Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Aveox 900kv motor and Traxxas Summit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aveox 900kv motor and Traxxas Summit!

OK so I finally got my 2 Aveox 1412/3Y 900 Kv sensored bl motors in this week. They are 4-pole high quality motors that back in the day (early 2000's) cost a pretty penny, like most brushless motors. It is about the size of an "L" motor (36 x 60mm) with a 5mm shaft. It is rated for 30-60 amps max, which comes out to about 44-88 in-oz of torque, about half the torque of the Summit's stock 775 motor, and 100 rpm/v slower.

My purpose of testing a single Aveox 1412/3y in my fat Summit is to try and see if I can increase run time any as opposed to the stock motor. Also, if this motor is unsuitable for the Summit (which I think it may be) I will resell it, or move it into my SCX-10 scale rig.

Unfortunately, unlike the regular sensored motors found today, like Novak and others, the sensor plug on these motors is larger, and only a 5 wire instead of a 6 wire harness. That means it won't work with my sensored ESC (the ZTW I got partly for this purpose...) so I tested both motors with my Mamba Max ESC, and they checked out just fine.

Oh, and another new goodie I got for the Summit was a Hitec 7755 metal gear dig. servo with 333 in-oz of torque. Let's just say it'll snap the servo saver and wheels from lock to lock while you blink.

I finally hooked up the UBEC I had purchased from HK about 2 years ago to the MM, and plugged in my two Rhino 2S 3700 20C mah lipos for 4S power (14.8v) tonight and gave it a 20 minute test run out on the street and grass, in both first and second gear in my otherwise stock Summit. With this motor being a 5mm shaft, I used the stock pinion/spur to get things going.

The Mamba Max in my previous test last night with stock dual steering servos, and 3s lipo power, could not sustain the BEC output to keep the 10 LEDs lit up, and after some time the steering would go out, and eventually the radio (so it would glitch). With the UBEC set at 6v and able to supply 3A, the LEDs were super bright, the steering servo and various shift servos (all 3 of them) worked perfectly.

The Summit was slower than the stock brushed 775 motor with the 900 Kv motor and 4s lipo. I would estimate the speeds were just a couple of mph shy than stock, so the tires didn't balloon and wobble badly. It did have enough torque to do a standing wheelie in 2nd gear, but lacking top end it wouldn't stay very long at all. Being in sensorless mode, the motor would of course, cog initially whenever climbing up a hard angle, but otherwise ran smooth as butter.

Motor temps reached hot enough to be almost painful (the shiny surface caused my infrared temp gauge to get false lower readings of 100*F), but if I pointed the temp gauge to the the motor sticker, it read 130*F so I would estimate it was a little hotter than that. The stock 775 barely ever reached 110-120*F or so, given that I have only ran that 775 motor in 60-70* weather, as opposed to the high 80s outside today.

The ESC barely peaked 130*F, and the 2 lipos were cool to the touch (read 87*F).

My conclusion so far is that I need a smaller pinion for the motor to keep the temps down (possibly 2t-3t lower if I can find a pinion locally), which would also reduce top speed, but seeing as I am interested in runtime it won't matter. I am already thinking I may just sell one of these motors and keep the other for experimenting etc, and keep my Summit brushed powered.....until I can find a proper sensored big motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19271.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	1435246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50989.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1435247  
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: Aveox 900kv motor and Traxxas Summit!

Well, my Summit was returned to stock motor again recently, after I got it back from the 4x4 Slayer mode it was in. I've since converted it to an FPV driving truck, with a small video transmitter and camera, just this past week. Still working out and learning the rope on that deal.

But today, upgrade time! Couldn't resist it for $65....

If you notice, that is a Castle Neu 1518 motor, 1800 Kv, sitting next to my purple Feigao 7XL 2300 Kv 36x70mm motor. The Castle motor is almost 80mm long, so I had to break out the Dremel, and shave off a good 5mm off the rear right shock mount, in order to clear the motor's rear end. Wow! Silky smooth motor, even at creeping low throttle, and very low cogging under climbing. This motor is the BIGGEST brushless I've ever had, and I am so glad I picked it up from Castle's site, purely by accident for that CHEAP price. If I go back to stock brushed motor in my Summit, I can slap this in my Emaxx and start destroying CVDs and idler gears.

On 3s with stock gearing this motor pushed my Summit past stock speeds, using Revo tires of course (no big floppy stock tires!). I will test 4s lipo power soon (don't have enough daylight hours!). I ran it for about 10 minutes on my already half used 3s 5000 20C Turnigy lipo, it went down from 11.5v to 11.3 volts. I think I'm going to be setting duration records with it like Wobby with his 2200kv brushless...This motor ran a warm 100+ degrees in ambient ~70* weather. I bet on 2s it won't break a sweat and I can still get decent FPV speed and tons of duration.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aveox 900kv motor and Traxxas Summit!

fpv, sounds like a fun project great deal on the motor too.