm also curious on what replacement servo savers fit. Thus far, I've read that is the main weak point on the buggy. It's an odd design...doesn't use bearings or bushings it seems...just some e-clips. Not what I'm used to.

Dailed - for brushless systems, that depends on your budget. Castle's MMM and Tekin's RX8/T8 combos are both good, but both pricey. ALL 1/8 ESC systems have failure problems, so it doesn't matter if you get the pricey or cheap ones...all have a relatively high failure rate. Castle and Tekin customer service is good though, so if it fails, you have someone to talk to. Once warranty period's over though, you might have to pay a fee.
I personally like Hobbywing systems and have several. Their latest Xerun 1/8 combos are really nice and the motors are great. For a buggy, the 80A Xerun ESC with 2250kV 4168SL motor combo is perfect and can be had for under $170. Take a look at that setup. IMO the best setup for the price.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Dialed_In

Thanks for the brushless suggestions bhcvc. The Tekin RX8 is a bit pricey but I'm sure they are nice. I'll have a closer look into the Xerun systems. I keep hearing a lot about them but I'm worried about having some sort of support. Where do you purchase your systems from?

Another weak point on the LX1e is the rear brace from the chassis to the rear end. I think I'm going to make an aluminum plate that runs from the top of the center diff to the rear diff. I saw a picture of someone that made one but I can't find it now. I'm also wanting it to mount my ESC on the plate because I need a longer battery tray.

Cheers
Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

You will love the buggy. Id rather have it over the slash. They are just built heavier, and out of better parts. The driveline is stronger, it will handle more power, and the buggy itself should have no problem taking a beating.

Just have fun with it
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
bhcvc

Dialed -
I used to buy my Hobbywings from a couple of ebay sellers, but now I buy them from Himodel or rc-fans88. Both have great prices and are reliable.
For the chassis brace, on my buggy, I made additional front and rear braces using steering rods (turnbuckles) connecting the front and rear bulkheads (via the top plates) to the center diff top plate. Seems to help quite a bit to reduce chassis flex. You can probably just buy a turnbuckle set to replace the plastic rear brace.

Anyone weighed their LX1e yet in RTR form? I'm still curious how much these weigh (relative to other 1/8 e-buggies).
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Dialed_In

Well I bit the bullet today and ordered the Castle Creations 1/8 Mamba Monster/Neu-Castle 2200kV combo . It's $50-$60 more than the Xerun but I wanted the warranty and support. It was a tough decision but I think we did ok .

bhcvc, Thanks for the info on the braces. I ordered a 6x12 piece of aluminum sheet to make a brace/ESC mount. My current batteries are too long for me to mount the ESC in the stock position so I have to mount it above the center diff.

Tip: The Castle Field Link cannot be found by normal keywords on TowerHobbies site. Here is the link for the Car version: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYWV0&P=7 and the link for the Air version: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYWV1&P=7
Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Yosh70

Good job on the ESC/motor combo choice.....I dont think you'll be disappointed.

And what kind of batteries do you have that wont fit? I have a 5S HK lipo and have plenty of room.
Still waiting for that d**n hub from A-Main....hopefully tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Dialed_In

Thanks Yosh! I only hope that I can handle the power and not tear up the buggy [X(].

The batteries are the Hyperion LiteStorms. They are skinny but long. Their brand new and barely fit (all but the 3s) in the Slash's tray.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Dialed_In

If anyone is interested I uploaded a bunch of pictures to an album at photobucket. I don't have a great camera or skill but the pics should help those that are considering this buggy.

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Ultra%20LX1e/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.