RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Great success. Make your own body shell!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 AM
plasmaedge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great success. Make your own body shell!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVISj...eature=related

Just saw this on you tube, will definately try this when i get my blitz.

Just thought you might like to see it seeing as bodys can be pricy.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Byodood

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great success. Make your own body shell!!!

I took an old 200mm touring car body i had lying around (i think it was a Proline Silverado) and trimmed it up, and fitted onto my Highroller. It actually looks really good.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:02 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Holy crap... I am going to do this. I even have an old oven in my shop which can easily be placed within arms reach of the vacuum former.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 PM
rymansl2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats awesome. How much does that polycarbonate sheeting run?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

thats what i wanna know, plus, where do can you buy it? i would love to make bodies as i mainly bash and they dont last very long.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

thats what i wanna know, plus, where do can you buy it? i would love to make bodies as i mainly bash and they dont last very long.

Your local Hardware store (Home Depot or Lowes), check in the windows section or just ask an associate in windows department. at Home depot, it's under Lexan brand. and a 24x12 inch piece is roughly $11-$12

Edit:

Found em.

12x24 is $11 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

18x24 is $16.40 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

They're mainly used as glass replacement but apparently, someone found other good use for em
Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 PM
ScottKelly911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome, I'm so gonna try this! Now I can finally have the thicker bodies that we've all been asking for.  Since the thinner bodies mean we keep buying more and more bodies. The companies have no motivation to make thicker more durable bodies. Now, there's a solution! Since it keeps falling upon deaf ears and none of the companies want to listen to us, we'll just make our own "Heavy Duty" bodies! Hmmm...sounds very similar to what happened to the music industry, they didn't want to lower the price of cd's, so people found ways to get the music for free...Just a matter of time that your favorite bodies in .080" thickness start showing up on ebay! Are you listening Proline, Parma, HPI and Traxxas? I can't wait to make a .080" thick Replica of the Proline F150! Sure they're a bit heavier, but then again, I'm running a MMM2650, more than capable of handling it, plus I can ream holes into the rear without fear of compromising the durability of the body!

This video shows that he can actually stand on it! Maybe I'll make .040" for racing and .080" for bashing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhctbZk9oIE&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
strtzpmp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive seen this for carbon fiber molds too...great diy...now only toget a dyi cnc with 8 axis lol
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 PM
jermpool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DO you have to cover the mold with anything to keep the poly from sticking when you are forming the poly?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 AM
proanti1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jermpool

DO you have to cover the mold with anything to keep the poly from sticking when you are forming the poly?
Probably wouldn't hurt to spray some pam on there. I want to know how me made the mold? Is it a positive or negative?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:57 AM
ScottKelly911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Probably wouldn't hurt to spray some pam on there. I want to know how me made the mold? Is it a positive or negative?
In one of his other videos, he shows how to make the mold. He used an HPIBlitz body and poured Plaster Of Paris into it making a Positive mold. Mix it in a bucket before pouring into the body. He mentioned that you really need to make it quite thin and mix it very well. This will make sure there's no airbubbles, then pour it into the body of choice. Make it thin, I think he said 1 part POP to 2 parts water or a 1:2 ratio, this way it fills in all of the little nooks and crannies of the body so you get an exact detailed mold. It takes a little longer to harden this way, but the resulting mold will be better and more detailed and accurate. I'm not sure if he said how long to leave it in the mold to harden. But I would probably leave it to dry 2 days or even longer to make sure it hardens and dries all the way through.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMO to make sure you get rid of all the bubbles vibrate the mold fora bit on a air compressor or something similar. Many many years ago in High school shop we had to make molds for metal foundry (we made monopoly pieces...) and our teacher told us thats the best way to make sure to get rid of potential air bubbles and make sure it gets into every nook and cranny.

