Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Redcat-what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Jgaff2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat-what's the deal?

I went to the redcat website just looking around, and I noticed that their rc trucks[electric and nitro] are very cheap priced. Any comments/ideas why? Some have said that they are great trucks others say that they are crap.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat-what's the deal?

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

I went to the redcat website just looking around, and I noticed that their rc trucks[electric and nitro] are very cheap priced. Any comments/ideas why? Some have said that they are great trucks others say that they are crap.
[:@][:'(][:@][:'(]
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the redcat trucks are nothing more than Himoto or Exceed cars with Redcats name on them. They are manufactured in huge numbers in china somewhere and can be sold cheap.

The later cars like the Backdraft and aftershock are Redcats own design. They are still made in china but the quality of the redcat designed car are much better than the relabeled stuff they sell. I have a Vortex SCT and the Ground Pounder monster truck. Both have been great trucks so far. Granted I wouldn't beat them the way I do my traxxas stuff but they do get driven pretty hard and have taken a lot of abuse.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Jgaff2

Do they come with manuals and engine tuning/break? Cus if I was ordering one I would order one of their nitro 4wd buggies, so I know that their specific engine would have to have some type of specific guidelines.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: john01374

Some of the redcat trucks are nothing more than Himoto or Exceed cars with Redcats name on them. They are manufactured in huge numbers in china somewhere and can be sold cheap.
minor correction himoto, exceed, and redcat sell relabeled HSP RC's

Personally I wouldn't recommend a redcat as a 1st RC unless you know how to make your own parts for the ones that keep failing, or like trying to track down parts.

I also hear the instruction manuals are pretty crummy as one guy found out think it was last week when he broke a part on his diff and the manual doesn't say how to take it apart.
I will admit thought they do make some nice looking RC's too bad the quality is not up there with the looks, or I would have one.

BTW do NOT go cheap if you order a nitro. Nitros engines are one of the few things in RCs where you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap 4wd buggy in nitro look at the ofna hyper 7 tq black(tower sells it), Ofna picco(tower again), or Jammin X1x(carried on amain hobbies) CR those are about the cheapest 4wd nitros you will find that are quality made, and will take a ton of abuse without braking a single part.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

Do they come with manuals and engine tuning/break? Cus if I was ordering one I would order one of their nitro 4wd buggies, so I know that their specific engine would have to have some type of specific guidelines.
Jgaff, Don't order one of their anything.... I thought when I first started seeing their products out there, they would be the next up and coming rc kit distributor.... I was wrong (not the first, wont be the last), so far all I have heard is the ol' "hit or miss" saying. With a lot more misses than hits. I have yet to see any of their products at any hobby shop I have been to from here (Connecticut)to as far as (Florida). Just not supported!!!

I would strongly suggest against getting any of their products!!!!

Just my opinion....

Old 07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
TIGER76

BTW do NOT go cheap if you order a nitro

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0svKe9pv5
[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Totally agree

Like they say you get what you pay for in rc might be better off saving abit more and checking traxxas,hpi etc good parts and hopups and more reliable engines too
Old 07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
vpower

well redcats electrics are one of the best for price but every redcat has a parts problem. all the moving gliding have to be replaced with brand name parts ex:dogbone, drive cups differential gears. and the tranny has to be completeley replaced. i have a tornado bb, really fast and awesome on-road but would break everything off-road

here are some tips: replace the tires and rims. shocs and shoc tower replaced. and try fabricating ur own parts usin aluminum from your local hardware store to replace all the nasty heavy plastic. and try to make it as light wieght as possible.

all the parts that i said to be replaced for brand parts i mean hpi, traxxas, and even ofna and kyosho.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
vpower

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

BTW do NOT go cheap if you order a nitro

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0svKe9pv5
[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Totally agree

Like they say you get what you pay for in rc might be better off saving abit more and checking traxxas,hpi etc good parts and hopups and more reliable engines too
i dont agree. the sh engines that come with redcat are very good and long lasting so stop coming up with degrading stuff if you dont even know what ur talking about.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: vpower

well redcats electrics are one of the best for price but every redcat has a parts problem. all the moving gliding have to be replaced with brand name parts ex:dogbone, drive cups differential gears. and the tranny has to be completeley replaced. i have a tornado bb, really fast and awesome on-road but would break everything off-road

here are some tips: replace the tires and rims. shocs and shoc tower replaced. and try fabricating ur own parts usin aluminum from your local hardware store to replace all the nasty heavy plastic. and try to make it as light wieght as possible.

