Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Scorcher Assembly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
photogdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scorcher Assembly Questions

Hi everyone, first post here!
I have a few newbie questions about building my new Sand Scorcher. I searched and searched but couldn't find any answers. Forgive me if they sound trivial but I've never built a model like this before.
For a bit of background, as a teen in the 80s I ran my buddy's old Grasshopper and Hornet when he got an Associated RC10. My first and only car that I bought and built was a Kyosho Pegasus - but that was a pretty simple model.
So when my dream car was re-released of course I went straight out and bought it! Here are my questions:
1. Greasing the gears: How much grease? Slather it on each gear, or just a few drops?
2. Universal joints: Do I snug them right up against the gear case or leave a little bit of play?
3. Painting wheels: I see a lot of people paint their wheels to look like chrome as per the box art. In real life I see a lot more buggies with white rims. Should I paint them white or just leave the plastic finish? What's the best type of paint for the wheels?
Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Dave

Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
nick 30

Default RE: Scorcher Assembly Questions

welcome back newbie to the world of rc

1 -  you don't want to smother grease onto everything as it can heat u and wreck things so a liberal amount will suffice, enough on your fingertip to wipe all around will be fine

2 - any time connectors or u-joints are involved, leave 1-2mm of a gap for any expansion to take place, so i would leave a gap

3 - ummmm, unsure what paint to use on your rims, i would suggest acryllic rattle can paint, i use that on my rc boats, i scuff the whole surface with a scotch brite ad to make a key and then spray, as i'm going to use my car for bashing around (in the middle of building) i would leave the rims as they are, i dont see the point of making them look pretty and get all scuffed up
Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
photogdave

Thanks for the reply Nick. Just the info I was looking for!
Cheers!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
nick 30

no prob's mate, thought i'd get back into rc cars again after a lengthy time out on other rc stuff
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
skinned

what nick30 said is correct...
just leave the wheels white(no paint)
Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
photogdave

Thanks for the help so far. Things are going pretty well. Next question: thread lock ALL grub screws, or just as the manual indicates?
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread lock ALL metal to metal contact.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
photogdave

Cool. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
photogdave

Next question!
Just putting the radio bits in.The receiver's antenna is too short to get to the rear antenna post. The instructions say if this happens to mount the antenna to the top of the radio box using the antenna pipe. The instructions DON"T say how this affects the way the body mounts. Would I have to put a hole in the body or just stick the pipe out the back window?
I'm thinking I'd rather swap the position of the receiver with the ESC so the antenna will stretch to the rear mount. Any problems with this idea? I guess I'd be worried the battery heat may melt the motor cables.
Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
skinned

just go ahead and put the receiver in the back.i never had a hot battery melt wires before.and if that dont happen....your gonna have to put the antenna out the window or drill a hole which i wont recommend..with the sand scorcher..you may be able to put the antenna through the sunroof[8D]
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
photogdave

Thanks Skinned. I'm going to go ahead and put the receiver near the back. The guy at my hobby store is modding my battery pack so it will fit in the box. I'll be good to go soon!