Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Wiring brushless motor to ESC....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring brushless motor to ESC....

Hey guys. Got my used 3674sl 2350kv hobbywing brushless motor in the mail today thanks to Lilredmachine [8D]

Anyways, I was just wondering how you guys are connecting the wires from the ESC to the Motor. I dont have any connectors on the motor, so i am either going to have to round some up, or just solder the wires directly to the ESC.

Does anyone know of any automotive connectors that would work, or would I be better off to just either order some or solder the motor directly to the ESC. This is the only motor ill be running on it for a good while at least, so i wont be swapping in different motors, which is why i think I may just solder the wires on for now.

Any opinions? Also, when i do go to buy some connectors, what are good ones to get? 5mm bullet connectors, or something similar?

Eric
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: Wiring brushless motor to ESC....

I use 5mm bullets on all my 1/10th and Emaxx motors, they seem to handle the current.

As for soldering the wires directly to the ESC, you may find the motor spinning backward when you hit the throttle , in that case, swap 2 of the wires and it should spin the other way. Since you're soldering them... I'd solder one wire for sure, and then tape up the other 2 pairs and just slowly rev the motor and see which way it turns the wheels etc. This way you don't have to mess with resoldering anything.

I believe E-Flite still makes 5mm gold connectors (which I am using now) and also some other similar ones are available on Towerhobbies.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Willystylz

On all my 1/10th scale RC's I use 4mm bullet connectors between my brushless motors and esc's.

20 pairs for $9.70 from here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14997
Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Thanks guys. I think ill just solder it all together for now, and then later I will solder on some 5mm bullet connectors so that I can remove the ESC and motor seperate of each other if needed. [8D]

Another question.... My ESC has 10 gauge leads coming out of it for the batteries. One hot and one Negative. I am going to wire in two Traxxas connectors in Series so that I can run my batteries. I am going to need to add in some wire, and I was wondering if anyone thinks 12 gauge is too small or if It will be plenty big enough? I cant really see 12 gauge being a problem, but I just wanted to be sure[8D]

Guess i need to get to soldering so I can try this out! Just need a pinion now...

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27911.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1434091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40394.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1434092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58400.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1434093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13341.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1434094  
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

12 ga should be fine but if you find the wires are heating up then you should think about going bigger but i dought it'll be a problem and direct soldering will be better electrically for this,

automotive connectors can't handle the amperage i don't think unless they're for the starting assembly

the lug
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
strtzpmp

iusually direct solder unlees i get a motor and esc that both have connection that match...anyone think 8g wire and 6.5mm bulletsor would 8g direct solderbe suitablefor a 1/8 setup on 5s?? wouldnt both setups have lower resistance to say 12g wire and 4mm bullets? i want the absolute lowest resistance possible
Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Slo-V Flyer

For our RC stuff, 12g or 10g is more than enough, and I use 4-5mm connectors and 10g and 12g stock wiring that came with my MM esc and Hobbyking lipo batteries, on my Emaxx with 3s lipo and Slash and I see no difference. The wires barely get warm. I doubt if you are setup correctly with 4s or 5s that you will need anything larger than 10g or 12g. Our trucks don't pull a constant amp draw of 50-100 amps like some boats and large scale planes, so it doesn't affect it much at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 AM
nick 30

5mm or 5.5mm gold bullets are excellent, they handle upto 150a
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've heated up 16 ga but never 14 or 12, granted i've only run 14 on brushed setups so... take that for what it is i guess

the lug