Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

ORIGINAL: Specialzed
That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.
You have no idea about nitro. If you think it was a feat to swap the motor and ESC on your E-Maxx, break in and tune a nitro engine. You will feel like a hero then. And when that nitro is just screaming down the road at 30k rpm with a flawless tune, you know its because you had the knowledge to tune it to perfection. You can have 2 nitro engines and one will blow the other out of the water if one is tuned correctly and one isnt. You cant buy your way into performance if you dont know what you are doing with nitro, like you can with electric.

I have a brushless electric truck that I built. I had to mount the transmission because it came out of a different truck, I had to make a battery holder, I had to modify the transmission with all metal gears, and build my own center driveshafts. I know what its like to run a brushless for the first time. Yes they are powerful, but this is a hobby and although nitro typically isnt as fast, you better believe the thrill is still there for other reasons, and I enjoy my nitro's a lot.

Eric
Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

... If you think it was a feat to swap the motor and ESC on your E-Maxx, break in and tune a nitro engine. You will feel like a hero then. And when that nitro is just screaming down the road at 30k rpm with a flawless tune, you know its because you had the knowledge to tune it to perfection.
HELL YESSSSSS, best feeling EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
savagecommander

That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.
although nitro typically isnt as fast

Eric
well, just for reference a mamba 4600 puts out about 30in oz of torque at stall, and i think thats around what a low end .21 puts out....

however you want to slice it, the technology is evolving, and nitros havent caught up yet- blame manufacturers
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have no idea about nitro. If you think it was a feat to swap the motor and ESC on your E-Maxx, break in and tune a nitro engine. You will feel like a hero then. And when that nitro is just screaming down the road at 30k rpm with a flawless tune, you know its because you had the knowledge to tune it to perfection. You can have 2 nitro engines and one will blow the other out of the water if one is tuned correctly and one isnt. You cant buy your way into performance if you dont know what you are doing with nitro, like you can with electric.

I have a brushless electric truck that I built. I had to mount the transmission because it came out of a different truck, I had to make a battery holder, I had to modify the transmission with all metal gears, and build my own center driveshafts. I know what its like to run a brushless for the first time. Yes they are powerful, but this is a hobby and although nitro typically isnt as fast, you better believe the thrill is still there for other reasons, and I enjoy my nitro's a lot.

Eric
agree

Been there done that

Side note your truck still ripping it up? And how is that HK esc holding up cause I'm thinking of getting one for my savage .21 I converted due the the MM getting way too hot that I had in it (slaped it in a Jammin X1 CRT I'm converting which is alot lighter than the savage)

savagecommander
Only think I've wondered is how can nitro evolve anymore? Only thing I can even remotely think of adding in fuel injectors, or more pistons but either one would increase the weight, size, complexity, and cost of the engine to the point that a gasser would be more suitable for the application.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
savagecommander

youve got a point, but would tossing another cylinder on a motor REALLY be that hard? youd have just about twice what motors are putting out now. make it a four stroke for gods sake! ANYTHING!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cumquat

IF you have not already done a brushless conversion yourself. I say this only because the experience is amazing. I have a 3905 Emaxx that I got on a trade off the marketplace and I wanted to convert it to brushless. Throughout the whole time of ordering and waiting to receive the parts for the conversion I was always kicking myself in the back of my mind for not just getting a Brushless Emaxx or a Savage Flux.

Through all the headache of a brushless conversion being done by an RC beginner (taking things apart, mounting new things, SOLDERING) I have to say once the car runs, all the headache is worth it. Brushed motors are OLD TECHNOLOGY and the difference between them and brushless motors is like NIGHT AND DAY. My Emaxx running a 540 size 2600kv Turnigy inrunner through a HK150a esc with only 1 7.2v 4600mah battery is faster than my Emaxx with twin titans and 2 7.2v 4600mah battery's

Hold up,

Brushless motors with half the power are faster than brushed motors with twice as much power? Whats going on here?!!

Not to mention with the brushless motors the car runs much quieter, doesn't cog at all and is just way more enjoyable to drive. I think if you care about this hobby and want to have as much fun in it as possible, you shouldn't drive a brushless car until you've driven a brushed motor car and you should convert said car to brushless yourself. After your finished you'll be preaching like me for sure. That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.

The reason why I was running only one 7.2v nimh was only to test out the esc, I thought if I was lucky it would turn the motor slighty so I could at least tell it was working but little did I know that with only 1 battery the damn thing would be faster than its stock counterpart with 2 battery's! This is madness! Has anyone else had an experience like this?
just what this hobby needs, another ''brushless is god'' fanboy. i would bet my last dollar you have never even ran a nitro let alone owned one. nitro is still dominating the 1/8th scale racing scene for a reason.

when you race the savage make sure you record it and your face, i want to watch the savage pass your maxx and the look on your face when it happens.
Ive owned and ran a nitro before, glad thats over. Your username suits your intelligence.