all the parts that i said to be replaced for brand parts i mean hpi, traxxas, and even ofna and kyosho.
lol actually I almost ordered a redcat till I was reading in the redcat forum on the one model I wanted they were like
Well ok for the diff this HPI cause the redcat one will break, Dogbones get off a traxxas, etc

I did the math and was like uhh I could just buy a new HPI for the cost of making the redcat decent
Instead I bought a used HPI (not recommended buying used nitros as a 1st RC they are usually lemons that need new engines)
Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM
vpower

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

lol actually I almost ordered a redcat till I was reading in the redcat forum on the one model I wanted they were like
Well ok for the diff this HPI cause the redcat one will break, Dogbones get off a traxxas, etc

I did the math and was like uhh I could just buy a new HPI for the cost of making the redcat decent
Instead I bought a used HPI (not recommended buying used nitros as a 1st RC they are usually lemons that need new engines)
i have to agree with you there too muck to make redcat good[&o] if you can all help me out and point out the flaws of redcat (have to own a brand new redcat) so i can talk to redcat about it and make them the better brand[8D]
Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

in one of the plane forums, I saw someone use the term "builders ARF" meaning it is supposedly Ready-to-Fly, but will probably need some work from an experienced builder to get it "really" ready to fly - and it comes with little instruction - that was the best description I have heard for the Chinese imports - if you know what you are doing, don't need a ton of instructions and are prepared to do a bit of work on a vehicle that is supposed to be RTR, you can get a pretty nice vehicle for a pretty good price - but I have also seen a lot of "hit or miss" stories about Redcats, so I guess you take your chances
Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Jgaff2

Yep you're all probably right. I wasn't planning on getting one, but just wanted to know what the deal was. But yea, if I had to get a 4wd buggy I have seen and heard some good stuff about the hyper 7's.
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: john01374

minor correction himoto, exceed, and redcat sell relabeled HSP RC's

Personally I wouldn't recommend a redcat as a 1st RC unless you know how to make your own parts for the ones that keep failing, or like trying to track down parts.

I also hear the instruction manuals are pretty crummy as one guy found out think it was last week when he broke a part on his diff and the manual doesn't say how to take it apart.
I will admit thought they do make some nice looking RC's too bad the quality is not up there with the looks, or I would have one.

BTW do NOT go cheap if you order a nitro. Nitros engines are one of the few things in RCs where you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap 4wd buggy in nitro look at the ofna hyper 7 tq black(tower sells it), Ofna picco(tower again), or Jammin X1x(carried on amain hobbies) CR those are about the cheapest 4wd nitros you will find that are quality made, and will take a ton of abuse without braking a single part.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM
SPC

Nearly all RC cars are built in China and probably come from the same factory. That means most RC companies just buy the same cars motors and parts, slap their labels on them and then jack the prices up to gouge us. Buy direct from the factory in China and save.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SPC

Nearly all RC cars are built in China and probably come from the same factory. That means most RC companies just buy the same cars motors and parts, slap their labels on them and then jack the prices up to gouge us. Buy direct from the factory in China and save.
that is very wrong
even if they use the same plant they use different grades of material + ther are inspections to reject crap parts which the off brands would still use.
I know there at least 4 engine makers Force, and kingstar being 2
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
SPC

Hmm, that logic is frequently applied to LiPo packs and accepted by many on a regular basis, so why not apply it universally?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
cika
My Feedback: (35)

Just buy a Duratrax! I have owned every brand of RC and there just as good as Losi,AE,etc... Cheap price but not a cheap truck. Grab a used ST or BX as they have ball bearings and metal housed shocks. I see them here for $65-$80. You could bargin and get it for that shipped.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Sherv

The Red Cat Buggy brushless that comes with 2 lipo packs is really nice. I know a lot of people with them, great buggies. But for the most part they are cheap plastic (other models). Problem with redcat is that if you break a part... you wait for a month or two because it's normally on back order. I know a guy with a Red cat nitro truggie that waited 4 months for all his parts.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, that logic is frequently applied to LiPo packs and accepted by many on a regular basis, so why not apply it universally?
I think you need to investigate why China makes most of the lipo and nimh batteries, there are reasons. And no, it does not apply universally.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

