Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie. :) need help with gearing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 09:41 AM
PranK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie. :) need help with gearing.

Hey all.

I am a newbie here - i have been reading for a while, but can't seem to find the info i need... probably because i dont understand most of your terms etc.

I have a Tamiya TA03-F - probably not the best, but i like it. I have had a fair few R/C cars but have never modded them.

A few weeks ago - my stock 3 stage speed controller gave up the ghost, so i figured, if i am going to buy an ESC, i will buy a new motor at the same time, so i got a Futaba ESC and a Trinity monster stock 'pro' motor. i figured it was all pretty straight forward to fit it etc..

It has all this stuff about gearing in the instructions for fitting, and i also need to solder on the engine wires (pretty simple to do). Now, i didn't read all the instructions cause it arrived as i was heading out.. so i apologise early for my distinct lack of knowledge.

I appreciate any help with how to gear this - because odds are - i will blow it up as i seem to have a tendancy to do these things.

Thanks,

Christian
Old 07-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Berserker

Christian, depending on your spur gear (how many teeth it has) I would suggest not running the Monstor 'Pro' over a 19 tooth pinion. Actually I would start around 17 to be safe and see how hot it gets from there. Here's how you can figure out your gear ratio. (This is just copied and pasted directly from the internet.)

Write down on a piece of paper the number of teeth of the spur gear. The spur gear is the larger of the two gears and the number of teeth may be stamped on the gear.

Write down on a the number of teeth of the pinion gear. The pinion gear is the smaller of the two gears and the number of teeth may be stamped on it.

If your car or truck does not have "straight axle" chassis, you will need to find the gear ratio of the transmission. Normally only "pan" cars and 1/12 cars use straight axle chassis. (Sorry I couldn't find your cars transmission gear ratio. It may have something in your manual).

Divide the spur gear size by the pinion gear size to get your Gear Ratio. An example may look like this: 78/20=3.9 or a gear ratio of 3.9 : 1.

Now multiply the gear ratio you just figured by the transmission gear ratio to get your final drive ratio. An example may look like this: 3.9x2.4=9.36 or a final drive ratio of 9.36 : 1.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM
PranK

Berserker - very muchly appreciated! that will certainly come in handy tomorrow when i put the thing in.

Now heres a stupid question - i know with the 3 stage speed controls if you put the engine cables round the wrong way, the thing would go in reverse when its supposed to go straight (unless there was more wrong to my old car than i initially thought) - will this happen with an ESC also? my ESC has fwd/brake/rev not just a fwd/brake one. Or will i do damge to it (i cant see that happening.).

Thanks again.

Christian
Old 07-18-2003, 04:07 PM
R6stunter

Also if you are going to buy new gears, tamiya used a metric pitch gear in the TAO3. I converted mine to standard 48 pitch with a RRP (Robinson Racing Product) conversion. if you dont want to convert, buy a set of tamiya pinions.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Berserker

Christian I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're asking. Are you wiring your ESC your self or are you just soldering it to the motor? In any case there should be some wiring diagrams to help you in your owners manual or if you don't have that you can go online and there's plenty of them there. Especially if you have any of the popular brands ie. Novak or Tekin.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:42 AM
PranK

R6stunter - thanks! i have been doing a bit of browsing.. found a place that sells the RRP conversion for $10 USD.. i might grab that.

Berserker - tis cool, i answered my own question last night after messing around with it.

I need to learn how to rebuild the motor now.

Thanks guys! appreciate it.

Christian