Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

XTM rail, is it good.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
BLR o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTM rail, is it good.

I am really considering buying one of the XTM rails, but before i dump 500 dollars, i want to hear some things from anybody who has owned one.

How are the electronics, are they good?, its said to have a metal gear servo and airtronics 2.4 ghz radio. has anyone had any problem with them?

if you look at the esc, it almost looks like one of the crummy ez runs, has anybody had problems with that?

Based on the vidoes ive seen, this thing most have some power to get it moving, because it must weigh ALOT, so do the gears hold up well to the stress?

Even though it looks very strong, i am bound to break something eventually, so how is the parts availability for it?

does this truck use odd sized tires, that will be really hard to find at the lhs?

What website can i buy one from? i looked on amainhobbies, but no dice.

here is a video of it! its the coolest 1/8 buggy i have ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfy9f...eature=related
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE: XTM rail, is it good.

Looks cool.. Never heard of xtm.. How is the parts support?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
BLR o

maybe i should try my luck in the 1/8 buggys form

Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

XTM generally has ridiculous replacement parts prices.

a pair of XTM X-terminator suspension arms cost more than Mugen MBX5R suspension arms[X(]

The X-Terminator is/was a $300 RTR!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Lilredmachine

Want. Want now. Will give left testicle for alloy rollcaged 1/8th brushless buggy.

I had a Mammoth Pro, and it was breathtaking. The more budget stuff is cheap and cheerful, but you only have to take a look at the stuff they produce such as the super crawler and Mammoth pro to see that they really do not lack any quality, particularly in the area of cnc machined 7075 parts, which the Mpro almost entirely consists of.

And yes, replacement parts are very expensive, think 120+ for a set of oem alloy arms. Not that you are likely to break them, of course.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM
JoshJ

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Want. Want now. Will give left testicle for alloy rollcaged 1/8th brushless buggy.

WHATDIDNTNEEDTOREADTHAT!!!

Lol jk, but it looks like a very nice buggy. If I had 500 bucks, I would probably save it, but if I had 1000 dollars, Id save half, and buy this
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
BLR o

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

And yes, replacement parts are very expensive, think 120+ for a set of oem alloy arms. Not that you are likely to break them, of course.
i have a feeling that in a year or so this buggy will probably be floating around for 400 usd or less, and i figure, if worst comes to worst, ill just machine some new parts.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a nice basher buggy. Really like the chassis and cage.

I'm actually pretty thrilled to see 1/8 scale buggy paddle tires..those haven't been available for a long time! If anything I may pick-up a set of those!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:18 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Pro-Line's been making them for years haven't they?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 AM
ozzie-crawl

looks like a nice buggy,would think for 4s it would be faster,my hyper 10sc with a 3s does 50 mph.and my mate converted a hyper 7 buggy to electric with castle 1512 1y does 60 with i think 13 tooth pinion.
but still its a sweet looking rig
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
BLR o

This truck is supposed to be available as of late july, so im going to make a trip to the hobby shop this weekend

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
positron

<meta charset="utf-8">
they sell these as the Great Vigor cage in Australia, review in a magazine said it shares parts with one of there other buggys. I like the look of it, someone on an Aussie forum had the ESC die.
I'd be interested in one if there was more parts support
heres a good video of the "cage" in action
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n7XyYP55is[/youtube]
</meta>
Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
BLR o

ORIGINAL: positron

<meta charset="utf-8">
they sell these as the Great Vigor cage in Australia, review in a magazine said it shares parts with one of there other buggys. I like the look of it, someone on an Aussie forum had the ESC die.
I'd be interested in one if there was more parts support
heres a good video of the "cage" in action
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n7XyYP55is[/youtube]

how long have they been available for, im actually more interested in the nitro version now too!

</meta>
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Zehner189

I have a Rail. Had it about 3 weeks now and I absolutly love it! It's fast, fun, easy, and very fun to set up. That said here is what I've come across.

The cage is alloy however it has a big weak spot on the top. The roof plate is held by to plastic crossbars, which isn't a bad thing but the holes they drilled through the main bars made a hell of a weakspot. So that split there after a few crashes. So to fix that I put a vertical post in the middle of it and that fixed that problem. The second issue I came across was the whole front end. The way they designed the aarms and hubs is poor, and is very weak, it broke after about 4 runs which is what I've heard from other owners. I fixed that by completely changing it over to XTM's nitro front end with all alloy aarms, a C-hub, and alloy steerying hub. That thing is super strong now and has hit a few things and just bounces back and keeps on rolling. The last and final issue is the ESC, if the car gets jarred pretty hard the ESC will "reset". It''s very annoying. I'm going to install a mamba 2650kv next week.

All that negative stuff aside I still love the car. Ihad a brushless e-revo, and liked it at first but it just kept breaking all the damn time. It drove me nuts. I'd take it out for a run, and it'd break, a week after I'd fix that something else would break! I ended up paying well over $300 in parts fixing everything that kept break.