ORIGINAL: grimgard
This is not rocket science so stop patting your self on your back because you were able to use a Hex wrench, solder a few wires, and apply sticky tape.
Coming from the guy who has so many rtr brushless vehicles, I wouldnt expect you to understand.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
savagecommander

now now, lets cool our jets
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
cumquat

Ive owned and ran a nitro before, glad thats over. Your username suits your intelligence.

ORIGINAL: grimgard
This is not rocket science so stop patting your self on your back because you were able to use a Hex wrench, solder a few wires, and apply sticky tape.
Coming from the guy who has so many rtr brushless vehicles, I wouldnt expect you to understand.
i only count 2 in his sig.

unlike many other people i know im not the smartest person in the world, i dont try to hide it, but calling me an idiot for reading a post that is straight from the "i have never ran a nitro but i know it sucks" textbook and making the seemingly obvious assumption that you never experienced nitro is unfair. at any rate, to each his own and lets agree to disagree and not spark the nearly unavoidable "nitro vs. electric" thread #1,000,000,000.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Yosh70

Just because some of you dont have the money or are stuck in the past, dont blame those that are able and willing to actually spend some money into this hobby. Stick with your brushed motor, your AM radio and Nihm batteries. Technology is obviously not your friend.
And I wont even go into the nitro scene....more and more conversions are being done anyways.

I cant help but think that the cars you drive have carburetors and your computer monitors are more than likely CRT type.....you guys sound like my in-laws. Their VCR is still hooked up to their 200lb wooden RCA TV.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Flame wars! Yea!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Yosh70

Just because some of you dont have the money or are stuck in the past, dont blame those that are able and willing to actually spend some money into this hobby. Stick with your brushed motor, your AM radio and Nihm batteries. Technology is obviously not your friend.
And I wont even go into the nitro scene....more and more conversions are being done anyways.

I cant help but think that the cars you drive have carburetors and your computer monitors are more than likely CRT type.....you guys sound like my in-laws. Their VCR is still hooked up to their 200lb wooden RCA TV.
i like tech.
im on my desktop with a 750gb hard drive and 4gb ram (i am aware that isnt anything super powerful but it has a lot more power than the other 2 working desktops in the house combined) hooked up to our 32" 720p lcd tv. me ps3 is sitting on my desktop and hooked up to the same tv with an hdmi cable.
my mom got a "new" 2005 dodge grand caravan after her 2002 Hyundai Elentra finally became too much work. my grandpa (who i sort of, kind of live with) drives a 2009 Hyundai elentra because he forgot to pay the loan off on his 2006.

if i really wanted to go BL/lipo ib my gravel hound then i could easily do some work over the winter and buy a tekin and maxamps setup, but i dont want to.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Flame wars! Yea!
they are always funny to read, aren't they?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: cumquat
...but calling me an idiot for reading a post that is straight from the "i have never ran a nitro but i know it sucks" textbook...
I actually do have a nitro, and nitro really does suck!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 AM
MMGT

IF you have not already done a brushless conversion yourself. I say this only because the experience is amazing. I have a 3905 Emaxx that I got on a trade off the marketplace and I wanted to convert it to brushless. Throughout the whole time of ordering and waiting to receive the parts for the conversion I was always kicking myself in the back of my mind for not just getting a Brushless Emaxx or a Savage Flux.

Through all the headache of a brushless conversion being done by an RC beginner (taking things apart, mounting new things, SOLDERING) I have to say once the car runs, all the headache is worth it. Brushed motors are OLD TECHNOLOGY and the difference between them and brushless motors is like NIGHT AND DAY. My Emaxx running a 540 size 2600kv Turnigy inrunner through a HK150a esc with only 1 7.2v 4600mah battery is faster than my Emaxx with twin titans and 2 7.2v 4600mah battery's

Hold up,

Brushless motors with half the power are faster than brushed motors with twice as much power? Whats going on here?!!

Not to mention with the brushless motors the car runs much quieter, doesn't cog at all and is just way more enjoyable to drive. I think if you care about this hobby and want to have as much fun in it as possible, you shouldn't drive a brushless car until you've driven a brushed motor car and you should convert said car to brushless yourself. After your finished you'll be preaching like me for sure. That said I see absolutely zero reason for stores to keep selling nitro cars, that technology is even worse than brushed motors.

The reason why I was running only one 7.2v nimh was only to test out the esc, I thought if I was lucky it would turn the motor slighty so I could at least tell it was working but little did I know that with only 1 battery the damn thing would be faster than its stock counterpart with 2 battery's! This is madness! Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Sorry to interup your flame war, lol but does the motor connectors fit into the ESC without soldering different connectors?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: MMGT

Sorry to interup your flame war, lol but does the motor connectors fit into the ESC without soldering different connectors?

that esc will come with no connectors on any of the wires.