I'm kinda tempted to try this with my nephews beat up stock pede body just tape the holes up and I can fix the blemishes with a lil light sand paper after it would dry
Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
mechanizeddeath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not bad for a DIY type thing. I'd love to make a replica of the Tamiya Brat body and put it on all sorts of vehicles. That body is just fun to look at.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
jettrooper02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is genious! i am going to have to do this for sure now, i'd only need to buy one body and i'd have my own for less. heck, you could even design your own if your good at sculpting stuff.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
ScottKelly911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

Not bad for a DIY type thing. I'd love to make a replica of the Tamiya Brat body and put it on all sorts of vehicles. That body is just fun to look at.
Great idea!I actually saw a real one today on the road and it was all pre-runnered out with a very slight lift. It looked so nice! You'd have to mount the rear facing jump seats too!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
plasmaedge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: proanti1

In one of his other videos, he shows how to make the mold. He used an HPIBlitz body and poured Plaster Of Paris into it making a Positive mold. Mix it in a bucket before pouring into the body. He mentioned that you really need to make it quite thin and mix it very well. This will make sure there's no airbubbles, then pour it into the body of choice. Make it thin, I think he said 1 part POP to 2 parts water or a 1:2 ratio, this way it fills in all of the little nooks and crannies of the body so you get an exact detailed mold. It takes a little longer to harden this way, but the resulting mold will be better and more detailed and accurate. I'm not sure if he said how long to leave it in the mold to harden. But I would probably leave it to dry 2 days or even longer to make sure it hardens and dries all the way through.

Well i subscribed to him on you tube and his vids say that you can take it out after an hour (or mabye it was days, idk) but if it were me i would leave it in there for a few days.

i read some of his comments and he says hes made sumthin like 11 blitz boddies using the same mold, awesome.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM
plasmaedge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the good thing is that all you need is peg board, 2by4 timber, a tray of some sort and a powerful vaccume of some sort.

I will make one one day and use it to make bodys.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
mechanizeddeath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ScottKelly911

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

Great idea! I actually saw a real one today on the road and it was all pre-runnered out with a very slight lift. It looked so nice! You'd have to mount the rear facing jump seats too!

I just wish I had the space. I live in an apartment, and my roommates non-running Jeep is taking up the garage space.

If anyone plans on doing this, the clear Brat body is $23 at Tamiyas site. You could sell 3 of those at $10 easily. I'd be interested in seeing how well this method works on it, as that is a pretty detailed shell. Tamiya managed to fit most of the detail of the hardshell into the lexan version.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
john01374

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm looking at doing this and I have a Brat shell that would be perfect to pull a mold from. Looks pretty simple from what i've seen. Might have to give it a shot this weekend.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
rc18junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that is cool i must say if you are good at carving wood you could make you own style bodys using wood molds
Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
proanti1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

that is cool i must say if you are good at carving wood you could make you own style bodys using wood molds
I was just thinking that... Even adding scoops and stuff to bodies. You could play around with aerodynamics fairly easily too.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM
mechanizeddeath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john01374

I'm looking at doing this and I have a Brat shell that would be perfect to pull a mold from. Looks pretty simple from what i've seen. Might have to give it a shot this weekend.
I'd love to see the results! I bashed my original Brat body to bits, but I wisely saved the sticker sheet and just ran it painted black. So when I get another Brat body, I can sticker it right up.

I was just thinking to, that you could maybe modify the mold and move the wheel arches if need be, so you could fit it on say a touring car body and have it still look scale. A "low" Brat would look awesome.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 AM
plasmaedge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you could probably make a custom mold out of modeling clay and vaccume it when its dry, could get some pretty hardcore molds

Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
jermpool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking that your possibilities will be limited to your imagination and artistic abilities. I know Im going to try this soon.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM
john01374

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was actually thinking of starting with my Slash body and molding in a couple of scoops to help keep the electronics cool. It would be nice to get some airflow without cutting out the windshield. I'm also gettnig tired of spending $25 every time I want a different paint job

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service