Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

traxxas brushless question

Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM
yotaman1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traxxas brushless question

what exactly is the third wire for and can and how do you put it on a 2 wire esc?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: traxxas brushless question

you need a brushless ESC for your brushless motor you can't run a BL motor with a brushed ESC, nothing will good will happen, i don't understand 100% what the third wire is for, but i know its part of sending pulses of electricty to the coils in the motor, so they match the polarity of the rotor,

go buy yourself a castle sidewinder esc and you'll be fine it'll be another $70 but it'll be worth it

the lug
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

or get a hk esc for 30 something shipped...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

BL motors use three wires because they run on three-phase power. All three wires are necessary. Because the power and control scheme used for brushless motors is completely different from that used for brushed morors, you must have the correct type of ESC for your motor. As Lug said, a brushed ESC will not work with a BL motor, and vise-versa.