Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

$25.00 stainless steel links!!!!!! low price

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
dhonda200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $25.00 stainless steel links!!!!!! low price

hey, i was just wondering if i start making turn buckles out of 416 stainless steel for traxxas rustlers, bandits.slash, stampedes would anybody buy them? There extreemly durable.
thanks, Derek
Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: $25.00 stainless steel links!!!!!! low price

Links? You mean turnbuckles? Stainless is only marginally stronger than carbon steel... Titanium on the other hand is twice as strong, and 3 times as light (brittle yes, but I have yet to see someone bust a Ti turnbuckle). You can also get Titanium from lundsford at a good price.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
dhonda200

titaniums only strong when its alloy and the turn buckles r not alloy. i made my friend some and hes broke titanium, steel,aluminum,plastic turn buckles and my stainless turn buckels were the only ones that he hasnt broke. plus the titanium turn buckles arn't as thick as the stainless ones. Stainless is by far tougher then titanium if you buy the rite grade of it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
genitor

Let's see what they look like.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
mrgoodbar

ORIGINAL: dhonda200

titaniums only strong when its alloy and the turn buckles r not alloy. i made my friend some and hes broke titanium, steel,aluminum,plastic turn buckles and my stainless turn buckels were the only ones that he hasnt broke. plus the titanium turn buckles arn't as thick as the stainless ones. Stainless is by far tougher then titanium if you buy the rite grade of it.
They are called turnbuckles, not links. lol
Titanium, when used inthe manufacture of literally anything,IS in itself an alloy.
People that break stuff frequently, like your friend, can break anything. It's just a matter of time.
Titanium turnbuckles come in various different diameters, depending on the manufacturer, so there are plenty of options.
If stainless steel was a viable medium then they'd have been using in in racing applications, whether it be full size or RC, for quite a long time. But being as it's has NOT, and it HASNOTproven itself stonger than hardened steel let alone Titanium you're just blowing a bunch of smoke here pal.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 PM
burrito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Links? You mean turnbuckles?
they are also known as steering linkages. so yes, you can call them"Links" .
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
dhonda200

i dont have any made up yet so i have no pics. i made some by hand a couple years back for my friend because he broke his and they were by far the strongest hes ever had. But theese will be machined on a lathe. if i make them i can make them to what ever length and diameter you like.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
gelbschnee

IMO pics or it didnt happen. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 AM
burrito

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long would it take to make and have shipped to someone's door ??

Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 AM
dhonda200

well ill be puting them on ebay for selling probly. So when i get some made up ill post a link on here of them so everyone knows where to buy them. Ill ship them through the mail so it should take 3 days to receive after buying.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 AM
sammich

ALL TITANIUM USED IN MANUFACTURING OF RC PARTS IS AN ALLOY. ANYTHING, INCLUDING YOUR STAINLESS, CAN BE BROKEN. IF STAINLESS STEEL WAS SUCH A VIABLE OPTION THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN USING IT IN HIGH STRESS APPLICATIONS FOR A LONG TIME, BUT FACT IS THAT IT'S NOT AS STRONG AS HARDENED STEEL HIGH GRADE ALUMINUM OR TITANIUM. TITANIUM TURNBUCKLES COME IN VARIOUS DIAMETERS DEPENDING ON THE MANUFACTURER. STAINLESS STEEL IS A COATING, NOT AN ACTUAL GRADE OF METAL AND DOES NOT COME IN MACHINABLE STOCK. BEFORE SPAMMING THIS FORUM, PERHAPS IT BETTER IF YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
dhonda200

yea ok first off stainless isnt a coating its a metal so rite off the bat u sound like an idiot. Second 416 stainless is stronger then grade 4 titanium which is the strongest non alloy titanium. If you dont beleive me ill show you the facts to back it up. The titanium they use isnt alloy or they would say its alloy. Plus my stainless is thicker then the titanium, true titanium is much lighter but stainless is much tougher and most bashers dont care about weight theyd rather have a tough car.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: sammich

ALL TITANIUM USED IN MANUFACTURING OF RC PARTS IS AN ALLOY. ANYTHING, INCLUDING YOUR STAINLESS, CAN BE BROKEN. IF STAINLESS STEEL WAS SUCH A VIABLE OPTION THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN USING IT IN HIGH STRESS APPLICATIONS FOR A LONG TIME, BUT FACT IS THAT IT'S NOT AS STRONG AS HARDENED STEEL HIGH GRADE ALUMINUM OR TITANIUM. TITANIUM TURNBUCKLES COME IN VARIOUS DIAMETERS DEPENDING ON THE MANUFACTURER. STAINLESS STEEL IS A COATING, NOT AN ACTUAL GRADE OF METAL AND DOES NOT COME IN MACHINABLE STOCK. BEFORE SPAMMING THIS FORUM, PERHAPS IT BETTER IF YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
WHY ARE YOU USING ALL CAPS? Associated machines their shock shafts out of CPTi (commercially pure titanium, not an alloy... aka "unobtanium"), lunsford machines theirs out of 6AL/4V which is a fairly common titanium alloy with around 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium, hardly an alloy. YES stainless steel does come in a machinable stock you idiot, ever heard of 347 crescent? Its an aircraft grade stainless steel, not a coating. Ti nitride is a coating. I weld all these materials on a regular basis (besides Ti nitride).
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
proanti1

yea ok first off stainless isnt a coating its a metal so rite off the bat u sound like an idiot. Second 416 stainless is stronger then grade 4 titanium which is the strongest non alloy titanium. If you dont beleive me ill show you the facts to back it up. The titanium they use isnt alloy or they would say its alloy. Plus my stainless is thicker then the titanium, true titanium is much lighter but stainless is much tougher and most bashers dont care about weight theyd rather have a tough car.
You should take a look at a rockwell hardness chart. 416 stainless is not "stronger" than CPTi (grade 4)... There is more to it than "strength". The brittleness plays a huge factor in an overall "strength" of a metal.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
dhonda200

hey, dont get me wrong im not trying to be a jerk or anything.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
dhonda200

416 stainless has a ultimate tensile strength of 758 and a yield strength of 586 and the rockwell c is 35-40. Grade 4 titanium has a tensile strength of 550 and a yield strength of 480-550 and the rockwell c is 23. So yes stainless is stronger and harder. Thatd why my friends never broken my stainless links.