The rail is an awesome idea with minor flaws that will need to be ironed out. Thankfully XTM has a lot of interchangable parts, and Ihave a great XTM dealer in Cali that I get all my stuff from. He works with me with pretty much anything, and knows a lot about XTM's products.

I give the Rail a 4 out of 5 stars. The esc may be weak, but the rest of the car is great. If you have one and have any questions or want one and have any questions just message me on here or email me. [email protected]. I'll be happy to provide part numbers and put you in contact with my parts guy.

Happy motoring!
Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 AM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg
How is the parts support?
HobbyPeople carries parts for XTM or you can mail order direct from http://www.globalhobby.com/
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: BLR o

I am really considering buying one of the XTM rails, but before i dump 500 dollars, i want to hear some things from anybody who has owned one.

How are the electronics, are they good?, its said to have a metal gear servo and airtronics 2.4 ghz radio. has anyone had any problem with them?

if you look at the esc, it almost looks like one of the crummy ez runs, has anybody had problems with that?

Based on the vidoes ive seen, this thing most have some power to get it moving, because it must weigh ALOT, so do the gears hold up well to the stress?

Even though it looks very strong, i am bound to break something eventually, so how is the parts availability for it?

does this truck use odd sized tires, that will be really hard to find at the lhs?

What website can i buy one from? i looked on amainhobbies, but no dice.

here is a video of it! its the coolest 1/8 buggy i have ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfy9f...eature=related
That esc is a ZWT like the one hobby king sells. Not the best but no RTR esc is, unless it says mamba on the box somewhere

8th scale esc's have not got where they need to be as far durability goes. The tekin and castle both have high failure rates.

But I like the look of the buggy,.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Zehner189

I don't like hobby people because they don't carry all the parts for the Rail.  If you go to www.xtm-dealer.com/zencart they have pretty much everything XTM makes.  I call the guy for anything I need.  He even through in some free stuff for me.  He has been dealing XTM for a long time.

As far as speed, and gearing yes it is pretty fast even though the thing weighs about 15lbs.  I've used 4s 30c's in mine it it will sit and spin all 4 tires for about half a second before taking off.   It uses 3 differentials which I love cause it won't do backflips like the damn revo.  It's very easy to keep under control. 

The dealer website I put above is good for all stock and aftermarket parts.  Here is the stock parts replacement website. 

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/145633.asp

That should get you all started. 
Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the look of the buggy is undeniable. and with 4wd, and a full set of paddle tires(which i feel should have been put on it RTR) it will be a blast to drive at any beach or sand pit.
if i had the cash, i would buy one in a second.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Zehner189
The last and final issue is the ESC, if the car gets jarred pretty hard the ESC will ''reset''. It''s very annoying.
Just thought I would give you an Idea. Im pretty sure those ESC's are a lot like the ones hobbyking sells, which is the same thing I have in my Associated MGT. The ESC works great, and I wouldnt trade it for a castle personally.

But I have something you may want to try before giving up on the ESC. I have heard that the reason some of those ESC's do that is because the on/off/reset switch is bad quality and when it gets jarred, it momentarily turns off and back on just because of losing internal connection for a split second. Try wiring up a new switch, or hotwiring it all together before you swap the ESC. I bet that might fix your problem.

I had an XTM XT2 buggy and loved it. Extremely tough built and they are quality made. I bet the rail will be pretty nice for the most part. I sure like the looks myself.

Eric
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
OvalRacer99

XTM makes some good stuff but part support is hit and miss. I am lucky in that the local hobby shop stocks parts, but most do not. Hobbypeople.com is the best on line store I have found for XTM stuff.
Heres more info: http://xtm.globalhobby.com/
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM
littlebuddha
My Feedback: (17)

Hey guys, trying to get a definitive forum for new owners and potential owners so that we can help each other with the rail -i.e mods, getting parts and interchanging parts between other xtm trucks. Most forums have not been updated in a while and I had problems finding good info - hopefully we can change that.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-thread-3.html

If you guys are interested please head over here and provide input on the buggy. Sorry if its not rcu - but rctech community is pretty fantastic! thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
4goodbuys2

You might want to check the 1/8 hpi vorza or 1/10 scale brahma .
Old 12-22-2010, 10:53 AM
hpiracr28

yEA xtm USED TO MAKE ENGINES TOO. mY BUDDY HAD ONE FOR HIS SAVAGE AND IT HAD A LOT OF POWER FOR A .25. IT WOULD WHEELIE WITHOUT BEING BROKEN IN. ITS LLOOKS PRETTY SWEET, BUT I WOULD WAIT FOR MORE REVIEWS FOR IT JUST TO MAKE SURE.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Hey, bro, there's this key under your "Tab" key. You might want to hit it.

XTM never "made" engines, they simply had SH rebrand them for them.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Hey, bro, there's this key under your "Tab" key. You might want to hit it.

XTM never "made" engines, they simply had SH rebrand them for them.

^_^ hahaha subtle hint there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.