Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Honest truth! Stock slash durability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honest truth! Stock slash durability?

Hey im just wanting to know the honest truth.

In stock form is the traxxas slash durable??

I know people say its a tank but then you also hear about stuff breaking

e.g. castor blocks
F/R bearing carriers
F/R a-arms
Outdrives (yokes) snapping
Half shafts twisting off
Shock caps popping off
Shock towers breaking

What i want to know is just how much abuse can you put the slash through before it craps itself and something needs fixing??

Thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 AM
plasmaedge

Default RE: Honest truth! Stock slash durability?

In all honesty i would rather buy a slash due to it being more of a bashers platform

I am only a basher and the high ground clearance and capability attracts me more than the blitz.

Thanks your oppinions are appreciated
Old 07-16-2010, 02:18 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused.

anyway, my mate had a slash for about 30 minutes of use, hated everything about it.

sold it, and upgraded to a blitz.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 AM
G!NhO

@ TDWM: I wouldn't call it "upgrading".

I have a slash and nothing has broken yet, not that i make 100 feet jumps or something. I do love it, if you get/make a front sway bar it drives 10 times better on any surface. Only thing i hated was the spur and pinion as they became dust after running in the sand, so also get yourself 32P 58T spur and a 15T pinion.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: G!NhO

@ TDWM: I wouldn't call it "upgrading".
hmm, more reliable, more durable, possibly better handling.

ah, I can't see that as anything but an upgrade?

I drove the slash for about 5 minutes, and got a rock jammed in the steering within that time. My mate said it happened all the time.

plus the rear bumper falls off.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 AM
G!NhO

it's just a matter of opinion, slash=basher and blitz=racer.

Slash is 79 euro cheaper than the blitz both without battery/charger, and you can get alot of upgrade parts for that money.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:23 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

it's just a matter of opinion, slash=basher and blitz=racer.

Slash is 79 euro cheaper than the blitz both without battery/charger, and you can get alot of upgrade parts for that money.
ah, blitz = basher

Old 07-16-2010, 03:34 AM
G!NhO

You are the only one that says that, but the Blitz is more of a racer than a basher, slash has much greater ride hight for bashing.

But still the slash is much cheaper so basicly you can't even compare the two.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

You are the only one that says that, but the Blitz is more of a racer than a basher, slash has much greater ride hight for bashing.

But still the slash is much cheaper so basicly you can't even compare the two.
I never said the slash was a racer.

the only advantage the slash has, is that it puts the battery up way too high, putting the centre of gravity too high, and making it handle badly..

wait, thats not an advantage.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 AM
G!NhO

I never said you said slash was a racer.

But both have their pro's and cons, then end.

Answer to the OP's question is that the slash is really durable.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 AM
plasmaedge

Cool 

@ G!NhO - Where do you order your slash form thats its cheaper.

I cant find the slash anywhere for cheap.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 AM
G!NhO

Well i am from holland and the 2wd slash without battery/charger is 200euro and the blitz without battery/charger is 279euro.
On tower hobbies it's 241 with battery/charger and 258 with 2,4Ghz system but the blitz is 214 without it, i guess they don't have that version anymore.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plasma - The Slash is the most durable of the short course trucks period. The Blitz is a great truck but it's more of a racer/basher hybrid and comparing the two as far as durability goes the Slash is the clear winner. I currently own 4 Slashs and one Blitz and I love to race the Blitz but that's about it. It's not a fragile machine by any means and will take a beating but not like the Slash. As for what you have heard about breaking.

e.g. castor blocks - Never broken a single one on any of the Slashs or any of the other Traxxas 2WD trucks I own.
F/R bearing carriers - Again. Never broken a single one on any of the Slashs or any of the other Traxxas 2WD trucks I own.
F/R a-arms - Never broke a front arm on anything. I have broken a couple of rear arms. One on a Slash and a couple on Pedes.
Outdrives (yokes) snapping. Never had an outdrive break. i don't understand why they even sell a metal upgrade. What does Break is the stub axle where the wheel bolts on but this only happens on Brushless setups. Never hurt one on a brushed setup.
Half shafts twisting off - Never had one break but I noticed the shafts on my VXL powered Slash starting to twist the last time I cleaned it. That is to be expected. The VXL gets run on 3S almost constantly and it's been in the truck for 2 yrs.
Shock caps popping off - This is a problem for some. It did happen t me on my VXL bandit but that was due to overfilled shocks. I was in a hurry and didn't cycle the shocks after refilling.
Shock towers breaking - Never broke one on any of the traxxas trucks.

Of course you can break anything if you try hard enough and some people mistakenly think their Slash doubles as an airplane (i'm guilty of this as well) and try to jump it over their house, fly it as far as they can at the skate park etc. When you do stuff like that you need to expect things to break and be prepared to fix them when they do. Under normal racing and bashing you'll be hard pressed to break the big parts.

The only thing that does break are the stock spur. Too much power or setting the slipper too tight can strip the spur. This really isn't a problem on stock trucks but VXL powered models will strip the teeth off the spur pretty easy of you are not careful. The stub axles mentioned above and lastly the stock Titan motor IF it's not properly broken in and cared for. Even then you can get a bad one and break off a brush etc.

I have never seen or heard of a rock get caught in the steering of a Slash and certainly never seen the bumper fall off. In order for the bumper to fall off 4 screws would have to completely back out of the trans housing or you would have to break the trans.

Getting back to the Blitz (keep in mind that I own one and race it). It is a great truck after you spend about $80 to fix it. The stock Servo is JUNK period. The ESC is OK but tends to live a fairly short life. Mine died on the second run, HPI replaced it and that one died 4 runs later so plan on replacing it. The Stock motor is severely underpowered and makes the truck boring to drive but it tends to live forever.

