Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Redcat-what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat-what's the deal?

vpower, ThunderbirdJunkie is fairly certain you DO NOT know what sort of experience he has with the Chinese knockoff brands. ALL of the Chinese knockoff brands. Just sayin'[&:]
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: vpower

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

TBJ - the proof of the ability of the resellers to choose materials and levels of QC comes from people who distribute them in the US with whom I am friends and what they tell me - I do not know what other kind of proof you want and can not really prove what they say other than to say I trust them - I suppose you could say they are liars, but then I would ask you for your proof - I have seen different brands of what are clearly the same vehicles under different names where diff failures, for example, are extremely common in one brand and almost nonexistent in the other brand - I do not know how else you would explain that

and yes, the racer I mentioned was running a 1/10 electric in a stock class

I 100% agree that the Hyper 7 is a superior vehicle to the Redcat comparable vehicles - I have considered that exact vehicle many times

and just so you know, I am not a Redcat fan - I am just saying that you can get a good deal from some ''Chinese'' brands if you are capable of and willing to invest a bit of work into really making it ready to run - and they are not all complete junk and wastes of money
So the racer you're talking about is racing 4wd electric buggy...

With an HSP car? [&:]
K dude, whatever makes you sleep at night. If you honestly believe that he's running a Redcat/Exceed/Himoto car with the big dog Losi XXX4s, AE B44s, Kyoshos, and Tamiya 501s, ThunderbirdJunkie would like to sell you some oceanfront property here in Ohio.

bk, you don't understand that SOME people in this thread have spoken directly to the manufacturer of these cars. The QC is not optional, the plastics are not optional. There are plastics used for 1/10 cars, and plastics used for 1/8 cars. That's it, brother.

If you're willing and capable to invest work and money into making it ready to roll, by the time you were done you'd be money ahead to buy a comparable product from a reputable manufacturer.
dude have a good day and do more research heck even youtube should be enough! cause right now youre lookin verry stupid to me and many others (no offence its just so you get the idea)
Amen to that !
Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

i dont agree. the sh engines that come with redcat are very good and long lasting so stop coming up with degrading stuff if you dont even know what ur talking about.
There are SH engines that are actually okay, and there are SH engines that are utter crap. Unless you yourself have used the various kinds of SH engines, an assumption that ALL SH engines are good and long lasting is just that, only an assumption and not based on facts or you own personal full observation.
Some of the better SH engines are the ones resold under different names. One of my favorite SH engnes is the LRP .30ci nitro. Yes, this is an SH engine; LRP only buys them and puts LRP labels on them. Other SH engins are resold by Mach, Sportswerks, Dynamite, and many others.

Also, do not assume that everyone is talking crap; they can be speaking from direct experience. You have No idea that this person has not driven a Redcat.
So dont accuse ANYONE of bashing a product when you yourself have no proof that they are speaking the truth, at least form their own perspective, experience, and/or knowledge of facts and truth.
And you only expose yourself: People now have the right to ask you what experience do you have with other engines? How do you know it is long lasting if you have not run any other engines?
These people deserve the very same respect and chance that you are demanding everyone give to Redcat: That is the benefit of a doubt.

Bottom line: it is all about mutual respect.
i meant the sh. that came on the redcats and stfu if the only reason you posted here was for that bs

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! You better chill out with the "stfu," chief, and do not call my experience with various SH engine BS.
How do you know what engines I have run?

Also, back up, it is very clear that you take everything negative said about Redcat way too personally. Redcat has faults, just as any other brand.
But let me tell you something; it has been a LONG time that I have seen an HPI fan, Losi fan, Associated fan, or even Traxxas fan get mad about about faults mentioned about their RCs.

What you are doing is spamming your own fanaticism about Redcat and beginning to make personal attacks now.
When someone says something about HPI having problems about something, HPI and fixes it. I remember describing how HPI Savage TVPs had a weak spot under the engine mount. HPI fixed it.

Expressing problems is how these companies IMPROVE the product. Do not come on here and call people's expeiences BS.

Again, you have no right to attack someone and dare say they are "bashing Redcat" when these guys might just very well be Redcat owners who are describing their very own first hand experiences.

I know for sure that TunderbirdJunkie has driven a Redcat, that is how he knows the CB can be improved.

