Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Yosh70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dont Buy RTR Brushless Trucks!

About the closest I ever got to a kit was my Ofna buggy....it was about 80% complete. The motor, ESC, servo, tires, wing, battery tray and a few odds and ends and it was RTR.

Of course after replacing all the cheaper parts with CNC machined parts (Hubs, braces, shock tower, etc.)  taking the diffs apart and putting in oil, replacing the shocks with 16mm big bores, I feel that is about as far as I want to go. I spend way too much time on it as it is and with 3 other RC's to maintain, I couldnt imagine starting from scratch like some others.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Eagleburger

I like how brushless has taken over(peoples minds).

Now I can buy better brushed gear than the cheap brushless gear for half the cost. Brushless doesn’t always mean better.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
oreo31

look guys now we're turning this into a brush vs brushless riot.... just do what you like and have fun with the hobby. we can go back and forth with pros and cons of every setup there is out there but it doesnt matter as long as we get out there and have fun what we do however we do it. imo if there was just one better way of doing it companies would only put out one product but there are many options out there to make everyone ENJOY this hobby. and thats what its all about, enjoying the hobby however you like
Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 PM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: Candre23

Aren't there like a dozen different racing classes? Why on earth don't they differentiate between brushed and brushless? When even a cheap BL setup will blow a good brushed setup out of the water, it seems like they shouldn't be allowing them to run in the same class.

Totaly not true.
I ran a 2 day event with a touring car on the oval with a Novak GTB and 17.5 on 2s lipo and got my butt handed to me by a gentleman running a 27 turn brushed on NIMH. Brushed systems still work and can work good if you know what you're doing. Sad thing is a lot of people in this hobby have gotten lazy. Throw the stuff in the corner untill Saturday afternoon, gather it up and go racing. I love the part of this game that is tuning motors, playing with gearing and cycling batteries.
Remember, a good set up with the right gearing and a good driver will win out every time. Fast is nothing without control!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Eagleburger

I like how brushless has taken over(peoples minds).

Now I can buy better brushed gear than the cheap brushless gear for half the cost. Brushless doesn’t always mean better.
i have the perfect scenario to prove it too.

your at a drag strip setting up your rc, you dont notice that the mesh is a little loose. you take your vehicle to test it and you hammer the throttle. on a brushed setup with a 10 cell nicad (because they are lighter) set up you pull away and do your run. when you when you get back you realize that the mesh is loose and you dont have a spare sur so you fix it and finish the day. if you had been running BL on 3s you would have stripped that spur smooth.

also, i know some tracks dont allow lipo. im not sure why they dont but my theory is they see lipo as a fire hazard.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i have the perfect scenario to prove it too.

your at a drag strip setting up your rc, you dont notice that the mesh is a little loose. you take your vehicle to test it and you hammer the throttle. on a brushed setup with a 10 cell nicad (because they are lighter) set up you pull away and do your run. when you when you get back you realize that the mesh is loose and you dont have a spare sur so you fix it and finish the day. if you had been running BL on 3s you would have stripped that spur smooth.

also, i know some tracks dont allow lipo. im not sure why they dont but my theory is they see lipo as a fire hazard.
lol, I'm not sure if you were trying to be serious, or if you were taking the piss?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM
savagecommander

im sure its because there is no contest between lipo and nicad
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
cumquat

it was more of a sleepy post. i was being half serous and half sarcastic and half funny.

oh, yeah. nicad isnt as bad as you think, the fisrt rc speed record was set with brushed/nicad with a speed of around 120.not exactly slow.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM
savagecommander

it was more of a sleepy post. i was being half serous and half sarcastic and half funny.

oh, yeah. nicad isnt as bad as you think, the fisrt rc speed record was set with brushed/nicad with a speed of around 120.not exactly slow.

i didnt say nicads were bad at all, i just said there wasnt a contest.

lets look at just one component of brushed motors- the magnets. they are ceramic style, and typically half the strength of neo magnets used in BL motors. this, in conjuction with most brushed motors only being wound with a single wire limits the current capacity, and thus the field strength. i know everybody has been in the hobby for 20 years and has an electrical engineering degree, and also has eyewitnessed information to prove to the contrary, but if you do the math, BL wil always beat brushed.

as far as the RTR discussion, a machine is only as good as its operator, and typically operator error is diagnosed as faulty equipment.. I.E "its an RTR"
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

i didnt say nicads were bad at all, i just said there wasnt a contest.

lets look at just one component of brushed motors- the magnets. they are ceramic style, and typically half the strength of neo magnets used in BL motors. this, in conjuction with most brushed motors only being wound with a single wire limits the current capacity, and thus the field strength. i know everybody has been in the hobby for 20 years and has an electrical engineering degree, and also has eyewitnessed information to prove to the contrary, but if you do the math, BL wil always beat brushed.

as far as the RTR discussion, a machine is only as good as its operator, and typically operator error is diagnosed as faulty equipment.. I.E ''its an RTR''
So if you lose a drag race because your running a rtr and the other person is running brushless its the drivers fault? Lets try to make sense.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 PM
cumquat

thats not what he said. he was saying that people pin their incompetent driving on crappy parts.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 AM
savagecommander

thats not what he said. he was saying that people pin their incompetent driving on crappy parts.
bingo
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Lilredmachine

There is no bigger fish, pound for pound, than brushless. No other system will put down more power for the weight, other than perhaps a hydrogen peroxide rocket system.

If you want proof... Check out this build. It uses a custom kevlar chassis built by the owner, a huge lehner brushless motor and MGM esc, runs 14s yet is the size of a normal Savage XL and it's RTR weight is just 13lbs, including the 14s lipos. So then, just consider that for a moment... 13 lbs, or, 5.9kg. How much power is this truck putting out?

This is a graph from a 400a data logger taken during a run, he hits full throttle twice, the two pink amp spikes about a third through the run. They peak over 200a each time. Look to your far left on the graph and you'll see the watts running up the side on the y-axis. You will see that they spike comfortably over 9000 watts... That's 9kw, or 12hp Giving this truck a power to weight ratio of roughly 2000hp/ton. Hammer blow, right there.

That is out of range of any nitro, brushed, gasoline motor you care to mention, and that fact it sits into a Savage sized truck is just awesome.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
savagecommander

no doubt. looks like he just fabbed up the body out of kevlar or hybrid fiberglass too- thats just plain nuts.

(i'll keep my responses short so ppl dont accuse me of needing to be medicated)