Look at it this way. If you are beating on a Slash bad enough to break Shock towers, Arms, Hubs etc then a Blitz does have a chance. That's the honest truth... Anyone that has honestly owned both trucks will tell you the same. If you wanna strictly bash then get the Slash. If you want to bash mildly and race some then get the Blitz but have about $80 laying around to fix the Blitz's short comings.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 AM
positron

I didnt break anything when mine was stock, just popped a few shock caps.

when I went brushless I broke a rear hub, when I went 3s I killed a yoke and bent a shock.

All got replaced with stronger parts.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM
The Mad Modder

Really, when you figure in that RPM makes about as many upgrades for the blitz as the slash, the blitz can be made just as durable as the slash can be made, yet has better handling.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I've had my Slash for over a year, and have only bent shock shafts, broke 1 rod end on a front shock from hitting curb at 25 mph, and that's about the only real damage I can think of. Oh and bent a few hinge pins. They are almost a year old. The rear stock bumper stayed on well, but I use that Traxxas wheelie bar and it can crack from bad landings. Outdrives, I may have snapped 1 or 2 from brushless abuse on 3s, stub axle maybe.

I run my Slash into poles, curbs, land upside down, sideways, backward, on the rear bumper, nose in, cartwheel for 15 feet, slide on the roof for 20 ft, crash head on into a pole, hit a lip on the curb (not a smooth edge, an ugly 2-3" sharp bump) and launch 4 ft into the air at 30 mph landing 10 ft further wrong side up.

Pretty much should have broken a LOT of stuff, but I can't seem to find its weakness. In comparison I did break more parts (caster and arms) on my Rustler (which was converted/used up to make my Slash).
Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

My slash has been the most durable of any car ive owned.I bought it as my first hobby grade,2-2 1/2 years ago, than it was a rustler, converted it close to a year ago.2 years of the most abuse ive put through any car, and the only damage is some popped shock caps and 2 busted a arms.I put it through stuff my maxx snaps in half even attempting.(Literally, and twice) I have stripped many a spur gears though.Id like a metal, but at around $20 ill stick to plastic for now. Ran it into car tires, 10 foot jumps, mailbox posts, oncoming traffic,trees,cats,ceramic gnomes,stairs,a dresser,dirt tracks,a shed,garage doors, a screened in patio,concrete blocks,more flips than i can count, and no rocks in the steering.All that and than some, and it comes back for more.Couldnt be happier
Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
rc theman

well when my slash was bone stock it got ran over by a movers truck , only thing that broke was a shock cap and i just poped it back on and drove the rest of the batterie
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

this forum has far too much brand loyalty to actually get any intelligent responses about one brand versus another.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
G!NhO

Some of the guys above have a blitz and slash so don't wine.... You seem like a fanboy.....
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheyDontWantMusic

this forum has far too much brand loyalty to actually get any intelligent responses about one brand versus another.

I've been in RC for 24+ years and own cars from a dozen or more different brands (About 65 cars in the current collection) including both brands in question. In all honesty i'm more of a Tamiya fan than anything else but they don't make real good hardcore bashers so.....

I also happen to own and race both trucks in question. I've had Slashs since they where released and been running the Blitz for about a year and a half so my views are solid. You said you drove a Slash for 5 mins and your friend owned and drove one for 30 mins. Doesn't seem like a lot of time to form a solid opinion.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 years in the hobby here and the Slash is the most durable R/C I've ever owned. I beat on my first slash with VXL bad and the only thing I ever broke was the servo saver and I popped a shock cap. I sold it to fund an ERBE though and ended up regretting it. Now I bought another one and again stuck a VXL in it. I have yet to break anything on it.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Dirt_hawg

When I first got my slash I didnt like it much.It was just too slow..I have sence installed a VXL brushless system in it and lipo now this is my fav basher..I broke the front shock tower and a-arms..Replace with rpm when they break and dont look back..Also I reccomend aluminum shock caps..Ive never blown any caps off after putting the aluminum ones on.This is a very tough truck..I beat the hell out of mine and it surprises me how durable it is..
Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 PM
scottb32
My Feedback: (-1)

I've owned a Slash, SC10, and Blitz (in that order). All 3 were run, jumped, on asphalt/dirt with brushless only. The Slash was fun - broke a front knuckle and cracked 3 of 4 wheels (wheels still worked -but out of balance) - but the car took a fair amount of abuse. SC10 broke a-arm 3rd run (buy RPM). It handled much better than the Slash (lower cg) - but a arms fragile (and body somewhat thin).

Bought two Blitz(s) 2 months ago (probably 40 runs each, me and my son - with brushless). Have to say, they are very durable (so far - cross fingers).

All 3 trucks are good, but I found the Blitz to have SC10 handling (except for steering asbly) with Slash durability. It also looks the best of all 3 and has the articulated bumper (from the Baja - good for my son who sometimes hits curbs). You can't go wrong with any of these trucks - but the Blitz, in my opinion, is superior.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM
palmdes1

I own a track and use the Slash as a rental car. I think the Slash was the best idea Traxxas ever had, and what made it so much better than the T-Maxx was that out of the box, nothing breaks. I race the car 3 times a week for the past few months and Nothing has broken. This is stock right out of the box- stock tires, stock radio gear, stock motor/esc, etc.. The only thing I did was add some diff oil and fine tune the shocks but that is because of handling, not durability. The Slash is also better on the track than most people give it credit for. It all depends on how much you crash it though. I rarely crash the truck but for rentals it gets pretty beat up-no breakage though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.