You really need to take a look at how your fellow Redcat fan, bkfamily, is expressing himself. He is not attacking nor is he staring flame wars nor is he falsely accusing anyone of "manufacturrer bashing." bkfamily is actually polite and one of the helpful guys in RCU, not just for Redcat fans, but for any other brand too. You really need to be like him.

Right now, you are giving other Redcat fans a bad reputation just by your actions here in this thread. What is sad is your actions unfortunately overshadow bkfamily's politeness and maturity. Don't give other Redcat fans a reputation of being bandwagoners and excessive fanatics even if the truth about their faults are spoken.

As a matter of fact, if you want Redcat to be improved, talk to the owner of Redcat himself, Darin Oreman. He is a fellow RCU member, and I bet he can address any flaws and make improvements.
Just cut out this fanboysim and personal attacks.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

TBJ - the proof of the ability of the resellers to choose materials and levels of QC comes from people who distribute them in the US with whom I am friends and what they tell me - I do not know what other kind of proof you want and can not really prove what they say other than to say I trust them - I suppose you could say they are liars, but then I would ask you for your proof - I have seen different brands of what are clearly the same vehicles under different names where diff failures, for example, are extremely common in one brand and almost nonexistent in the other brand - I do not know how else you would explain that

and yes, the racer I mentioned was running a 1/10 electric in a stock class

I 100% agree that the Hyper 7 is a superior vehicle to the Redcat comparable vehicles - I have considered that exact vehicle many times

and just so you know, I am not a Redcat fan - I am just saying that you can get a good deal from some ''Chinese'' brands if you are capable of and willing to invest a bit of work into really making it ready to run - and they are not all complete junk and wastes of money
So the racer you're talking about is racing 4wd electric buggy...

With an HSP car? [&:]
K dude, whatever makes you sleep at night. If you honestly believe that he's running a Redcat/Exceed/Himoto car with the big dog Losi XXX4s, AE B44s, Kyoshos, and Tamiya 501s, ThunderbirdJunkie would like to sell you some oceanfront property here in Ohio.

bk, you don't understand that SOME people in this thread have spoken directly to the manufacturer of these cars. The QC is not optional, the plastics are not optional. There are plastics used for 1/10 cars, and plastics used for 1/8 cars. That's it, brother.

If you're willing and capable to invest work and money into making it ready to roll, by the time you were done you'd be money ahead to buy a comparable product from a reputable manufacturer.
dude have a good day and do more research heck even youtube should be enough! cause right now youre lookin verry stupid to me and many others (no offence its just so you get the idea)
I find that ironic.. That type of tone and reply is the sign of "lookin verry stupid to me and many others (no offence its just so you get the idea)"... Pot kettle black?

As for red cat... Yes on average their models are poorly built or use cheap plastics and pot metal for alloys.
But there are (believe it or not) a few DECENT models that they do sell. As for SH engines I have had a decent experience with the one in my Speed-NT (as i understand it the engine is built bh SH and is used in many new losi models as a TRX 3.3 competitor).
Old 07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well redcats electrics are one of the best for price but every redcat has a parts problem. all the moving gliding have to be replaced with brand name parts ex:dogbone, drive cups differential gears. and the tranny has to be completeley replaced. i have a tornado bb, really fast and awesome on-road but would break everything off-road

here are some tips: replace the tires and rims. shocs and shoc tower replaced. and try fabricating ur own parts usin aluminum from your local hardware store to replace all the nasty heavy plastic. and try to make it as light wieght as possible.

all the parts that i said to be replaced for brand parts i mean hpi, traxxas, and even ofna and kyosho.
Wait
If you have to swap out tons of parts from other manufacturers...what makes this good again?

swap out the wheels and tires...minimum $30 right there.
Swap out shocks and shock towers...Hell, shocks alone can run you $100 depending on the car. ThunderbirdJunkie spent $80 on the Hellfire SS shocks for his Savage for example; and they get a LOT more expensive

Has Redcat solved the exploding clutchbell problem yet?
you forgot the diffs which can be $30-50 a piece
so if its 4wd thats an additional $60-$100 so basically a $250 redcat to make it useable would end up past $400 where you can get a 1/8th ofna or something for $325 [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
325 ***?!?!? there that cheap or are you talking about the kits that dont even come with the motor
Ofna Hyper 7 TQ black RTR $290 at tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUS1&P=ML
Ofna Picco RTR around $279 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy
Ofna Jammin X1x RTR $340 at amain (got one of these, and it has a Force .28 in it) http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy
Yes the Ofnas come with a motor, servos, radio, fuel bottle, AND EVEN A glow plug warmer, only thing it doesn't come with are batteries and nitro (Yes I do realize this is the electric forum it only came up cause the OP asked about their nitros after their brushless). In the Jammins case its a capable race buggy out of the box with a few tweaks to its setup, that is built like a tank.

