Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NEEDED: Battery and charger recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 AM
mantelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEEDED: Battery and charger recommendation.

So I've decided on the Traxxas Rustler VXL.

Now I need to buy some batteries and a charger.

BATTERIES
I was thinking of picking up 5 add'l in addition to the one it comes with, for 6 total. Do i buy a couple lipos in the 11.1/4000 range and a couple NiMh in the 8.4/4500 range, or just go all lipo?

CHARGER
I'm looking for something that does ac and dc. I've heard people say i need one that discharges... I guess I'm most the dark on this purchase...

Thanks everyone!!
Joshua
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 AM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: NEEDED: Battery and charger recommendation.

For your first batch of batteries, I suggest you stick to nimh. They're easier to deal with, because you don't have to worry about little things like over discharging them(running them down too low). I can't tell you how many people I've seen KILL Lipos because they ignored the warnings. Unless you're willing to take the time to be careful with them, avoid them.

If you're just bashing around, you don't need any of the advantages lipo offers. Just stick to the simple stick pack nimhs you can get for next to nothing these days. For a charger, the Onyx seems to be the basher charger of choice. Its AC/DC, can charge nimhs and will do lipo if you choose to switch later.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
guys2nv

Default RE: NEEDED: Battery and charger recommendation.

Hobbypartz.com has great stuff for good prices-mostly lipo though-also check out hobbyking.com-more great stuff but shipping takes awhile as they ship from china.