Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dark Impact is in, now i need batt packs

Well the Tamiya Dark Impact I got on ebay just got in today. Everything looks good so far, but I still have 2 problems. I need to buy a batt cover (the seller had lost his) and I need to get a batt pack for it. I was considering modifying it a bit to fix two of my little 2S packs in parallel in it, but with the amount of money I saved buying this thing used over paying an extra 50$ for it new, I figured I could buy the right lipo for it as well. I'm sure this question is asked many times over in this forum, but I seem to be having bad luck finding info about batt packs to use, and the DI thread has over 100 pages to sort through looking for such info...something I'm not about to do.

I'm looking for a 2s2p lipo that will fit in the space meant for a 6 cell nimh pack. I've been out of RC for a while now and am not too sure which brands are the best to look at. What would be some good reccomendations for a 2S2P lipo for around 40-60$? I would be running a Feigao 8S (4436kv) through a supersimple 100amp esc.

As an incentive, I promice to post pics and hopefully some video of it running if I can get some help with this
    saleens7, the wookie of RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dark Impact is in, now i need batt packs

You don't need 2s2p lipos. You can do fine with a simple 2s1p or 3s or 4s or whatever you need, in the 4000-5000+ mah range. the only reason you need parallel packs used to be to get more amps/capacity in the old days with 2000-3000 mah lipos. I think. Most lipos today are good for 15-30C and 4-5000 mah.

The cheap good stuff as far as lipos can be found at hobbyking.com. Look for Turnigy, Zippy, or Rhino (though Rhino's tend to be longer, like a 7-cell nimh). They usually have the popular lipos in stock if you know which ones to look for. I just saw several hardcase packs in the 4-5000 mah 2s range raged for 20C for $20 on there, in stock.

Here's a few links:

Zippy Flightmax 2s hardcase 4000 mah 25c
    Turnigy 2s 5000 mah 20C hard case

Or try searching for "hardcase" and that'll bring up a bunch. You DONT need hardcase, but those happen to be in stock, and are the exact size of a 6-cell as I understand. Other in plane shrink wrap can be a little thicker or a bit longer and may not fit certain cars with only 6-cell Nimh space.
    Summit+Neu1518, Emaxx+Fei.7XL+Xerun 80A, Bandit+3.5R, Slash+Medusa 3300
    Love RC tanks? Blow em up @www.worldoftanks.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah and a number of brands make shotgun pack shaped packs now
    support your local turn marshals, dont flip so dang much!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, here another thing....Im not entirely sure if i should go 2S or 3S....i have a 4436kv motor, i know the gearing between the pinion and spur gears is about 3 to 1, but I'm not too sure about the diffs, and if they're geared or not. I guess I can go 2S for now, but what speed should I be looking at?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a yeah racing lipo hardcase stick pack that doesnt fit in my DI, so I'm still using a little turnigy wrapped in bubblewrap, I think to be safe you will need a rectangular hard case with banana plugs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So hmmmm....my ESC doesn't have a BEC.....this is a bit of a problem....would this be the right thing to use?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=3735

Will this drain any more power from my battery than would an ESC with built in BEC?

I could also save up a bit and buy this ESC, The Feigao motor chart says the 8S will pull about a max of 81amp, but would i be ok with a 60amp ESC?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7188&Product_Name=Turnigy__Brushless_ESC_60A_w/_Reverse_prog._(v2.2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up buying the 4000mah 30C 2s1p hardcase flightmax pack and that little hextronic UBEC. The ESC from my boat is pretty big, but i have just enough room to mount everything in there. Getting the wiring under control is going to be a b!tch though. Origionally the ESC and Rx were on one side, with the servo on the other. With my ESC, it takes up so much space, I can just barely get the body on with it in there. The Rx will be mounted over by the servo (on its side, as it wont fit inside the tub when mounted flat), and the UBEC will have to squeeze in next to the esc. It's going to be a bit of a complicated setup, but until i can buy a nice little car ESC, this will have to do. Luckily, no modification will have to be done, except for cutting a small bit off of the back of the body, so the wires from the motor can fit through.

Oh, and here's the pics i promised. (I took the spur gear cover off to remove the pinion gear, and to see if it had a slipper clutch or not)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look for an EZ-run 60 or 80 amps ESC and you'll be covered as far as your proper car ESC needs. I'm already running a "ZTW" 60A esc in my trucks, on 3s with bigger 60mm length motors and have so far good luck with the setup.
    Summit+Neu1518, Emaxx+Fei.7XL+Xerun 80A, Bandit+3.5R, Slash+Medusa 3300
    Love RC tanks? Blow em up @www.worldoftanks.com