Redcat Hurricane (as TBJ posted) $298.00 on ebay (Oddly no hobby shop I know of online carries it... but I did find a similar exceed on nitrorcx for $299), from what I see it does not come with a fuel bottle, or a glow plug warmer, and costs more than 2 of the ofnas. Only thing it does come with is a cheap $23 flysky 2.4ghz radio that you can get off hobbypartz.com (or Hobbyking.com for $18 resold under the HK name)

So the save some cash argument goes out the window seeing your paying more for inferior goods.

Lets face it redcat MIGHT be getting better now, but they will be plagued for a long time just like Venom is from when they sold craptastic quality NiCd's, NiMh's, and other junk at extremely high prices.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 AM
FieroMan121

i love beotch fests, so much better than constructive threads

actualy the track i go to has a pair of guys who come out on sunday practice and run some 1/8th redcat/himoto/hsp/etc buggies with great succsess, they dont race but their cars dont give them too many problems either, nothing any other car wouldnt have and theyve been coming just about every week for the past year or so with those same buggies (i remeber when they first came to the track, and there cars were clean)

personaly wouldnt touch one with a 10 ft poll and a trx halfshaft taped to the end
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM
bkfamily1

TBJ - I swear I am not trying to give you a hard time or question your statement - but I am really curious - how were you able to speak to one of the plants making RCs? I would love to understand better what they do - you hear all kinds of stuff said about grades of plastic, level of QC, exclusive designs etc etc, but you never really know the whole story - you trust people you know, but they may not necessarily have all the info either - and like you, I prefer to work with facts - did you actually talk with one of the Chinese factories or one of their US people? what did they tell you?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FieroMan121

i love beotch fests, so much better than constructive threads

actualy the track i go to has a pair of guys who come out on sunday practice and run some 1/8th redcat/himoto/hsp/etc buggies with great succsess, they dont race but their cars dont give them too many problems either, nothing any other car wouldnt have and theyve been coming just about every week for the past year or so with those same buggies (i remeber when they first came to the track, and there cars were clean)

personaly wouldnt touch one with a 10 ft poll and a trx halfshaft taped to the end

Hahahahahaha made my day man

Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
The Mad Modder

I honestly don't see how someone isn't supposed to take offense to being called "verry stupid". Try calming down and coming up with a coherent argument instead of just calling people names like a child. I've found that taking the time to think of a good argument and write it up properly(with proper spelling and grammar), will give you much more credit.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
laganm21

Ive had them all HPI Traxxas Losi and I got a 1/5 scale redcat rampage the best rc I ever had, Parts are easy to get a Fast shipping for stores like DDM (Dave discount Motors) I cant say Ive ever had anything redcat nitro wise , but there gas stuff great
Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

TBJ - I swear I am not trying to give you a hard time or question your statement - but I am really curious - how were you able to speak to one of the plants making RCs? I would love to understand better what they do - you hear all kinds of stuff said about grades of plastic, level of QC, exclusive designs etc etc, but you never really know the whole story - you trust people you know, but they may not necessarily have all the info either - and like you, I prefer to work with facts - did you actually talk with one of the Chinese factories or one of their US people? what did they tell you?
TBJ will answer on his own.

But, I know that it is not hard to talk to the manufacturer. You do not have to buy HSP RCs from a reseller (Himoto, Exceed, or even Redcat). You can actually buy them and have them shipped to you straight from China.

Also, if you make a business trip or two to China, you can buy HSPs from direct Chinese sellers face to face.

As a matter of fact, there are about a dozen of Chinese cloners, many of them illicit (illegal, unlicensed) cloners, who are looking for anyone in America to import their stuff and sell into the US market. Finding them is very easy with a search on the web.
I will not say how to do it or what websites to go to since it is illegal internationally to get involved with them. It is illegal according to US laws and also Chinese laws.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I honestly don't see how someone isn't supposed to take offense to being called ''verry stupid''. Try calming down and coming up with a coherent argument instead of just calling people names...
I wholeheartedly agree. This guy does nothing to further the image of Redcat or other Redcat fans. His behavior only hurts their them by making other Redcat fans look like angry fanatics when that is far from the truth.
There are alot of good guys in the Redcat forum; guys who will help anyone, regardless of what brand of RC others own.