I'm running one in my Savage Flux.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

wow this thread is do done with. bottom line let people enjoy the hobby in their own way opinions don't matter to anyone but themselves. if you don't like rtr brushless oh well it wasn't being made for you then.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, this thread is getting a little bit off track. This thread is about brushless vs. brushed ELECTRIC motors, and is in the Electric Off-Road forum. Let's keep the discussion, or comparison, of nitro vehicles out of the discussion here. This is NOT the place for it. Any further talk of nitro vehicles here will be removed

Ken
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
cumquat

sorry ken, understood.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
oreo31

i agree with building your own brushless system. it may not be more than plugging in some connectors and using some sticky tape to some but doing your homework and piecing together an esc and motor combo for yourself and watching it work is were i get my satisfaction. for all you rtr haters out there, there is a solution to rtr's: take them apart and put it all back together again. that's what i do with my rtr's. i break them down and look for mhat i think my be a weak spot and replace parts accordingly. also, breaking it down helps me understand where everything goes and how it goes together and when something breaks i know how to replace it. most companies have part break down diagrams show where everything goes if you get lost.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
tomdiebomb

Most of the guys saying "don't buy RTR" on this thread probably never built an RC10/Tamiya Big Foot/Grasshopper from Scratch 20+ years ago. What you consider "building" now is a joke compared to what it was when I was in high school. The good RC cars back then came in hundreds of pieces that needed to be built from the ground up.

What the OP is calling "building" is simply adding a motor, an esc and maybe some metal gears. Pretty funny, because I enjoy my RTR mini E-Revo because it is twice as fast as any of the RC Cars I had and built in high school and with no hassles. So, yeah, I am all for BUY RTR, because some of us have jobs, kids, a wife, a life...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
oreo31

ORIGINAL: tomdiebomb

Most of the guys saying ''don't buy RTR'' on this thread probably never built an RC10/Tamiya Big Foot/Grasshopper from Scratch 20+ years ago. What you consider ''building'' now is a joke compared to what it was when I was in high school. The good RC cars back then came in hundreds of pieces that needed to be built from the ground up.

What the OP is calling ''building'' is simply adding a motor, an esc and maybe some metal gears. Pretty funny, because I enjoy my RTR mini E-Revo because it is twice as fast as any of the RC Cars I had and built in high school and with no hassles. So, yeah, I am all for BUY RTR, because some of us have jobs, kids, a wife, a life...
i totally agree with you. im not saying dont buy rtrs. i enjoy them because they give a sound foundation (if built correctly from the factory which they are majority of the time) to bulid off from. i was just saying if you want a kit that bad rtrs can be kits by just breaking them completely down.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
savagecommander

heres a good take on RTR's- i bought a slash- never needed to change anything. too many ppl are convinced RTR's are garbage, or they feel like they are "more accomplished" or "better" because they put theirs together.... seems kind of elitist to me... i guess the bottom line is, good car= good car, wether RTR or kit.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
oreo31

i have dealt with guys at the track that tried to give me slack about my truck being an rtr, but when we hit the track i showed them that even an rtr can compete. like my sig says it 1% hobby 99% deditcation. if you are dedicated enough you can make any car a good car by putting in the work and parts into your ride. i love rtr for one major fact: YOU'RE NOT EXPECTED TO WIN. so when you do it feels just that much better to me.

i dont hate on the kit guys for hating on me though. im there to have fun and enjoy some track time. most of the times that i have raced there has been no prizes for first or anything so im just out having fun like everyone else should be
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Side note your truck still ripping it up? And how is that HK esc holding up cause I'm thinking of getting one for my savage .21 I converted due the the MM getting way too hot that I had in it (slaped it in a Jammin X1 CRT I'm converting which is alot lighter than the savage)
Yep, its still running great. I was busing transmission gears, so I did a metal gear mod. It has all steel gears in the tranny now and the driveline seems to be holding up well. The ESC is working great. Im still running NiMh and I havent bought a programming card yet for it, but it works flawlessly and I have not had the 1st problem out of it. It always runs cool and performs good. Id buy another in a heartbeat. If you are needing one, I think its hard to beat for the money. Id like to upgrade batteries soon. I havent had much time to run as much as i would like though. I started a new job a little over a month ago and I have been pretty busy. Plus, Im getting married in about 2 months so a lot of my time and $$ is going other places.

Eric
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Yep, its still running great. I was busing transmission gears, so I did a metal gear mod. It has all steel gears in the tranny now and the driveline seems to be holding up well. The ESC is working great. Im still running NiMh and I havent bought a programming card yet for it, but it works flawlessly and I have not had the 1st problem out of it. It always runs cool and performs good. Id buy another in a heartbeat. If you are needing one, I think its hard to beat for the money. Id like to upgrade batteries soon. I havent had much time to run as much as i would like though. I started a new job a little over a month ago and I have been pretty busy. Plus, Im getting married in about 2 months so a lot of my time and $$ is going other places.

Eric
ahh good to hear its holding up well think my next HK order will have one on it with a few other things I've been eying on there

sorry for the slight thread jack let the flame war resume

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.