Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Hornet Out Of Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM
TornadoGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Hornet Out Of Control

Well, tonight i decided to take out the Hornet for a drive, since it hasn't been ran since early winter. So, I turn it on, set up the steering trim, and start driving. It started out driving beautiful and had a lot of power. After about 200 feet though it swerved and ran into the 8 foot high meadow grass. I couldn't control it for nothing, and it just drove right in there by itself. I go dig it out, and give it another go. Again, after about 200 feet or so, it starts driving by itself. Turning and accelerating as it wishes. Basically the car was driving by itself. The only way to describe it is: The car accelerates, turns, stops, quickly accelerates, and turns again, and then finally I can gain some control over the car before it starts up again.

The car has a Futaba Receiver, and Radio, with the stock Tamiya TEU-101BK ESC.

Here are some pictures I took of my setup. I was wondering if some wires are to close together and are interfering with each other. I thought I read that this is a possibility somewhere, but can't remember.

As for the pic of the antennae running through the battery compartment, can the battery touching the antennae wire cause interference? Is my setup in general causing interference? If so, what could I do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for all the help

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90351.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1445329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60374.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1445330  
Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
rymansl2

Default RE: Tamiya Hornet Out Of Control

Interference is usually caused from running anything that has electricity going through it around the antenna wire. Try relocating the antenna to a spot where there aren't any other wires and see if that helps.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have long since lost the instruction book for that rx, but I'm pretty sure that isn't a BEC receiver. Since the TEU-101BK is supposed to be used with one, that could be part of the problem. But I don't really know, I have 3 of those receivers and I've only ever had control problems with one of them, despite the fact that I too am using all of them with the TEU-101BK.

My problem vehicle is an M chassis, and it will on occasion apply brakes, stop, reverse, turn, accelerate, etc... All as if someone else is driving it. My Lunch Box and DF-03 have the same rx though, and operate just fine.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the battery is probably causing interference. See that little hole next to the antenna tube mount? Run the antenna down through that hole, then up into the antenna tube. You could also try moving the ESC to the back of the car, then moving the receiver as far forward as possible, away from the motor and ESC. You shouldn't need a BEC with a 6 cell stick pack.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
TornadoGuy

Interference is usually caused from running anything that has electricity going through it around the antenna wire. Try relocating the antenna to a spot where there aren't any other wires and see if that helps.
Thanks rymansl2, I'll try routing the antennae another way.

My problem vehicle is an M chassis, and it will on occasion apply brakes, stop, reverse, turn, accelerate, etc... All as if someone else is driving it. My Lunch Box and DF-03 have the same rx though, and operate just fine.
Thanks mechanizeddeath, it seems that only some of the Tamiya's have that problem then. It's just annoyoing how I don't even have to drive, just let the car do the work.

Yes, the battery is probably causing interference. See that little hole next to the antenna tube mount? Run the antenna down through that hole, then up into the antenna tube. You could also try moving the ESC to the back of the car, then moving the receiver as far forward as possible, away from the motor and ESC. You shouldn't need a BEC with a 6 cell stick pack.

Thanks proanti1, I'll try routing it through the hole and into the antennae tube as you said. I'll also look into moving the ESC and receiver around.

Thanks again for all your help guys,

Joe
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
grumppee

I cannot tell from the above picture, but it almost looks as though the power wires to your ESC are not correct. The Black (-) wire should be on the far right, red (+) in the middle.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:04 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

the wires look fine

i could be you're running outta range with your radio...

the lug
Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
860Crawler

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

the wires look fine

i could be you're running outta range with your radio...

the lug

This looks like the simplest solution
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is not proximity of the antenna wire to the battery. Batteries don't generate any electrical noise. They actually filter it.

The problem is most likely one of three things:

a) The antenna is running right by the ESC. ESCs DO generate noise. Get the antenna the hell away from the ESC. This is my guess of the problem.

b) The antenna length is wrong. Did it get cut from the original length at some point? The antenna length for the transmitter is also critical.

c) Interference. If you checked the above items and it is still having problems, you're probably getting hit from somewhere else. If this is the case, try swapping out the receiver for another one.

Also, make sure the antenna wire is away from the motor. Motors, especially brushed motors, create a lot of electrical noise.

Let me know what it is when you figure it out.