Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL or Slash 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
donaldpmoran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler VXL or Slash 4x4

Having trouble deciding between which one to get. Like the top speed of the Rustler and the 4x4 of the Slash. Don't want to overheat the Slash and at the same time the wheelies would probably get really old on the Rustler. Of course a wheelie bar would help. Just looking for opinions, nobody has a wrong one. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM
dj_sparky

Default RE: Rustler VXL or Slash 4x4

I'd say the Rustler for bashing, and Slash for more race oriented driving/bashing. You can obviously use it for full on bashing as well, but it has way more control than the Rustler cause of the 4wd.

The Rustler will still wheelie all the time unless you put the wheelie bar down to the ground. Speed runs will be much, much easier with the Slash.

I'd say the Slash has much more potential than the Rustler. But, there's fewer things that can go wrong with the Rustler. 2wd, simple construct.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Cleared2Engage

Just depends on what you're looking to do more of and what you want to get out of it. The 4x4 is a great basher with it's all wheel drive and improved control over the Rustler. Control in the air will also be better with the 4 wheeler (pitch control using throttle/brake). Remember also that the 4x4 will require a little more maintenance due to its higher parts count.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM
514_slash

Get the slash you will not be dissapointed.

I have the ultimate myself now for a little over a month,I use it pretty much everyday to every 2 days.
I jump it everyday,it handles beyond beleif so fast on a baseball diamond sideways,it gos in the deepest mucky yucky puddles and even small swamps you could call.

I havn;t broken enything on it.Its taken some nice spills,but those huge bumpers make the truck that much more amazing,having the confidence knowing they are there and will take the hit instead of the truck ( like a rustler ) just lets you have that much more fun and not have to worry about the bank.

My friends rustler breaks all the time,I will never own one cause of him,it doesn't even take off strait cause one wheel spins more then the other.
Rwd is no fun unless you like doing to speeds, ( at that the my slash launchs faster and take it )

I love my slash ultimate,my battery life holds longer then my friends rustler too,im guessing cause my 4 wheel drive puts the power down so im not wasting as much juice spinning all the time.

me:7cell 4200mah
him rustler:7 cell 5000mah

And his is always dead before mine.

Trust me,get a slash you will love it,maybe save a bit more coin and get a ultimate,seriously you will not be dissapointed.
Buy online too,you will save quite a few bucks.

I will be glad to answer eny questions you have about the slash.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

the slash 4x4 is a bit needy on the maintnence side as far as the drive line from what ive read. where as the rusty is all around idiot proof, had my pede (same tranny, bulk, etc) for 11 years and its still going (sort of)

the 4wd is a major plus though depending on your point of view and driving style and surface. if setup right a 2wd stadium truck can handle as good as 4wd truck but thats not something most beginners are able to do (no offense).
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
514_slash

The only problem with the 4x4 of the slash is the size of the shaft VS the channel ( ie in the automotive world : TUNNEL ) is far to narrow for the size of the shaft+ the cut out hole in the front wich LOVES to pick up rocks,wood watever it wants too.

The first day owning it,I removed the driveshaft cover because it just packed up with rocks and they just jammed everything.
My driveshaft is all scored up with rocks and other objects that get in there.Mainly rocks.

The worst is a baseball diamond,those little rocks love to get sucked in and trapped.
I will take a photo for you.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
donaldpmoran

Cool, thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Slash. I have a 4wd buggie right now and with where I run it the Slash would probably be best. I probably am not going to have the room to go all out on the Rustler anyway so 40mph in the neiborhood will be perfectly fine.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
514_slash

Here is wat Iwas talking about,in the picture ( do to the flash ) the anodizing looks "sanded smooth"but its scores ( oh no my eye-candy )

Seriously the only problem Ihave had with it.

And yes thats a bearing race to the right wich actualy tore up today because my slipper assembly was loose and I didn't notice.
If you ask me,totaly my fault for not checking things as Irutinely do.

Ilove it,and Itotaly recomend one to enyone.hope you have as much fun as me.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: donaldpmoran

Having trouble deciding between which one to get. Like the top speed of the Rustler and the 4x4 of the Slash. Don't want to overheat the Slash and at the same time the wheelies would probably get really old on the Rustler. Of course a wheelie bar would help. Just looking for opinions, nobody has a wrong one. Thanks.

Welcome fellow Great Falls lander (only in Butte for college, born and raised in GF).
First off, I would like to say your post is much better than most others that would simply come here asking simply "which is better".

I haven't had any personal experience with either of the vehicles in question, but I would suggest the 4x4. First off, you'll get good speed with it, even with a 7S NiMH. 2S lipo and it will really wake up. The 4x4 is also, 4 wheel drive, which will help in almost all aspects of driving (and racing at your new track )

Also, the 2WD stadium truck class is kind of dead (not sure if it is specifically in GF or not?). But with the slash 4x4 you'll probably have lots of race buddies. You might now think that you don't care about racing, but as soon as you start driving with other people and even more specifically on the track, you'll start to enjoy racing (if you don't already.)
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 PM
rc addicted

hey i own a rustler vxl with an all aluminum conversion kit its great good things about the rustler is parts are cheaper easy maintence for such a fast powerful car is extremely fast wheelie bar is a must but only if you got a heavy finger i can control the wheelies pretty well. amazing acceleration and top speed... i highly suggest it over the slash.. the only thing the slash has going for it is the 4x4. the rustler also doesnt  flip as easy....andaconda tires are a must if driving on road the stock tires are great in dirt but will wear off fast. very manuvrable great car