I personally feel that vpower owes everyone here an apology.
At the very least, vpower owes other Redcat fans an apology for giving them a bad image when in fact more of them are great people.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 7 different redcats and the newer trucks are much better. Yeah the HSP cars have their problems but it's still fun to tinker on them and make them better. It helps that I have a Redcat dealer about 7 min. from my job! I have 3 Savages, 2 duratrax axis's 1 RD logics show and they all break parts. (not as much as redcat)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 AM
J.D.T

first off all rc's break period
secondly while I would be in agreement you are going to a gun fight with a knife if you try and race MOST HSP products but I would relate a tale from about five years ago, a fellow no one had really heard name of Richard Saxton came along with a barely heard of brand called Thunder Tiger(I thought they made planes lol) with an unknown to us tt3 1/8 scale, well around here we got four guys you would call pro level drivers all have been in pro series A mains and all but one spend big bucks on the latest and greatest, the other has such a long history with Kyosho they send him a huge box of goodies every year for free, well that day only one guy was on the lead lap with Richard at the end, shortly after that thunder tiger bought associated outright and now everyone knows Richard as he is a Team Associated Factory driver, the point is a wheelman will make a booty car shine.
It will surely be a while before all the HSP products are up to speck, some may never get there but they certainly ain't gonna sit on there laurels and just wait, they have introduced more new cars in the last five years than associated, traxxas and losi combined. They are certainly quicker to respond to changing demands in the market place, where are the big companies 1/5 scales? None of the first tear companies(tamiya/kyosho/thunder tiger) even offer a 1/5 scale, HSP has multiple choices in both two and four wheel drive. Heck it took 10 years to get 1/8 scale buggies from half the big companies.
I am not defending the HSP products, I have more than enough experience with them to say they ARE getting better, I currently don't own one and have no plans to get one any time soon unlesss one of the afore mentioned 5ths fall into my lap.
You get what you pay for, when you say nothing is perfect I would have you look to xray and yokomo as well as the high end tamiya kits for the best quality available, HSP will probably never get to this level but all they need to do is get to traxxas, associated and normal tamiya levels of QC and they will be just fine, Americans think we are the big deal, we are about 8-14% of the global rc sceen, traxxas is a second tear company and a pimple on the butt of the first tear guys, they along with Losi, HPI and other smaller companies are the ones that need to fear HSP getting better. TAMIYA RULES BY THE WAY LOL.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM
vpower

ive officially retired of this thread HAVE A GOOD DAY SIRS
Old 07-11-2010, 12:25 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

first off all rc's break period
secondly while I would be in agreement you are going to a gun fight with a knife if you try and race MOST HSP products but I would relate a tale from about five years ago, a fellow no one had really heard name of Richard Saxton came along with a barely heard of brand called Thunder Tiger(I thought they made planes lol) with an unknown to us tt3 1/8 scale, well around here we got four guys you would call pro level drivers all have been in pro series A mains and all but one spend big bucks on the latest and greatest, the other has such a long history with Kyosho they send him a huge box of goodies every year for free, well that day only one guy was on the lead lap with Richard at the end, shortly after that thunder tiger bought associated outright and now everyone knows Richard as he is a Team Associated Factory driver, the point is a wheelman will make a booty car shine.
It will surely be a while before all the HSP products are up to speck, some may never get there but they certainly ain't gonna sit on there laurels and just wait, they have introduced more new cars in the last five years than associated, traxxas and losi combined. They are certainly quicker to respond to changing demands in the market place, where are the big companies 1/5 scales? None of the first tear companies(tamiya/kyosho/thunder tiger) even offer a 1/5 scale, HSP has multiple choices in both two and four wheel drive. Heck it took 10 years to get 1/8 scale buggies from half the big companies.
I am not defending the HSP products, I have more than enough experience with them to say they ARE getting better, I currently don't own one and have no plans to get one any time soon unlesss one of the afore mentioned 5ths fall into my lap.
You get what you pay for, when you say nothing is perfect I would have you look to xray and yokomo as well as the high end tamiya kits for the best quality available, HSP will probably never get to this level but all they need to do is get to traxxas, associated and normal tamiya levels of QC and they will be just fine, Americans think we are the big deal, we are about 8-14% of the global rc sceen, traxxas is a second tear company and a pimple on the butt of the first tear guys, they along with Losi, HPI and other smaller companies are the ones that need to fear HSP getting better. TAMIYA RULES BY THE WAY LOL.
5 years ago? Richard Saxton? no one really heard?
Thunder Tiger? barely heard of?

