Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Traxxas slash/rustler/stampede/bandit Motor mounting problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas slash/rustler/stampede/bandit Motor mounting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas slash/rustler/stampede/bandit Motor mounting problem

Hey guys, i have a problem with my traxxas slash 2wd Transmission case. I tighten down the motor screws firm enough to go out running, But im now starting to notice some slop i can move the whole motor essembly (3500 vxl motor) about a 64th or as much as a 32nd of an inch back and forth, the motor clearly moves. i know down the road this might dust a few spur gears what do you think?, Im running washers behind 3x8mm button head motor screws, i was recently running in the sand but this was noticed before doing so, i took my dremel on low speed and a Brush head and tryed to clean out any debris that could be sitting in there, but still the motor has a very slight wobble, could it be the motor screw holes them selfs?, or the trans case?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Freequensee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas slash/rustler/stampede/bandit Motor mounting problem

I had a similar problem with my Slash. The plastic motor mount isn't good for long. What I did was use different size washers under some hex head screws. It worked for a while but I still had to re adjust the mesh time to time.

The best solution is to have an all aluminum motor mount.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Orion1024

Sounds like either the end of the motor is loose or the screws are too long. If they are 8mm long screws, they shouldn't be too long unless the washer head is severely bent out or the plastic of the transmission case is compressed. I think the plastic is about 4mm thick and there's 4.5mm depth in the motor holes. I've been using the HPI steel slipper plate for awhile now to protect the plastic from the motor screws and it's worked out well. Another thing I do is to 'cook' some green Loctite on the motor screws by heating it up with a lighter. You have to heat it up, let it cool down until it stops smoking, then heat it back up again and do this about five times. It turns into a thick, plastic like substance that works well to keep the motor screws in place without having to crank down on them.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Redvanmafia

Haha, that sounds wild!. Alright well i have bad news i pulled the bottom screw thru the motor plate a few days ago thats when i started to run washers but i think it's to late, it might be time for an aluminum one
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

how long did this first one last?
Sounds to me like you might be tightening them too much. My first tranny case lasted a year, and I project this one will last longer now I that I'm better at knowing when it is tight enough, and I use washers and locktite.
The aluminum tranny cases are heavy, my buddy got one, and I was surprised at the weight it added.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Redvanmafia

I never had this problem with my stampede witch is still alive after 4-5 years, i got this slash last year, and im just starting to notice this problem, i'll purchase a stock plastic trans case, Tightening the motor screws to much might of been my problems seems likely
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Dadx2mj
Banned

This is NOT TYPICAL FOR A Traxxas, so really this thread isnt necessary in my opinion.

Moderators: please see fit to delete this thread.