OK, so for those of you that honestly believe that Redcat has some of the least expensive cars (regardless of what has to be done with them) take a look at the HPI Sprint. 210 bucks, RTR.
Redcat sells the Lightning EPX for $140.
barely a 35% price increase, and you can have a superior product, with a superior motor and ESC, and FAR better parts support.
This is the same argument for buying a $9,999 Hyundai whatever-their-super-cheap-car-is-now vs a $13,000 Focus, Nissan that wagon thing, or Fit.

so i can talk to redcat about it and make them the better brand[8D]
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good luck with that. Five years...and they still can't get their crap straight.

HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Losi, all the big dogs listen to their customers. Redcat is content with pumping whatever crap comes out of the HiSpeed factory to your door.

Largely incorrect. Quality manufacturers usually build in Taiwan (HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Losi). The relabeled Chinese crap is what the low end "me too" relabelers do to try to get a foothold in the market. Redcat just doesn't seem to understand that they have not done anything but bait newbies yet.

Because it's largely true with LiPo packs.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Sherv

Thing is since their introduction redcat has started to make better products. Especially in the electric market. Thats the thing about clones or cheap chinese products. If they actually do take off there is a chance that they actually improve the line/product. At the same time they start to increase prices too. RedCat seems to be heading that direction. The problem with RedCat is that they create their own upgrade parts and because they arent that popular here in the states yet they lack 3rd party hop ops.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
SPC

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

OK, so for those of you that honestly believe that Redcat has some of the least expensive cars (regardless of what has to be done with them) take a look at the HPI Sprint. 210 bucks, RTR.
Redcat sells the Lightning EPX for $140.
barely a 35% price increase, and you can have a superior product, with a superior motor and ESC, and FAR better parts support.
This is the same argument for buying a $9,999 Hyundai whatever-their-super-cheap-car-is-now vs a $13,000 Focus, Nissan that wagon thing, or Fit.

so i can talk to redcat about it and make them the better brand[8D]
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good luck with that. Five years...and they still can't get their crap straight.

HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Losi, all the big dogs listen to their customers. Redcat is content with pumping whatever crap comes out of the HiSpeed factory to your door.

Largely incorrect. Quality manufacturers usually build in Taiwan (HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Losi). The relabeled Chinese crap is what the low end ''me too'' relabelers do to try to get a foothold in the market. Redcat just doesn't seem to understand that they have not done anything but bait newbies yet.

Because it's largely true with LiPo packs.
Hmmm, true for LiPo's but not the cars and parts themselves. Very interesting.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Hmmm, true for LiPo's but not the cars and parts themselves. Very interesting.
Its also not so true on Brushless setups Hobbywing makes some damn nice things for a low price, or radios flysky makes some damn nice low cost radios.

The problem with the chinese clones is they cut corners where ever its possible. Lower grade plastics instead of nylons, low or no quality control, more impure aluminum that they cast instead of CNC, etc..
Some clones also take say a HPI vehicle and make poor copies of the parts so they don't even fit together properly.

But then again there are some freak clones like the KM Baja 5b which are just as durable as the original that they cloned (HPI Baja), but for the most part the clones seem to be crap
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Sherv

Thing is since their introduction redcat has started to make better products. Especially in the electric market. Thats the thing about clones or cheap chinese products. If they actually do take off there is a chance that they actually improve the line/product. At the same time they start to increase prices too. RedCat seems to be heading that direction. The problem with RedCat is that they create their own upgrade parts and because they arent that popular here in the states yet they lack 3rd party hop ops.
That would imply that Redcat is big anywhere else in the world.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Sherv

That would imply that Redcat is big anywhere else in the world.
I was told himoto is VERY popular in south america. I heard this at one of the meets I go to every weekend some guy had 3 himoto nitro cars (all with busted diffs and impossible to tune engines...) who liked them (I have no idea why) and told me in Brazil and in SA in general Himoto is pretty popular and easier to come by compared to other popular brands like Associated and Traxxas. I dunno about europe.
I'm not defending RedCat... I almost bought the Rampage until I kept reading about it. But the new RedCat Brushless Buggy is actually a good product. I've seen it in action and read about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.