Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

novak gtb brushless problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
andybenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default novak gtb brushless problems

hey yall.

my losi xxx g4+ has a novak gtb 10.5 brushless setup in it. running like 20tooth pinion and a 99 spur

any who. while running it, sometimes at full throttle it runs crazy fast. other times its sluggish and tops out way lower than normal. it started this spring and i got agrivated and put it away.

so i was wondering if any one can point me in which direction i should go for testing the problem.

i think it could be the motor, or possibly, the esc... another thought was the possibility of the little diode that hangs off of the esc.

im not sure if theres anything i can do about this issue or not. my confusion comes from the fact that nothing smeeled burnt, nothing felt too hot.

if it would be best for me to slap new electronics in the buggy, just give it to me straight

thanks for any advice

andy

also, any recomendations on tires for that buggy. looking for something that will hook up decent on red clay, and small rocks
Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: novak gtb brushless problems

check out a-main for tires jconcepts and proline are going to be your best bets
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM
andybenton

thanks man. now if i can get some info on that brushless problem....

i thought there was a novak tech dude running around on the websight.   i know its not under warranty. but i think last time i had a problem i was able to get him to help me out
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Slo-V Flyer

You must be thinking of "Novak2" or someone, from Novak.

As for the GTB, I have the original one from 2006 or so. I haven't experienced the issue you are describing with it. However let me take a few guesses, as a check list for you:

- Motor connections/solders to the ESC
- Battery condition - connection to the ESC - Connector (Deans?) solders
- Motor heat (I doubt it though)
- ESC damage/heat?
- Gear/Transmission binding due to some loose item somewhere?
-
Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM
NovakTwo

Thanks Slo for assisting....

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touchâ„¢ Speed Controls

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

You must be thinking of ''Novak2'' or someone, from Novak.

As for the GTB, I have the original one from 2006 or so. I haven't experienced the issue you are describing with it. However let me take a few guesses, as a check list for you:

- Motor connections/solders to the ESC
- Battery condition - connection to the ESC - Connector (Deans?) solders
- Motor heat (I doubt it though)
- ESC damage/heat?
- Gear/Transmission binding due to some loose item somewhere?
-
Old 07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
andybenton

thanks for all your help guys. but i found the problem

my motor connections, deans connections, and everything were allright, i found the issue to be in my battery...
the positive lead wire off of my lipo has a short in it.     i noticed today at the track when i lost steering and throttle controll for a few seconds after hitting a big jump.

i was begining to suspect it being my radio, scince im not using 2.4 ghz. but i tryed the set up with a friends spekrum radio, and it gave me the same problem.   how ever when i use my other battery packs, it works fine, plus i located the short.

the issue now is that the short is only about 1/2 of a centemeter from the battery pack. and its a lipo.   im nervouse about applying enough heat to it it to get the job done....

so for now it looks like im in the market for tires and a batter pack..

thanks again to slo v flyer, and novak2. for your help with the buggy and thanks to fireman for recomending amain hobbies.