Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

electric question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
pkennedy08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric question

For all the electric RC enthusiasts out there I was just wondering why electric over nitro. Im fairly new to the RC hobby and was just curious about this.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: electric question

I'm a nitro and 1/5 gas user and was always biased against electric. Now I'm going electric because I have no choice :P but I'm starting to like it.

Nitro:
Smoke!
really fun to work on the engines and 2-3 speed transmissions
The sound when it shifts is pure addiction
Real disk brakes! Which allows my Futaba 3pm to take advantage of ABS!
2 speed transmissions!
Very dirty, noisy, and not as reliable as electric.
More moving parts!
More expensive to keep running (32 bucks a gallon of nitro)
Oil everywhere
Gets you kicked out of everywhere
Engines have limited life spans and are very sensitive to temperature changes.
Everyone stops and starts watching the nitro engine shift up and down the lot/grass/dirt/sand
Heavier (not a bad thing IMO... More durable chassis)
You can keep running the thing all day... when I go bashing I go and run for 4 hours straight... cant do that with electric.

Electric:
Way more powerful
Rechargeable energy source but a decent amount of downtime if you dont have a lot of battery packs.
Way faster
Single speed Cant hear it shift
Clean
Less moving parts to its more reliable
Brushless engines last longer
Lighter
More frail
Silent... Can run it anywhere anytime
No smell
LiPos can fail
Easier to work on. Like a pinion change... what would have taken me an hour or so on my revo to change only took 15min on my electric truck.
cheaper to keep running

Gas:
All the pluses of nitro with less of the minuses
Less messy
More smelly
REALLY reliable engines and hard to make them fail...
REALLY cheap fuel cost (3 dollars a gollon...)
They run for 45min on a single tank of gas...
HUGE
MASS!
OMIGAWDS helluva expensive to keep running.. Needs real maintenance like a car...

heres a vid of my 1/5th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCi3lli61E
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
oreo31

for me it was as simple as loving the ability to just turn it on and go play. nitro is fun but i spent more time tuning than bashing or racing my tmaxx. nitro is just alot more work but sometimes thats not a bad thing. i just got tired of it and love being able to just go out and bash
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please not this its going to turn into a completely retarded argument just like the last 40 or so I've seen.

Heres a similar question which do you like more apples, or oranges and why.

Serious note my answer is I like nitro more, as to why I find it more fun. Simple as that.

As to why I own way more electrics. Its a multi part answer. One reason is my nephew when he brings his RC's over he didn't hve much fun when my savage drove over his stampede. Another reason is the weather by me can change DRASTICALLY within an hour which royally screws up a tune, one day I went out it was 75 and an hour later it dropped to 45... When the weather is colder than I would like it to be when I run a nitro for around half a year(the colder it gets the easier it is to damage a nitro engine due to cold air being more dense, and causing it to lean easier). Last reason I own more electrics is it took me a quite a few to find one I liked (BTW there's been more than my sig can hold), and would give me the fun a nitro has.

Sadly this year the weathers been real loopy preventing me from running either on my days off. It goes from decent temp but rainy to almost 100 with 95% humidity. On days its not raining and the temps are decent theres usually water standing due to all the rain from the day before...

and Sherv the gasser maintenance cost drove me off a baja. I almost choked when I saw a set of tires cost the same as on my real car[:@]
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
FoamyVictim

If you have no predisposition towards either, and don't care about sound effects, then electric wins hands down. Convenience/Power; electric is superior in both.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
mrbonez

wow how many times does this pop up so far its been pretty civil to me they are all rc's and they all are fun in my mind they are completely equal as stated nitro can be messy and need tuning as weather changes electric require patience when waiting for battery's to charge and straight gas seems to be more costly but im sure fun to as they are bigger just my 2 copper coins