Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
scott011422

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL OFNA ULTRA LX1e 1/8th SCALE ELECTRIC BUGGY THREAD

Well, i got some time in on our track. The power is awsome! More like a drug with that 4x4. I may not be able to go back to a 2x4!. But the open wheels are killing me. Someone bumps me and my tire just crawls up between their tire and body. So I'm going to have to Short Course it. It seems pretty easy, I'l have to buy a custom front dogbone or make one. And mount the body. Found a Carnage slash body new. But the fenders are each 3/8 more stickout so you can cut them out. But if you don't cut them out, they fit the tires great!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Yosh70

I don't understand that at all....do most 1/8th buggy classes convert to SC bodies?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
scott011422

No, they are wider and shorter (the 1/8). So I had to make the chassis longer, hence the new dogbone. And I can't find anything stock for the width, so I have the Carnage which I'm not cutting it out. Which makes it wide enough. You see those notches on the top of the fenders? Those are for velcro tabs so you can attach them to the body, those till actually fit up inside the body and make it look seamless. A slash body is damn near perfect, but the tires stickout too much for my likeing. I'd like them to tuck like the slash.

I'm not sure how long this pic will stay up, Its from ebay.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
ScottStaypuff

Finally got mine running tonight after sitting on the shelf for two months. Had to rob my Slash for the speed control. Long story...

Anyhow, I either can't follow directions or they weren't very clear. The order of assembly is pretty important and there are quirks like getting to the bottom motor screw. Oh well, for the price and features I won't complain about assembly. I took it out for a shakedown run, immediately wrecked and had a tire go rolling down the street. Only hand tightening the wheel nuts will do that. [:@] After I got the nuts on tight I ran it around on 3s LiFe and it scooted nicely with stock 14t pinion and the Kershaw 9L.

I will be giving mine the SC treatment with a Losi Strike body and Associated 1/8 scale SC rims with ProLine 1/10 scale tires..
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Dialed_In

'Bout time you dusted that thing off [8D]. Good to see here!

That motor screw is a ***** isn't it... I had slightly more problems with my custom battery box and custom ESC plate. I think I had to do everything twice when I put mine together [&:]

If you haven't been following along, the stock tires aren't glued on well. My first run I had one tire come 1/2 off the rim and I almost lost a wheel nut. The glue is so weak that I took all the tires off their rims with my bare hands. You may want to redo them or get a better set of wheels/tires. I probably should have used mine on my Slash 2wd with 1/8 wheels adapters.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 AM
genitor

The trick with the bottom motor screw is to take out the whole center diff assembly by removing the four bottom screws, set your mesh and then bolt it back in.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
ScottStaypuff

Weird, I had to glue my tires myself. I didn't use the "H" adaptor for my Hitec 645 servo, I think maybe the "J" and its already stripped. I'll dig through the servo arms that came with the servo. Glad that's all it is because it was acting very funny...
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: ScottStaypuff

Weird, I had to glue my tires myself. I didn't use the ''H'' adaptor for my Hitec 645 servo, I think maybe the ''J'' and its already stripped. I'll dig through the servo arms that came with the servo. Glad that's all it is because it was acting very funny...
I also had a hard time with my servo adapter. I tried the "H" adapter and it seemed as if it was too small and I ruined it. I did end up ordering part 30661 but haven't used it yet. What is working so far is using the arm that came with the 645 servo. I just drilled out the 3rd hole (from center) and used the bolt and a locknut.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: ScottStaypuff

Weird, I had to glue my tires myself. I didn't use the ''H'' adaptor for my Hitec 645 servo, I think maybe the ''J'' and its already stripped. I'll dig through the servo arms that came with the servo. Glad that's all it is because it was acting very funny...
I also had a hard time with my servo adapter. I tried the ''H'' adapter and it seemed as if it was too small and I ruined it. I did end up ordering part 30661 but haven't used it yet. What is working so far is using the arm that came with the 645 servo. I just drilled out the 3rd hole (from center) and used the bolt and a locknut.

Pretty much what I did except a regular nut and loctite. My next issue is the esc shutting down, I put a separate post up, its been driving me crazy. Maybe a 4s Lipo will solve my problems...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
jamesban

I just got mine the other day. I put a mamba max in it I had laying around with a BEC and a 8L motor. It runs great. Blew the tires off the wheels though. I taped them and glued the snot out of them and its perfect now. Running it on 4S A123 batteries. I also want to get a SC body for it. When anyone gets one mounted on their body please take some pics of how you mounted it please.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
ScottStaypuff

I ran mine on 4s today and blew the tires off too. Needs more glue...
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
DriftTatanka

How are you OFNALX1Es holding up? Anything broken?