Folks you can't make this stuff up[&:]

ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty sure he knew who Richard Saxton AND Thunder Tiger were back in the mid 90s when he started RC.

10 years to get 1/8 scale buggies from big companies?
Do you know HOW LONG the 1/8 buggy class has been around? a LOT longer than THAT. Associated was about 20 years late showing up in 1/8 buggy.

HSP has been manufacturing cars since '00 or '01 or so.
They haven't improved.
And don't expect them to sit on their laurels...they don't have any
Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HSP has been manufacturing cars since '00 or '01 or so.
They haven't improved.
And don't expect them to sit on their laurels...they don't have any
They have any reason to improve actually.
They seem to be pretty happy targeting people new to the hobby with cheap RC's otherwise their products would be on par with HPI's or traxxas's in durability.
Now if they would start using better alloys (and yes I've used some of their metal parts in a RC I pieced together once), and better nylons instead of cheaper plastics they might be a company to be reckoned with for RC's seeing some of their designs are pretty decent. But chances are they won't bother seeing shipping a ton of cheaper RC's produces more profit than shipping less higher quality ones.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM
rooker

thanks for taking up for us stupid plastic dudes bkfamily1!!!!! I too work in a plastic facility.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
FieroMan121

these threads are so fun to read
Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 PM
rooker

I so agree Fiero
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: FieroMan121

these threads are so fun to read
More fun if you participate
Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 AM
FieroMan121

fieroman121 thinks you are right but has no direct experience with them. only through guys he races with and the multitude of forums his greatness resides in

your not the only one who can talk like that but its hard as heck to do so so hats off to you
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM
dashstryk3

But Thunder Tigers is from Taiwan, not China. Taiwan does make pretty decent RCs, like Caster and GS Racing to name a few...
Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Wolfgang3648

check youtube alishanmoa has some good vids of breaking in redcats he works for redcat[8D]i have had a good expireence with redcat so far
Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reading threw here, its clear that many who put down redcat have never owned one, or only owned just 1. you cant judge a brand on just 1 model you owned!

i had a traxxas nitro sport SE as my 1st RC. It was NOT a good truck. broke something every other time i ran it. motor was a pain to keep tuned.
But i like traxxas. I have owned xl5's, vxl's and a emaxx. all of which i liked.

One comment that shows some ignorance was that redcat uses junk electronics.
That may hold true of the few brushed models. the ESC and motors are very basic.
But their brushless stuff is almost all hobbywing ezrun stuff now.

Some of the servos they have used in the past had issues, but they are addressing that.

nearly all their models now have 2.4ghz radios. same as the flysky 2.4 sold on hobbypartz.com.

They recently changed many models to banana 4.0 plugs. while these may not be as popular as deans or the traxxas plug, they are better for handling the power than tamiya plugs.

their 1/8 scale nitros are decent trucks for the money. their are some other brands that may be better(dont know, as i havent run them) that are in the same price range. but you wont be wasting your money on a 3.5 or the professional series.
thier 1/10 scale nitros are OK. Not high end, but fun.

I know that some will say " oh, but he is a dealer"
well, i became one after owning 5 of their models and liking them. they dont break any more often than my traxxas vxl's.

Most of redcat's models are imported from china. However, they worked with another company to design the ground pounder. no-one else has that truck, it belongs to redcat and redcat alone.
Even some other models that you may find exceed or himoto selling are not always completely identical. redcat sometimes has the manufacturer use different electronics or different molds for certain parts.

Redcat is the underdog. They have been in biz for only 7 years or so. They are still learning.
As the underdog, there will always be haters. And as a "lower cost" Rc company, there will be many newbs who buy a redcat cause of the price and then blame Redcat for problems instead of admitting that it was their lack of knowledge.

I personally have enjoyed my Redcat just as much as the traxxas, HPI, tamiyas i have owned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.