My friend bought one, he bashes though mainly. I might get one because they are so cheap, I already got a RC8e though.

Let me know some updates on how they are fairing.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
scott011422

Well, I finished my body mounts tonight. I went with screws because I hate those damn body clips. So I'll thread some plastic rod and try that.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
ScottStaypuff

That looks great! I'm copying your idea (sincerest form of flattery)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM
jamesban

That is sweet! So that's a Slash carnage body? I accidentally glued one of my tires on the wrong way when re-glueing them all. I might just put this body on mine also and put some stablemaxx wheels and tires on it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM
genitor

First failure.
The grub screw holding the drive cup on the shaft vibrated loose which in turn cause the diff pinion gear to not mesh properly with the diff ring gear resulting in this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67555.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1468495  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM
scott011422

Its kinda a funny story. I knew that a slash body was very close in wheelbase. I knew the carnage body was wider because you had to cut out the fenders. Well, for some reason, the wheelbase of this body was about 1.150 too long. I figured I just miss measured. SO I cut the car in half and lengthened it. Now tonight I just noticed that not only were the fenders wider but also stuck out a little bit. Apparently the removable fender fit in and BACK. which would be why the headlights stick out farther than the grill. I thought it was for styling. In the end I don't care. I love things that are unique and different. I'll just grab two more bodies as spares and I'll be set.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
jamesban

What would have to be done to put some truggy tires on this? Would you just have to go down a few teeth on the pinion or is the internal ratio on a buggy not good for running truggy tires also?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

I've been reading all I can find on the LX-1E. I like the durability and potential for speed that everybody has been talking about. I love the fact that it is available as a cheap rolling chassis, since I would end up replacing most of the electronics in a RTR car anyway. The only thing I don't like is the buggy body. I'm just not a fan of the looks, and since I already have one (evader EXB), the body would need to be the first thing to go. Scott did a nice job with the SC body, but SC trucks are a dime a dozen these days. I'm wondering if anybody has seen (or has any thoughts on) a rally car body on a LX-1E chassis. I've seen a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1460_782/products_id/22371/n/Kyosho-Inferno-GT-Pre-Painted-Body-Set-Subaru-Impreza?utm_source=Google-Base]kyosho impreza body[/link] on [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=469406]a slash[/link], and scott has a slash body on his ofna, so does that mean a kysho should fit on an ofna?

I'm going to be ordering an LX-1E soon either way. I'd like to get some opinions before I drop $90 on a body that might not be capable of fitting without major modifications. Additionally, any suggestions on "unusual" bodies that might fit would be welcome.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Yosh70

I got one off of Ebay for an Ultra LX (nitro).....a little bit of trimming and it looks 10x better than the stock body.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9797627
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Dialed_In

Candre23, They also make an unpainted version of that Subaru body that is around $40. I have no idea if it will fit or what other types would or wouldn't. When it comes to something like your doing your best bet is to take your LX1e to your LHS and see if any of the bodies fit.

You could also try searching for rally body 1/8 buggy or something similar. A quick google come up with this which mentions a class called rallygame. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9776323
Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 AM
scott011422

A slash body will fit an unmodified lx within about 1/4 inch of wheel base. Prolly close enough. But the tires are a problem. They stick way the hell out. I believe the outer edges of the slash body were a little past the center of my stock tires to the inside. So for travel you would have to cut most of the fender away.

My results are not typical. you can in NO WAY get an sc body to fit like mine without major modifications. Our wheels are too wide for sc bodies, and like mine, there are a few bodies that are, but the wheelbase is longer causing you to need to stretch your chassis.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
bigtravee
My Feedback: (1)

hi i need a setup sheet for a lx1e  can some body help
Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Razdawg

Soon to be new owner of a LX-1E, any suggestions for budget motor/esc and lipo or life batteries?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 PM
scott011422

Well, I got some really good track time in the all the new mods. I seem to come out of it with two problems. First was my turning radius. I know thats due to my lengthened wheelbase. So I modified the steering stops and have that back. But my biggest problem is that before I stretched the chassis, I could take my 180 degree turn at any speed under power and it would hold. If I gave it full throttle at the start of my turn in would do a 4 wheel drift all the way around my turn. It wont do that anymore. In fact, if I don't throttle down, it wont make the turn at all. Now I know I stretched it 1 and 1/8 of an inch, but could that of taken enough weight off the front wheels to where they won't digg in? Basicly it pushes in the turns, but only under power. But it didn't before the stretch... Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.